Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804415 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4665 on: December 09, 2015, 03:58:10 pm »

If there is one HUGE credit I will give Fallout 4 versus a LOT of fiction

Is that it is chalked full of people who just want to do the right thing because it is the right thing.. and even the ones with confused morals aren't baby eaters.

You don't feel like the only reason they are doing good is because your around to babysit them.

There are exceptions of course, but that is just it... They are exceptions.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: December 09, 2015, 04:18:09 pm »

If there is one HUGE credit I will give Fallout 4 versus a LOT of fiction

Is that it is chalked full of people who just want to do the right thing because it is the right thing.. and even the ones with confused morals aren't baby eaters.

You don't feel like the only reason they are doing good is because your around to babysit them.

There are exceptions of course, but that is just it... They are exceptions.

And then there's the sole survivor, who runs around eating corpses immediately after saving innocent lives.

Really added some interesting subtext to my efforts in the Silver Shroud quest when I ate each of my victims villains.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: December 09, 2015, 04:19:18 pm »

Besides the super mutants. Who are literal baby eaters. And green supremacists.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: December 09, 2015, 04:28:03 pm »

Besides the super mutants. Who are literal baby eaters. And green supremacists.

Top of the food chain, baby!

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: December 09, 2015, 05:09:31 pm »

Those elves D:

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: December 09, 2015, 05:32:08 pm »

Man, I really don't like how Fallout has power armor or combat-application lasers, because they definitely didn't have those in the 1950s. :^)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: December 09, 2015, 06:02:08 pm »

Man, I really don't like how Fallout has power armor or combat-application lasers, because they definitely didn't have those in the 1950s. :^)

>_>

You would be surprised what they had by the 1950s.

There is this weird tendency for inventions to have existed WAY before the time people started to notice them.

Computers (well... computational machines) and guns are two of the BIG ones. I am excluding "batteries" because they didn't REALLY have batteries... at least no more then saying a potato farm has lots of batteries.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 06:04:06 pm by Neonivek »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: December 09, 2015, 06:11:12 pm »

We can go with the lack of fusion power in the 1950s if you prefer. :P

Lasers do work for the joke, though; the first operating laser (as opposed to a maser) dates to 1960.  As for power armor, well, unless you want to include 19th century gas-powered (as in compressed air, not gasoline or natural gas) mechanisms, also dates to the 1960s to the best of my knowledge.  In this case, I don't think there's much in the way of surprise for either.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 06:13:12 pm by Culise »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: December 09, 2015, 06:25:43 pm »

One thing to note is that the 50s freeze as cultural, not technological (and even then, it wasn't a total freeze, given that all the major rights movements still happened and succeeded). The reason that their electronics are so outdated is actually because Fallout science went after nuclear physics instead of information technology. It's why most of the technology still has power after over 200 years, it's why things like laser, plasma, and power armor technology are still able to operate, since the amount of power the fusion systems they use generates overcomes the limitations of such systems, and, most importantly, it's their excuse for why cars explode despite the fact that a breached fusion reactor would realistically just leak all of its energy instead of exploding violently.
Nothing important here, move along.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: December 09, 2015, 06:27:41 pm »

In case that was implicitly directed at my comments, the design of those fits the aesthetic requirement I described earlier. I didn't call for a restriction to 1950s-only technology, that's not what Fallout is, but rather the strict application of 1950s-like modern and contemporary sci-fi art design to all 2077+ technology.

That's why Vertibirds are great in their stocky, pulpy design, down to the name, and hypothetically copy-pasting modern V-22 Ospreys would be terribly missing the point.

It's all about looking at 2077+ through the lens of the 1950s. If something did not exist in that period (i.e. laser rifles, assault robots, power armour), imagine it as if thinkers of the time would've envisioned it. It's something the Fallout series does pretty well most of the time, but sometimes slips for no good reason. Taking the Desert Eagle's unfortunate example, wouldn't it have been better if the concept (high-calibre semi-automatic handgun) had been visually designed through the aforementioned lens? New Vegas' M4 (called the Marksman Carbine, I think) would've looked more in-universe if it had been more similar to the standard assault rifle, with more wood on it and less picatinny rails, for example. I mean, this looks completely out of place in the Fallout universe.

I trust most of you can grasp what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 06:38:54 pm by Greenbane »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: December 09, 2015, 06:41:21 pm »

I mean, the M16 started development in 1956. The idea for a 'plastic gun' wasn't exactly nonexistent.

Still, I get your point. A more aesthetic approach might have helped a lot (as long as they didn't get overly aesthetic about it, like with the alleged 'assault rifle'). I'm not sure how you'd change something like the Desert Eagle, though, it's not like the mechanism's totally foreign to what already existed (I don't think most people are going to even know the difference between short recoil and gas blowback systems, much less be able to identify them visually). Does it need wood furnishings?
Nothing important here, move along.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: December 09, 2015, 06:43:41 pm »

I mean, the M16 started development in 1956.

So it would be more as archaic by 2077 then a M1 springfield is archaic to 2015.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4677 on: December 09, 2015, 06:49:53 pm »

I mean, the M16 started development in 1956.

So it would be more as archaic by 2077 then a M1 springfield is archaic to 2015.
Considering the existence of Mauser C96 (also Tommy Gun and Grease Gun) in first Fallouts, I belive that's not a problem.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: December 09, 2015, 07:13:18 pm »

Broadsider

That is all.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4679 on: December 09, 2015, 07:16:50 pm »

Broadsider is unique snowflake and... wasn't it made after the war from old cannon or something?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 462