Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804461 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: The Flesh of Your Fellow Man Can Provide...
« Reply #2010 on: September 30, 2015, 12:23:27 pm »

Yeah...  I think I'm going to be fixing a lot of things with mods when I eventually get this.  I'm really not liking the sound of the mechanics changes.  Mostly the removal of skills, I mean seriously?  I like Borderlands but I liked the S.P.E.C.I.A.L RPG system even more...  Of course, they already got rid of nearly 1/3 of the skills when they made FO3.  And even worse, hard-capped them at 100... ugh.

I didn't like some of New Vegas's changes either (nerfing VATS into the ground, DR making combat all about maximizing spike damage).  But I got used to some of it, and it was kinda the opposite of dumbed-down compared to FO3.  Oh well, I guess we'll see.  Certainly not preordering though, waiting for mods.

I'm sure the story and setting will be great though, if New Vegas is any indication!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: September 30, 2015, 12:41:16 pm »

You're aware that this is by Beth, not Obsidian, right?
Story will be meh.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: September 30, 2015, 12:43:58 pm »

You should play vanilla game before any functional modding. To see if vanilla system actually works. Texture and mesh replacers don't count.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: September 30, 2015, 12:52:12 pm »

There's been a lot of strange new things with the mechanics that don't really make much sense, such as Strength governing the crafting of weapons and armour. It seems they went for a completely gamiefied system rather than one that tries to be a... Simulationist feels very wrong to call it, but I can't find the right word.

I'm sure the story and setting will be great though, if New Vegas is any indication!

Well, New Vegas was written and developed by Obsidian, who don't have anything to do with F4, so New Vegas isn't any indication :P
Love, scriver~

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: September 30, 2015, 03:06:58 pm »

You're aware that this is by Beth, not Obsidian, right?
Story will be meh.
Y'know, normally, I'd say just deciding that the story will automagically be terrible is a stupid and unfair way to judge a game that hasn't come out yet, but, uh...
I've got little hope in the story, moreso in the gameplay. I wonder if they'll let Obsidian make a game in the FO4 engine, though...?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Fallout 4: Charm Drugs with your Charisma
« Reply #2015 on: September 30, 2015, 03:09:14 pm »

I really don't play these games for their story anyway. I play for my own stories.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: September 30, 2015, 03:27:30 pm »

I feel like the story is more important in TES than in Fallout, really.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: September 30, 2015, 03:36:03 pm »

I feel like the story is more important in TES than in Fallout, really.

In all fairness the story of Fallout 3 was only "VERY important" because of my prior knowledge of the Fallout universe, the game itself did absolutely nothing to highlight exactly what mass purification of an entire lake and area would mean beyond "trust us ok!".

While New Vegas I couldn't have cared less... Ohh my... land dispute... and they try to grandiose it up and fail miserably. It never stops seeming like a land dispute for a city and a power plant you don't care about. "Ohhh no! This might... cause a mild issue for a few years!". Which STILL could have worked if they made Vegas appealing, but they make it feel like such a sack of scum. The ONLY thing the story has going for it is that it made it personal, which it never really follows up on.

While Skyrim and Oblivion was the exact opposite problem. It sounded absolutely awesome and ground breaking. You knew you had something monumental on your hands that will shake the very fabric of the world for better or worse AND!!!... well... it meant absolutely nothing. Either the danger is pretty happy to sit on its butt or solving the issue feels really lack luster.

---

So no, I honestly think it isn't that the story is more important in either of them.

I just think the 3d Fallout games have an issue with making the story feel as epic as it should be. While the Elder Scroll games (well last two ones anyhow) always feel extremely epic until you find out they really aren't.

Mind you, before you jump down my throat. I always usually avoided winning the games if only because the side quests are usually a lot more interesting (AND in three of those games... there is a penalty for winning)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 03:39:17 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: September 30, 2015, 03:46:11 pm »

Hm, well...  I did like the setting of FO3.  It felt like, you know, an urban nuclear wasteland.
(Fallout NV had much better stories, but I didn't prefer its practically-rebuilt setting.  Made a great epilogue to FO2 though.)
And FO4 is apparently concurrent with FO3, in an urban area?  So, crap, I'll probably really want to play this for the setting.  Maybe the mechanics will be okay.  Heck maybe VATS will be feasible again.

Basically:  waaah, I want heavy rpg elements, a devastated urban setting, and 3D graphics.  I only get two at a time, how unfair :P
Joking because mods will fix everything~
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: September 30, 2015, 03:49:21 pm »

The odd linkage here is that apparently Charisma will influence how likely you are to become addicted.
I bet that it would be among the first things to be "fixed" by mods when the game's creaton kit is released.
It might be for balance reasons. Maybe. It could be so that stats affect a somewhat equal number of things, to prevent any one stat from becoming the best stat. I hope.

Or it's just that you charm drugs with your charisma so they like you too much to addict you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU5SEgxdqSg#t=03m56s
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: September 30, 2015, 03:52:34 pm »

I really don't play these games for their story anyway. I play for my own stories.
This exactly. The plots have never been particularly inspired; FO and TES games do the same thing as most of the other games I really enjoy: they provide a platform for story creation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: September 30, 2015, 07:46:30 pm »

Best comment.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: September 30, 2015, 09:49:58 pm »

NV's story at least felt a bit more involved. I much preferred it. Also, if Caesar wins, basically the Mojave, and the NCR most likely, is fucked. Little more important than 'It'll get resolved in a few years'.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: September 30, 2015, 10:31:11 pm »

I liked FO3's story. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: September 30, 2015, 10:50:26 pm »

I liked the backstory. 
I feel like New Vegas did a job of telling more stories and with greater interactiveness.  And the main quest-web had a lot more options and consequences than the fairly linear main quest in FO3, which got weird towards the end.

But FO3 did a pretty good job at establishing a backstory and providing an interesting world to explore and make your own stories in.  It was... more show, less tell/script.  Atmospheric instead of social intrigue.  I loved both approaches.

I did like that in FO3 there was usually a good reason for the main quest to wait for your attention.  Whereas in NV it was kinda weird that you were even important (especially to the main two factions).  Much less that the climactic battle waited on you.  Because in FO3 you were one of the few people able to brave the capital wasteland at all, an established badass.  Plus the main NPC is *your father* so it makes sense that you'd be involved if you wanted to be.

In NV you're in the middle of 2 massive armies conducting a *war*, and you're a freakin courier.  Basically a civilian, in a setting so civilized that people waste their time playing slot machines and wearing stupid clothes.  Until you start hitting DLCs, there's really not much special about you.  Even Mr House doesn't really have any reason to pick you, despite the prior business.  And yet, ironically, the main quest is much more in-your-face than the FO3 one.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 462