Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 803590 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Hype Never Changes
« Reply #390 on: June 09, 2015, 01:00:08 am »

I would like to see them make use of these systems rather than remove them.

I preferred how Morrowind handled guilds with joining and advancement being restricted depending on your level in the relevant skills and major associated statistic. Also things like paying guild dues and contributing research or artifacts to gain the higher ranks which in turn allowed access to the spell makers and better sellers.

Joining the mages guild in Morrowind required an Intelligence of 30 and Willpower of 30, advancing to the next level required one skill at level 10 and so it went.
Advancing to Archmage required Intelligence and Willpower to both be at 35 and for one mage skill to be 90 with 2 others at 35.

The biggest gripe I had with Skyrim was with the mages guild. If you want to join you have to show your proficiency by casting one spell out of three (Flame, shield and muffle or something). However, if you don't know those spells then the bridge keeper offers to sell the books to you for something like 15 gold. For a supposedly closely guarded community the level of entry is very low. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 09, 2015, 02:27:30 am »

Although I kinda understand the reason why speech is as OP as it is (being a silver-tongued devil would most likely get you out of a lot of trouble IRL as well) I do find I use it out of character veeeeeery often in New Vegas. For example, my latest character, specializing in strength and sneaky melee for some reason also has 100 of speech which I use exclusively to get out of fights I don't really feel like doing.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 09, 2015, 02:37:42 am »

Personally I like Fallout 3/NV's way of dealing with skills/stats way better than any of the elder scrolls. Skyrim's hp/mana/fatigue stuff is bland, sure, but I actually think it's a slight improvement over the tedious way that stats improve as you level up. I know you're probably fine if you just let it be and play naturally but it invites perfectionism by making you feel like you aren't doing as best as you could unless you play weirdly, especially with Oblvion's level scaling. 

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 09, 2015, 03:10:49 am »

The biggest gripe I had with Skyrim was with the mages guild. If you want to join you have to show your proficiency by casting one spell out of three (Flame, shield and muffle or something). However, if you don't know those spells then the bridge keeper offers to sell the books to you for something like 15 gold. For a supposedly closely guarded community the level of entry is very low. :P
From my understanding, it was less if you knew how to cast those and more if you had the capability to cast them.  Plus, you didn't even need to cast a spell to get in.  Just yell really loudly.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 09, 2015, 03:16:20 am »

From my understanding, it was less if you knew how to cast those and more if you had the capability to cast them.  Plus, you didn't even need to cast a spell to get in.  Just yell really loudly.
Thing is, you already KNOW flames to start with.
Every since character you make no matter what race knows flames.

Which is why I like mods which removes starter spells altogether.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 09, 2015, 03:21:18 am »

I think it's a psychological test as well. Most Nords disdain magic, so they wouldn't cast a spell just to get in and cause trouble.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 09, 2015, 03:25:39 am »

I think the capacity to buy a spellbook and learn a spell in 10 seconds is a pretty impressive achievement.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 09, 2015, 03:27:15 am »

So, unrelated note: No matter how they try, Bethesda will never be able to top the majesty of Muggy. Never.
Black lives matter.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 09, 2015, 03:36:09 am »

That's your biggest gripe? Not the fact that you go from a nobody they've never seen before to grandmaster of the whole guild in like, 3 days and you can do so without knowing any advanced magic of any sort?

Anyway, I don't mind it so much... TES has always been a sort of a "screw around and do whatever you want" type game, not some kind of super serious class based restrictive game. It's just how the series is.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 09, 2015, 03:48:05 am »

and that's why morrowind required at least 3 playthroughs IIRC to get every quest...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 09, 2015, 04:17:12 am »

and that's why morrowind required at least 3 playthroughs IIRC to get every quest...

But the only house worth joining was Telvanni....
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 09, 2015, 04:25:16 am »

while true, it's not what we're talking about

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 09, 2015, 04:28:15 am »

That's your biggest gripe? Not the fact that you go from a nobody they've never seen before to grandmaster of the whole guild in like, 3 days and you can do so without knowing any advanced magic of any sort?

Well, it's kind of the same thing. No real restrictions to advancement in a guild.

As for the houses in Morrowind, their different themes was appreciated by me. Fighters for Redoran, Thieves for Hlaalu and Mages for Telvanni.

Tying back into Fallout 4; if it does include the institute I would like to see more restrictions for quests that only apply for really smart characters. They might treat you like dumb muscle if you don't reach their standards but show your ability and you could gain access to neat items, weapons or the like. Helps present the personality of the place as well if that's the case. Disdain for anyone seen as being barbaric.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 09, 2015, 04:30:42 am »

You know... I kind of wish the "Weirdness" trait was just flat out removed from Fallout and just left in the game.

I hate that I need a trait to fight aliens.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 09, 2015, 04:31:50 am »

>if it does include the institute

1. the institute is in the Commonwealth

2. The Commonwealth is Massachusetts

3. Therefore, the Institute likely refers to MIT

4. MIT is in Cambridge, Massachusetts, which is in the Boston metropolitan area

5. There's an Android in the Fallout 4 trailer (guy in Mysterious Strangerish outfit)

6. Yeah, the institute's in the game

You know... I kind of wish the "Weirdness" trait was just flat out removed from Fallout and just left in the game.

I hate that I need a trait to fight aliens.

Some people would hate if there are aliens at all.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 462