Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804515 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Paid Mods??! Not Big Surprise
« Reply #1260 on: July 20, 2015, 02:13:50 pm »

You can't stop peer2peer. Well, not directly anyway.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 20, 2015, 02:22:51 pm »

Somehow I think destroying the existing modding ecosystem in an effort to protect original creations isn't going to go over too hot.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 20, 2015, 02:40:37 pm »

I wasn't kidding on the worst solution :P

Nexus would be really hard to let go for mods. They stepped in as the main modding community when Gamespy dropped support for Morrowind and Oblivion. Their mod manager still sucks but for people that get the premium service its a godsend.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Paid Mods??!
« Reply #1263 on: July 20, 2015, 02:56:08 pm »

Can we actually start repeating the song-and-dance over paid mods once we get some concrete information on them being included or not, please?

Otherwise you're making much ado about nothing.
Since you missed it: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bethesda-talks-skyrims-paid-mods-controversy/1100-6428952/

"I think our stance on it is we're going to re-evaluate it going forward," Hines said. "I think that we feel like there is a case to be made that people who spend a lot of time working on mods ought to be able to have a way of monetizing what they're doing.
"We're going to wait and try it again."

"Certainly some of the folks that we talked to were very interested in and supportive of the idea," he added. "We had creators who said, 'I've been asking for donations for years and never saw anything, and I made more in one day.' So why would I not support that?"
Except that 90% of the paid mods were shit, stolen, or jokes. Keep lying.

"Our belief is, 'We made the game, we made the game you're making a thing for.' So just like anything else, there is some kind of involvement that we're going to have in that," he said.
"We own your work because we made the shitty game you made it for." "If we build a crappy car and you design a kit to soup it up, we deserve the money you make selling that kit."

Fallout 4 is making new strides as it relates to mods. Bethesda and Microsoft have teamed up to bring PC mods for the post-apocalyptic RPG to Xbox One. This isn't happening soon, though. Mod tools for the PC edition won't roll out until 2016, with the mods themselves coming to Xbox One (and eventually PlayStation 4) sometime later.
"Hey, remember how we said that we'd try again later with paid mods? Guess what else we're doing in the middle distance of the future? *wink wink nudge nudge*"

Keep in mind that Pete Hines, the guy that's giving these quotes, he's their VP of PR and Marketing. He's also probably one of the fuckers that pushed for this before. It's not hard confirmation that paid mods are going to be a thing again, but giving that kind of notice would have torpedoed it before it ever had a chance to happen. It's like SOPA, they're going to keep bringing it back every year or two hoping to slip it by while nobody is watching.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 20, 2015, 03:14:24 pm »

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised, just a bit disappointed, I had hoped that the backlash from their last attempt had shown them that this is not necessarily a good idea.  I guess I won't be touching this for a good long while, if at all.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 20, 2015, 03:49:22 pm »

FO4 will probably be one of the most pirated PC games if there is indeed going to be paid mods lol

And actually, I'm not gonna buy mods...I'm gonna um...download "trials" of said paid mods ;) I'll still buy FO4, but no way am I gonna buy mods.

You could already download "trials" within a day of paid skyrim mods lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 20, 2015, 03:56:19 pm »

This is like punching someone in the face, giving them a shitty apology the next day, and then punching them in the face again a week later.
Black lives matter.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 20, 2015, 03:57:05 pm »

Welp, let's call out across the realms of gaming for support to fight this.

The idea of paid mods in and of themselves aren't a bad thing: but it will run away with every mod of some quality (and alot that aren't) becoming paid. Oh, you want a unofficial patch because every Fallout game has its bugs and you don't like bugs? $15. (This said, the teams that made the unofficial patches for Skyrim were some chill guys and I wouldn't suspect them of doing this, but imagine if someone simply stole their mod, made little changes and began charging for it) Better textures? 5 packs of textures, each $20.
Now, some mods get fuckhuge and are actually worth donations/money: take Nehrim for Oblivion. It was practically its own game and was a great damn total conversion.

