Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804289 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6060 on: May 07, 2016, 12:00:51 pm »

When you travel with cars / vertibirds, are they left in the settlement you built them in?
Black lives matter.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: May 07, 2016, 12:20:26 pm »

If it works the same as a similar mod for Fallout 3, then no it should come with you. But I can't check yet, as there is some conflict with my mod loadout that's stopping it from working properly. ;-(
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: May 07, 2016, 03:50:35 pm »

I really don't get all the 'Put the next Fallout in X country!' stuff, there are no fleshed out or even described groups operating outside of the old U.S., hell we've got pretty much no information on Mexico or any of Canada and they're right next door.  If Bethesda placed a game outside of the States there would be almost nothing to link the games together
This is EXACTLY WHY we want this. Because we WANT to see other stuff fleshed out, we want to see the other side's perspective, both before AND after the bombs, and it allows for the creators to go absolutely NUTS with what they want to throw in.
There are plenty of ways to link the games. Thematically if nothing else. Just showing an over the top flanderization of how the country in question worked pre-war through logs and such and having survivors trying to rebuild the bombed out ruins of crazy locations would go a long way toward characterizing it as "a Fallout game"

I mean, you noted "BoS in FRANCE!" as a bad idea. Why is it any better to keep doing it over and over in every US state? Because that's what the series is now. Same shit, different state.
Here's the thing tho, look at it from the view of the people with the money. There is literally nothing brandable or recognisable connecting the different countries or continents in the Falloutverse together. Now this may be cynical from me, but:

Non-American location = No easily brandable parts of the universe, no pipboys, no vaults, no retrofuturistic americana, no power armor (the US was the only country with power armor), no Super Mutants, no BoS

Which leads to: We need to add the easily brandable parts of the universe to the setting because otherwise people will be confused sheep who will not buy our game and give us all their money. Then you end up with:

Non-American location = Pip Boys, Power Armor, Totally-not-BoS, Totally-not-Super Mutants and Totally-not-Vaults

It's like Fallout with all of its recognisable elements in it but now with a different backdrop. It's both yours and my own worst nightmare.

Now I'd personally really love if they took the next game to I dunno, post-apocalyptic France, UK, Soviet Union or Japan, but I'm all but certain they will definitely cram as many recognisable, easily brandable elements into them as possible instead of doing something completely new and fresh,n but I am almost definitely certain that it'll just end up a new backdrop with all the same stuff.

a DLC I could believe in, but a fully fledged fallout game? I think it's best to avoid that entirely.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: May 07, 2016, 04:04:18 pm »

Pip-Boy and Power Armour equivalents wouldn't actually be unreasonable to find in other countries to be fair. The incarnations present in the prior games have all been developed by US groups, but it's highly likely Europe and China would have their own versions of hand held computers and advanced armour, though the latter in China was canonically the Chinese stealth suit.

A Vault equivalent would also be sensible to find elsewhere. It's not like countries aware of the threat of nukes wouldn't build something to preserve people if they could.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:06:12 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: May 07, 2016, 04:21:23 pm »

Pip-Boy and Power Armour equivalents wouldn't actually be unreasonable to find in other countries to be fair. The incarnations present in the prior games have all been developed by US groups, but it's highly likely Europe and China would have their own versions of hand held computers and advanced armour, though the latter in China was canonically the Chinese stealth suit.

A Vault equivalent would also be sensible to find elsewhere. It's not like countries aware of the threat of nukes wouldn't build something to preserve people if they could.
Europe was not unified and has been ravaged by internal warfare even before the nukes started flying and China instead of developing Power Armor developed the stealth suit.

All of those things you said are reasonable to assume. But they are not marketable.

You do not understand the depths of my cynicism, by "equivalent" I mean "copy". As in, do the same thing, paint it a different colour and you're done. As in, the Not-Quite-Vaults still run experiments and the Not-Quite-Super Mutants are still large hulking murderous brutes and power armor is still power armor. Basically I'm pretty sure that any main line game set in a different country would turn out to be exactly like Fallout 3 or 4 but with a different backdrop. Replace the american propaganda with chinese propaganda, paint the power armor red and make it vaguely eastern-looking in design and have giant purple mutants who are the results of government experimentation, that kind of deal.

I'd be much more optimistic if we were talking about DLC, which seems to have far more free reign as far as what they intend to do with the setting is concerned.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: May 07, 2016, 04:38:16 pm »

I also noted that the most likely candidate for getting a different country fallout was a total conversion level mod effort. So that's a possibility.

