Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hilarious challenge- The Legendary Maid/Butler  (Read 3059 times)

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hilarious challenge- The Legendary Maid/Butler
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:55:17 pm »

The Rules:

-1 citizen without restrictions
-All other 6 dwarves and all immigrants must immediately have their labors turned off except hauling (May draft)
-The challenge lasts 6 in game years.
-Additionally, to be fair to nano-forts, use of adamantine is forbidden.

-105 population max set in the ini to keep it even for those with low FPS.  If it's broken, kill the immigrants if you prefer (keep track of how many died, these will not count towards death point loss). You MAY change it to be lower or back to 105 at any time during the challenge.
-No weird changes to the ini.  Permitted mods are only those without mechanic changes (Dwarf therapist,stonesense).  Nanofort allowed, though.

Points!

-3 points for every season you have more than 50 dwarves
-3 ADDITIONAL points every season you have more than 100 (essentially 6 each season)
-2 points for every 100k created wealth. (Max 40 points).
-1 points deducted for every death

Extra challange (You may do more than one.)

-Refuse to trade for all 6 years (also gives 48 points or 20% bonus, whatever's higher).
-Make a megaconstruction (by yourself!) using no less than 200 building material on the surface.  It must be interesting (Post the idea and I will OK it.  Also gives 12 points).
-Make your entire fort on the surface.  No using a pick period. (also gives 48 points or 20% bonus, whatever's higher).

Those were the old rules.  New rules:

No scoring system.  Only restrictions are no labors but hauling on the non-maid/butler.  There is no more in-game fort age limit. Winner is the most badass challenge/story.  Different suggestions for being badass, use whatever you like or your own:

-All above ground
-No trading
-rediculous population
-megaconstruction
-terrifying biomes
-Everyone with legendary furnishings
-Everything in glass
-additionally, no military but you and you alone (keep in mind the interrupt training bug)

.etc

You can use any mod you want, but people will think you're lame if you use one that makes it easy.

Variation- Additionally, no hauling/military/nobles/anything for all immigrants.  However, all starting dwarves are butlers.

The challenge ends on July 20th

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:19:29 pm by Greep »

Vector_Matt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hilarious challenge- The Legendary Maid/Butler
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 04:42:50 pm »

I'm guessing that any migrants are supposed to have their labors turned off also, even though the post doesn't actually mention that.
So...he's the Dwarf Fortress equivalent of Darth Vader?

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 04:53:11 pm »

yeah it's there, after the 6 dwarves part.

Edit: made a few changes to even things up a bit, and reduced the time frame to 5 game years.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05:38:04 pm by Greep »

Vector_Matt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:20:45 pm »

:o Oops. My bad

I hate how I can manage to miss stuff like that even after double checking.  :-\
So...he's the Dwarf Fortress equivalent of Darth Vader?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 06:39:32 pm »

I may just have to get in on this. Note, however, that mining is a FAR more efficient way to build- that surface-only bonus should probably be a multiplier.

That said, I'm totally in on this.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 07:07:16 pm »

Yeah, I'm personally gonna try it, but won't submit it for score(since I'll be judging).  Prolly gonna do megaconstruction or no trade, depending on how fast I can make dwarven syrup.

As for the scoring, you're right about the tower maid, it should be nearly impossible.  Gonna up it's bonus a bit.

Edit: changed scoring a bit, think it's almost there.  Changed time up to 6 years.  Okay you can now combine the extra challenges for more points if you're utterly insane.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:25:07 pm by Greep »

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:26:49 pm »

Alright final changes to scoring are in.  You may now turn on hauling for everyone, as it's incredibly boring watching your maid haul countless barrels of food.  You also no longer need to do a challenge, although they are certainly fun and rewarding.  I'll keep a running log of how my esteemed butler is doing, and anyone may do the same :)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 02:16:21 am »

Ooh, I'll try this too.  One question though, how are you measuring which seasons have more than 50 or 100 dwarves and how that changes over time with births, deaths, and immigration?

-Make a megaconstruction (by yourself!) using no less than 200 stone on the surface.  It must be interesting (Post the idea and I will OK it.  Also gives 12 points).

A butler's stained glove, the closest to a symbol of an overworked butler I can think of.  OK?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:21:28 am by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 02:36:54 am »

Well, it's not like it's a million buck competition, just wing it when it comes to calculating points XD  I'm gonna say whatever your status screen (z key) says.

Stained glove sounds pretty cool, go for it :) I'm gonna make an upside down pyramid.  Let the goblins cower as they see dwarves defying physics.

Oh one last thing, if you're using 31.03 like me, you can mod yourself some shells if no turtles show up.  It'd be pretty lame if the butler died from a bugged mood.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 02:38:15 am »

That's a clever trick, capping the population at 100, but giving us points if we have 101 or more.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 02:44:01 am »

-.- thanks for catching that.  Pretty bumb mistake.  Cap at 105 prolly is best.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 03:06:14 am »

The pop cap isn't an issue, as I understand it.  That's when you stop getting new immigrants, not when you stop getting new births.  So a fort with a pop cap of 50 could easily, over the years if the fort survives well, have far, far more than 50 dwarves (most of them kids).

Since none of these other dwarves are allowed to do more than hauling, it hardly matters if they are 2 years old or 20 ;)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 03:09:30 am »

-Refuse to trade for all 6 years (also gives 48 points or 20% bonus, whatever's higher).

One question about 'refusing to trade' though, do you mean no 'fair' trading, or no trade goods gained through any means (like killing the caravan or deconstructing the trade depot - arguably though one profits from this, it is 'refusing to trade'  8))?

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 03:11:58 am »

Basically yeah.  I guess there isn't even really a reason for a strict cap at all since you get nothing for 101+, it's more for your own sanity XD

And I'm gonna say no depot or contact period.  Since it's only 6 years long, and it takes a few years of depot destruction to piss people off, it'd be too much of an allowance.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 03:40:25 am »

-Make your entire fort on the surface.  No using a pick period. (also gives 48 points or 20% bonus, whatever's higher).

One last question about this part of the rule.  Want to make sure you mean -no pick used period-, not just no part of your fort underground.  Since there's points for not trading, this rather limits the total quantity of stone one can ever have for this fortress, especially if one is being sure to budget for 200 or more stones in the megaproject.

Would this award be recievable if you used mining -only- to get stone as needed, perhaps through channeling so the mined away area and stones were always exposed to the surface, and nothing was ever underground?  Or do you intend these points only for people who make sure to bring the stone they need from the start and otherwise swear off the stuff?  ???
Pages: [1] 2 3