TL;DR: I'm just worried it will cause a massive clusterfuck where mods of good quality, but rather small scale, go paid for little reason (just ask for donations, guys, please) and simple idea/change mods or shit mods with stolen assets make tons of money.

Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 20, 2015, 04:04:54 pm »

Welp, let's call out across the realms of gaming for support to fight this.

The idea of paid mods in and of themselves aren't a bad thing: but it will run away with every mod of some quality (and alot that aren't) becoming paid. Oh, you want a unofficial patch because every Fallout game has its bugs and you don't like bugs? $15. (This said, the teams that made the unofficial patches for Skyrim were some chill guys and I wouldn't suspect them of doing this, but imagine if someone simply stole their mod, made little changes and began charging for it) Better textures? 5 packs of textures, each $20.
Now, some mods get fuckhuge and are actually worth donations/money: take Nehrim for Oblivion. It was practically its own game and was a great damn total conversion.

TL;DR: I'm just worried it will cause a massive clusterfuck where mods of good quality, but rather small scale, go paid for little reason (just ask for donations, guys, please) and simple idea/change mods or shit mods with stolen assets make tons of money.

Thats the thing though is if Bethesda can isolate the modding environment then issues like the mods with small changes can be reported right away. I think there should be an option if people want to sell mods or not. All the modders that pour alot of time in generating content should deserve some compensation. Its upto a modder if their prices are going to be right or at scumbag level.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 20, 2015, 04:41:34 pm »

I said it before, but I honestly wouldn't have a problem with a certain iteration of paid mods. Namely, stuff like Moonpath to Elsweyr getting cooperation from Bethesda to be made into a fully integrated DLC package, with the original mod team getting at least 50% of the profit from sales. But that's it. Only select, large-scale projects which are functionally equivalent to their internally produced DLC expansions.

But that's never going to happen, and I wouldn't support it if it did because I'd know that it was just a prelude to a broader attack on the community.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 20, 2015, 04:44:01 pm »

I said it before, but I honestly wouldn't have a problem with a certain iteration of paid mods. Namely, stuff like Moonpath to Elsweyr getting cooperation from Bethesda to be made into a fully integrated DLC package, with the original mod team getting at least 50% of the profit from sales. But that's it. Only select, large-scale projects which are functionally equivalent to their internally produced DLC expansions.

But that's never going to happen, and I wouldn't support it if it did because I'd know that it was just a prelude to a broader attack on the community.
I think I'd be cool with paid mods if they did it very carefully and not-awfully. As in, things like Falskaar and Moonpath getting cooperation...
As for smaller mods, it should at least be heavily moderated. I dunno. Blegh.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 20, 2015, 04:45:11 pm »

The idea of paid mods in and of themselves aren't a bad thing
It is, though. Up until now modding has been exclusively enthusiasts making things to share and show to other people, because they want to. The culture around modding is completely different to the producer-client relationship that it would change to with paid mods. I don't think anyone could really know how it would affect things.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 20, 2015, 04:46:41 pm »

But none of that is solid evidence, just a lot of circumstantial. And everything about paid mods was said before it was tried and it'll only be repeated again.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 20, 2015, 04:47:37 pm »

The backlash might actually be enough to make them not do it. Again. Which'll be hilarious.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 20, 2015, 04:48:53 pm »

I think I'd be cool with paid mods if they did it very carefully and not-awfully. As in, things like Falskaar and Moonpath getting cooperation...
As for smaller mods, it should at least be heavily moderated. I dunno. Blegh.

I am also in agreement. Heh, I like the idea of small, dedicated mod groups that wanna make giant, expansion pack mods getting sub-contracted by triple A game devs to make, well, giant expansion packs. Get back to the grandfather of DLC, the almighty expansion pack. Man, I miss the days of Morrowind and stuff.

My point with my post was, I'm envisioning the potential abuse of such a system on both sides (Bethesda and indie modders) and I'm horrified.

The backlash might actually be enough to make them not do it. Again. Which'll be hilarious.

This might happen again and I'll be laughing too. Silly Bethesda, modding is for neckbeards.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 462