Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 104379 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #915 on: February 09, 2023, 04:06:35 am »

Damn being able to see what's going on in the lower Z levels would be a magical thing, wish DDA would get that.

Probably need to look into Bright Nights more, I've been meaning to play it but I still haven't.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 09, 2023, 04:31:57 am »

I know it's missing nested containers and a good bit of random contributions here and there that we do want to port over some day, but been trying to work on whatever improvements I can. Been in a bit of a slump lately and busy with IRL stuff a lot so hadn't gotten the time and energy to work on everything I'd been meaning to.

But hopefully soon...plus, I'm another step closer to having Arcana and Magic Items in a state where I can set aside a 0.2 release, and start deciding how to break its folders up for inclusion PRs. Coolthlhu had suggested I add my mod as an in-repo mod at some point so we have in-repo usage of some of the features that might otherwise only get slapped on a debug item.

Maybe my less constantly-in-development mods like MST Extra, Medieval Mod Reborn, or Tankmod: Revived would be good candidates for the future too...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 09, 2023, 05:41:53 am »

Damn being able to see what's going on in the lower Z levels would be a magical thing, wish DDA would get that.

Probably need to look into Bright Nights more, I've been meaning to play it but I still haven't.
Actually DDA has it.

Go into options and enable Z-level vision (Debug tab). It says it's very buggy but I haven't run into many bugs and I used it for a year. Do note that it means things will also see you from below/above. But all worth it for being able to shoot or spear from rooftops.

As for BN... yeah I tried it a year ago and didn't like it very much. Maybe because I'm one of those weirdos who likes realism, heh.

BTW ima go and start posting DDA news. We're in a string and content and feature freeze as experimental is in a cleanup phase where the bugs are being fixed and it's nearly over so there's not much besides mods. A pretty big one that just dropped is this: https://github.com/Standing-Storm/MindOverMatter

I've been trying it and I like it more than Magiclysm. It's more lowkey sure but it's less in-your-face.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 05:43:26 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 09, 2023, 06:33:39 am »

A big-ass list of every PR merged since 0.1 can be seen on the changelog list for the 0.2 release: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/releases/tag/cbn-0.2

Oh i missed the news that CBN reached their 0.2 milestone, congratulations !

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 09, 2023, 07:23:36 pm »

Anyone have any experience with the Blast Shutters vehicle part? In the description when installing it, it says a door motor allows you to remotely open or close it from the vehicle controls. In my experience, that's not true. You can manually open and shut them, but there is no option in the vehicle controls to manipulate them.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 09, 2023, 08:44:26 pm »

Anyone have any experience with the Blast Shutters vehicle part? In the description when installing it, it says a door motor allows you to remotely open or close it from the vehicle controls. In my experience, that's not true. You can manually open and shut them, but there is no option in the vehicle controls to manipulate them.
You need a dashboard or electronics control unit, not controls. That description should probably be changed.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 09, 2023, 09:08:43 pm »

You need a dashboard or electronics control unit, not controls. That description should probably be changed.

Ah, thanks. I'll look for those parts in game.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 10, 2023, 03:26:52 am »

Actually DDA has it.

Go into options and enable Z-level vision (Debug tab). It says it's very buggy but I haven't run into many bugs and I used it for a year. Do note that it means things will also see you from below/above. But all worth it for being able to shoot or spear from rooftops.
Forgot all about that one since I tried that thing once since it was really laggy when I last messed with it and I never heard anything about it getting messed with so I forgot about it, but you make it sound like it works better than it did so I'll give it another try.

Also that Psionics mod sounds interesting gonna give it a try.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 10, 2023, 04:42:41 am »

Actually DDA has it.

Forgot all about that one since I tried that thing once since it was really laggy when I last messed with it and I never heard anything about it getting messed with so I forgot about it, but you make it sound like it works better than it did so I'll give it another try.

Also that Psionics mod sounds interesting gonna give it a try.
Lower the range if it's laggy. 2 or 3 is enough for shooting from rooftops.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 10, 2023, 01:04:16 pm »

Ah, thanks. I'll look for those parts in game.

So, installed an electronics control unit and a dashboard, still no luck. No option to control Blast Shutters

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 10, 2023, 08:57:15 pm »

Tried both e and ^?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 11, 2023, 01:33:00 pm »

I'd probably keep it at a fairly low setting and use it as a way to ratchet up tension in decision making rather than to make the game really real-time.

