Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804449 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4995 on: December 21, 2015, 08:53:24 pm »

Yea that's what I got everywhere.  I guess it just takes longer to get people there or something.   To be fair I guess they heard about most of my other settlements.  I kinda run them a bit too much like a DF fort.

Welcome to Sunshine Tidings co-op one of the many fine settlements in Greiger country! 
Enjoy the safety of 10 foot metal walls topped with rocket turrets with iffy IFF functionality! 
Enjoy the wonderful sound and fireworks of the daily supermutant raid being deconstructed outside the northeast wall! 
Enjoy the scattered ghoul and settler corpses that randomly reappear!  Sometimes levitating in the air as if propped on top of a non existent table!
Enjoy the grueling manual labor from supplying 40% of the entire nation's supply of corn and mutfruit!
Sleep in style in the patented superdorms! 20 beds somehow crammed into a single room!
Be lulled to sleep by the comforting hum of the massive power generators on the floor right below!
Enjoy the common room! Featuring a radio!  And a chair!
Light bulbs!  Some of them even have power!

Payment fee due upon arrival of all your clothes, all your bottlecaps, food and bobbypins and any (useful) ammo you have on hand!

Sunshine tidings co-op.  The settlement of the future!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:55:55 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: December 22, 2015, 12:43:52 am »

More sadistic than gingertanimo bay, since you let them live long enough to suffer under your harsh overseer er... Overseership, overseerism, oversight? Yeah that's the one.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: December 22, 2015, 06:44:56 am »

I'm sure getting the throwing-arc from the demolitionist perk would help though.
It USUALLY helps, except when it randomly decides to indicate your arc superimposed a foot to the left of where it actually is/will be. This caused at least one "Molotov in the face" situation while I was popping out from cover.

Though as someone using a controller, I end up with quite a few of those anyway because I meant to melee.

In other "buttons that don't know what you want to do with them" news, since the default controller keybinds were FUCKING RETARDED, I changed some things around and now my "open workshop" button is the same as my "change 1st/3rd person" button. Which works pretty well, until I want to zoom out/in for 3rd person vanity at which point it opens the workshop and zooms me ALL THE WAY IN. Which is annoying as hell, but definitely better then whatever the default shit woulda been.

Though one thing I'll mention they got right was making you keep sprinting even if you let go of the button. Which is REALLY nice, since the controller I use has a mostly-broken left bumper.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: December 22, 2015, 08:21:56 am »

Holding the perspective button opens the build interface in vanilla keyboard mode too. You simply can't scroll around your character when you're safe at base. Another bit of button reuse for consoles which (probably) can't be fixed without mods.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: December 22, 2015, 12:34:20 pm »

Holding the perspective button opens the build interface in vanilla keyboard mode too. You simply can't scroll around your character when you're safe at base. Another bit of button reuse for consoles which (probably) can't be fixed without mods.

Fuck, that's the most annoying one imo. I keep all my armour and stuff at Sanctuary, so when I try to see how a new piece of armour looks it just opens up the build menu.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: December 22, 2015, 12:45:28 pm »

I've noticed it doesn't fuck you over if you open workbench mode while in 1st person, for all the good that does.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: December 22, 2015, 01:53:56 pm »

I tried to build stairs to the roof of Red Rocket Gas Station which due to uneven height is now two flights of stairs up, a short suspended bridge and a stepladder down.

Really reminds me my more unfortunate plannings of Dwarf Fortress.

Is it possible to have doors inside the house? It seems like I can't set up walls and even if I could, floor doesn't stick to them properly.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: December 22, 2015, 02:28:00 pm »

Not being able to stick a door in a doorframe of a building you did not build? Annoying!

Interior rooms aren't big enough to make a room in a room, built doorframe/door and all.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: December 22, 2015, 03:23:21 pm »

Interior rooms and doors don't seem to really work well.  I wasn't able to figure out a way to get interior doors to work at all, which I assume will have to be fixed with mods one day.

Interior walls are a pain in the butt to place too.  I think, but am not certain, that there's a way to disable snapping so that they don't snap to each other in ways you didn't intend, but it's still extremely difficult to get them to line up in aesthetically pleasing ways.

I like the settlement system overall, but it feels like something that Bethesda left to the modding community to really flesh out.  It's a lot more shallow than I was hoping for.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: December 22, 2015, 04:07:57 pm »

There are apparently some tricks you can do to place interior doorways. (there also already seems to be at least 1 mod for actual snappable interior doorways)  With larger buildings I've been able to place some interior doors, but you need to build the doorframe floor and ceiling first, walls after.

There is also apparently an exploit involving the hold E to select everything attached where only the thing you had targeted checks for collision.  Allowing you to say, make a fence post, attach a fence to it, and place a doorframe so that it's touching the fence.  Then you hold e to grab the fencepost and it will grab everything attached.  Allowing you to move the doorframe where you please because only the fencepost will check for vertical collision.

You should be able to search fallout 4 interior door to get some videos of how that works.  You can also use that to ignore collision on other things too.  I saw a video of someone building a treehouse in the big tree in sanctuary using that trick.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 04:15:27 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: December 22, 2015, 04:43:58 pm »

Anyone had any luck using Flamers? I tried an upgraded one a while back and was severely unimpressed by just how short range they become when sidegraded for damage, but I recently picked up one with the Kneecapper legendary effect and was internally debating on whether or not to haul it out and start leaving piles of ash in my wake.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: December 22, 2015, 06:35:36 pm »

Burn them, right in the kneecaps.

Must admit I haven't seen any flamers yet.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: December 22, 2015, 06:53:46 pm »

The sodding Forged, right north of Finch Farm have a bunch. They are a nuisance.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: December 22, 2015, 06:57:25 pm »

Decided to load up my Kneecapping Flamer for an assault on Quincy and had a great time running around in Flame painted X-01 burning stuff with a Shishkebab and the Flamer and pretending I was a World Eaters chaos marine.

Shot most of the Gunners with the flamer till their legs gave out then cut them down with the shishkebab. Crippled Clint's legs then casually strolled behind him and popped his Fusion Core and watched it go nuclear. I took a surprising number of mini-nukes to the face during the fight from the named asshole on the church roof, but all they really did was kill Gunners and piss me off.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: December 22, 2015, 07:06:04 pm »

The sodding Forged, right north of Finch Farm have a bunch. They are a nuisance.

Indeed.  I wasted a lot of ammo before I realized that for once I had a reason to shoot someone in the legs.  The guys with flamers at least don't wear much, if any, leg armor.  Frag mines worked wonders too.

Speaking of mines, while I've had issues with grenades and mines in general (see my last few posts), I do use them a lot more than I ever did in FO3 or NV.  I should use them even more than I do though, since I have something like 15 frag versions of each in my inventory, not to mention half a dozen each of cryo, plasma and pulse grenades and mines.  No wonder I'm so overloaded all of the time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 462