In defense of Power Armor it would still be somewhat reasonable to find variants of it in China as a "US soldiers equipped with it fought here, now survivors have found some and possibly replicated it"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: May 07, 2016, 05:14:06 pm »

Yeah. Honestly I don't have any faith in Bethesda after Skyrim and FO4. I just really want Obsidian to make another Fallout because NV was miles ahead of 3 and 4, but I doubt it'll happen at this point, even though they expressed interest in it a while back.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:08:31 pm by Glloyd »

Bluexdog

• Bay Watcher
  • Most likely in the RTD section
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: May 07, 2016, 05:16:49 pm »

Yeah. Honestly I don't have any faith in Bethesda after Skyrim and FO4. I just really want Obsidian to make another Fallout because NV was miles ahead 3 and 4, but I doubt it'll happen at this point, even though they expressed interest in it a while back.
I agree in full, new vegas had more replayability
No sig yet

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: May 08, 2016, 01:43:43 am »

I have to say I've plenty of faith in Bethesda to continue to provide, not a decent RPG narrative experience, but a versatile platform which contains a lot of basic RPG elements regarding building your character. If you are chasing some good hardcore gameplay, heavily modded Skyrim can be really good. Same with Fallout 4.

I've seen a lot of negative reviews of F4 on steam talking about it pandering to COD types. I don't see it that way at all to be honest, even though it's clearly a different kind of game to the classic Fallouts, which I loved. Bethesda's games are about combat, but combat as it relates to your build. The equipment you have, the perks you choose, the way you mod your weapons or armor. At higher difficult levels, and especially with mods, you need to be every bit as discerning and careful as you might be when playing MISERY for Call of Pripyat. There is very little overlap between a MISERY player and a COD player. Bethesda isn't going after this hardcore experience either, of course. But it has made a platform that can be angled in that direction. If it was nothing but shooting that would be impossible, not matter how you modded it.

The Witcher III kicks Fallout 4's ass in so many ways when it comes to voice acting, narrative, etc. etc. But general gameplay? I've got to say I enjoy Fallout a lot more. I never felt much of a rush playing the Witcher. Never felt like the world was pushing back, trying to keep me down. Even on the hardest difficulty and with mods to make it even harder it felt like a cakewalk. Modded survival Fallout 4 kicks my ass if I step out of line, which is exactly what I want.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: May 08, 2016, 03:44:46 am »

The Witcher III kicks Fallout 4's ass in so many ways when it comes to voice acting, narrative, etc. etc. But general gameplay? I've got to say I enjoy Fallout a lot more. I never felt much of a rush playing the Witcher. Never felt like the world was pushing back, trying to keep me down. Even on the hardest difficulty and with mods to make it even harder it felt like a cakewalk. Modded survival Fallout 4 kicks my ass if I step out of line, which is exactly what I want.

Well, Witcher is entirely narratively-driven. It is way more concerned with providing a movie-like experience than with great, extensible gameplay. At the end of the day, Witcher just wants you to play it through to the end. Bethesda designs their games to scale so people get way more mileage out of it. If you subtracted all the story elements from the Witcher it'd be a short game. You can't say the same for Bethesda games.They're way more focused on the act of playing whereas Witcher, at least based on my experience from the first two, is at least 60% passively enjoying the dialog and characters.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: May 08, 2016, 05:11:42 am »

The gameplay in Fallout 4 isn't that extensible or great though. I found it boing and repetitive, with poor voice acting and even poorer writing to go along with it. Not to mention a trashy story and extraneous gameplay elements that just felt tacked on, or the trash heap that is the Radiant quests. Yeah, the combat was more tight than previous games, but it's so simplistic and boring, with se weapons that are jus clearly superior, and little use for any of the consumables. There's little use for a lot of the features in the game, like settlements. The best part is just exploring the dense world, which does have good level design even if the world building leaves a lot to be desired. I got bored very quickly with fallout 4, yet a put a ton of time into NV. The gameplay in the Witcher 3 was much better to me, especially on higher difficulty levels where you actually need to plan out your oils, gear, potions and signs if you want to do well against some of the crazier monsters. Plus, it had good writing, voice acing, story, graphics, animations, meaningful choices, etc as well as a huge world full of shit to ind and do, and the only thing that really felt tacked on was the horse racing. Yeah, Gwent was out of place in the world but it was hella fun and fleshed out enough to make that not matter. Honestly, you can't even compare the two, Fallout 4 falls short in everything when compares to the Witcher 3 in my mind, and I can't wait for Blood and Wine while I could care less about Far Harbour.

Apologies for the spelling, I'm on mobile.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: May 08, 2016, 10:19:08 am »

I've seen a lot of negative reviews of F4 on steam talking about it pandering to COD types.
That sort of accusation gets thrown around a lot these days, and the is one of those cases where people don't know what they're talking about. Even the core gunplay and movement mechanics are pretty substantially different, never mind difficulty.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: May 09, 2016, 03:42:10 am »

wonder what faction will be the "canon" faction that Bethesda chooses, or if they all just lose in the end
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:48:31 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: May 09, 2016, 04:46:31 am »

Looks nice! Wish I wasn't playing at minimum specs on a lappy. ;-(

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: May 09, 2016, 10:25:48 am »

Do you have any close-up and/or side-by-side comparison shots, Vendayn? I never trust my own eyes for wide shots of the new textures on their own.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 462