That setting, if I ever had the time to learn how it works and how to code this myself, I'd make it so that if you're in Safe Mode it doesn't advance, but when you're not it'll start to take effect. Makes your base properly safe, then forces you to have to make decisions when danger is afoot.

And also ya know fix the issue RD mentioned :P

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #927 on: February 12, 2023, 04:58:38 am »

There needs to be a Cataclysm DDA and Space Station 13 crossover.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 12, 2023, 03:41:33 pm »

The answer is always clowns.

Meanwhile in BN, I've gotten the time and energy to do some more PRs recently. Latest stuff that's open:
1. Improvements to the code fori putting yourself out when on fire, based on discussion on the BN discord with Kheir. In a nutshell, the time threshold for deciding to stop drop and roll is absurdly high. The on-fire duration needs to be over a minute, and it's pretty much garuanteed your limbs will melt off well before you rack up that much duration in the first place. The PR reduces the threshold to be low enough that you'll choose the more effective method unless the duration is low enough that a single round of patting yourself down is reasonably likely to actually be sufficient. Also combined with making the actual impact of patting yourself down less of a joke.
2. Some major code and JSON tweaks to leech plant monsters, giving me the freedom to spawn them in more places. Basically, leech plants have a life cycle that makes them lag machines on par with the fungals. This implements several changes to help rein in their growth rate. It also incorporates the signal tree, which otherwise doesn't do anything and only shows up in a single mission, into the leech pant's life cycle. It also gains a special attack that, in contrast to the direct offensive abilities all the other leech plants favor, instead fills a support role.
3. Changes to the ancient and almost never-used jabberwock map extra. The main thing it does is allow the otherwise-unused pre-evolutions of the jabberwock, the fleshy shambler and flesh golem, to actually appear in game by having the map extra spawn a fleshy shambler instead of a jabberwock (which will then go on to evolve into a flesh golem, then a jabberwock). This in turn makes the jabberwock map extra less deadly, justifying using it in the pool for building map extras too, like with how they're also allowed in research centers. Finally, I removed an extra layer of rarity that was hidden in the hardcode, that seems to have been a holdover from the old days when the map extra pool for forests wasn't massively bloated by groves and the like.

And on top of that, I've done some things for Arcana too:
1. Expanded the curious structure and fleshed it out a lot more. Previously it was very small relative to the impact site and sanguine ruins, with only 3 mapgen tiles that actually mattered, compared to 7 and 8 tiles of importance respectively. Now the area actually looks more like something a small group of mage hunters could've used as a hideout, and the bottom level has been fleshed out a fair bit. In particular the actual finale looks more like an overt intrusion of otherworldly influence, breaking into and overtaking the structure.
2. Added another martial art. I've repeatedly had it requested that the Keepers gain some sort of martial art that fits them, especially fitting the use of the restored ritual blade for Paragon of The Veil characters to use. Problem is, in-lore the Keepers only had seven original Chosen, and only seven ritual relics (of which the cursed blade is the only one the player can come across, which can then be fixed up). It wouldn't make sense for a special martial arts system with so few users to have its own book, copied everywhere and spawning in every Keeper-associated location. So instead I put together a more general martial art that's autolearned with the right skills, much like how brawling autolearns with basic melee skill. It's designed to imply a general understanding of how to make more effective use of magic weapons in general, with a few special bonuses that only the cursed blade and restored ritual blade can access. Thus implying that a survivor who picks up on this style is basically relearning from scratch a way to apply what they learned, and that the original users of those otherworldly relics did the same rather than having a unique martial arts system like with the Cleansing Flame or the Sanguine Order's shrikes.
3. Also expanded the strange grove location some, along with some fleshing out of relevant note snippets. Same vein as with the curious structure, the strange grove was even smaller with only 2 map tiles period, now bumped up to 4. Shows more overgrowth, and paints a clearer picture of what the place used to be like before it was abandoned and then subsequently infested with anomalies. The notes and changes to corpse spawns also help better establish the timeline of what happened to the place.
4. Added some dialogue and mission stuff pertaining to Hub 01. This makes it so, if you've done missions for Hub 01, you can use them as an option for completing some of the rural church missions. When trying to find info on Project Kairos for Nicholas, they can direct you to a side mission with a small storage location in exchange for bringing back something they want.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 12, 2023, 03:44:37 pm »

It's called Barotrauma
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 73