Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb  (Read 88139 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2012, 10:14:42 pm »

Kohaku, you may want to make a new thread with just the summary links to all the saves so everyone else can dive in and try them out for FPS measurements. Make it clear in the new thread's OP that commentary can go in this thread and that thread's purpose is to summarise and to record others' FPS readings.

Anyway, I've started up another fork save:

Fork save - Another

Quote from: dffd description
This one was made with animal and plant testing in mind. Plump helmets give huge stacks and grow quickly. There are only 2 non-vermin animals: the catbird and the blue peahen. Both lay large clusters of eggs and the former has cat behaviour tags. As neither have the tags for beasts of burden, no caravans will arrive. This particular world was generated to have lots of badlands (no rain, no vegetation) but with 1 cavern layer (for the plump helmet experiment).

Spoiler: "Screenshots" (click to show/hide)

The intentions are:

1) See if an abundance of plants causes lag by virtue of the game having to check whether they're rotting or not (even if they are in a food stockpile)
2) Experiment on different ways of animal disposal and how they affect FPS

It's late where I am - I'm going to bed now but I've put up the save in case someone wants to get started in my stead. Incidentally, I have 19 adults and 1 child - I got a mood. Thankfully a stone-only mood.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:17:27 pm by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2012, 11:08:22 pm »

Kohaku, you may want to make a new thread with just the summary links to all the saves so everyone else can dive in and try them out for FPS measurements. Make it clear in the new thread's OP that commentary can go in this thread and that thread's purpose is to summarise and to record others' FPS readings.

I'll do something like that when I get more results that I think matter.  Right now, I'm pretty much just marching down the line through things that produce the same result - that I'm not hitting the cause of fortress FPS decay yet. 

Right now, all I can say is that simply consuming your items in reactions does not seem to cause lingering FPS decay, nor do creator/quality data, probably atom smashing does not, either, and I'm still working on some of the others.

Anyway, I've started up another fork save:

Fork save - Another

Quote from: dffd description
This one was made with animal and plant testing in mind. Plump helmets give huge stacks and grow quickly. There are only 2 non-vermin animals: the catbird and the blue peahen. Both lay large clusters of eggs and the former has cat behaviour tags. As neither have the tags for beasts of burden, no caravans will arrive. This particular world was generated to have lots of badlands (no rain, no vegetation) but with 1 cavern layer (for the plump helmet experiment).

Spoiler: "Screenshots" (click to show/hide)

The intentions are:

1) See if an abundance of plants causes lag by virtue of the game having to check whether they're rotting or not (even if they are in a food stockpile)
2) Experiment on different ways of animal disposal and how they affect FPS

It's late where I am - I'm going to bed now but I've put up the save in case someone wants to get started in my stead. Incidentally, I have 19 adults and 1 child - I got a mood. Thankfully a stone-only mood.

I removed the child and baby tag so that all dwarves are born adults. 

I would recommend you mod crops to have a much shorter growing season unless you want to test the lag effect of a growing plant.  You can basically leave them as having a GROWDUR of 1, I believe, and that should vomit up plenty.  CLUSTERSIZE might or might not help.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2012, 11:22:41 pm »

I've set it to GROWDUR 3 and cluster size 50, with all dwarves having natural 20 in farming (as well as mining and masonry). Hmm yeah, I'll have to just force this child to grow up fast by editing the CHILD tag since I've already generated the world.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2012, 11:08:41 am »

"UristMcNoEmotion cancels Plant Seed: Getting Married"

Apparently all the tags we added to the dwarves won't stop them from forging relationships. That they're speed:1 dwarves probably speeds this up considerably in my case.

Edit: Reminder to self - set artefacts to OFF...

Edit2: Confirming that clustersize doesn't help with farming - set it to 50 and it's the same 1~6 stacks as vanilla.

Edit3: RATS! EATING MY SHROOMS! I always had cats around in my normal forts so it's cool to see vermin actually attack food in stockpiles that aren't stored in barrels. I don't see any tatter marks though - maybe it's happening so fast (hundreds of FPS) that I don't see it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:09:24 pm by Psieye »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »

Well, I've done about all I have patience for doing with regards to these trade caravans, which is roughly 30,000 goblets traded away.  Unit-1.txt is now up to 310 kbs.  Memory consumption in the main game is at 383 megs, which is more than normal, but hardly any more than normal.

I'm going to call this as something that will slow the game down, but by a negligible amount, considering how the actual act of trading this damn many objects takes more time than just running an entire year.

... Actually, I can think of one more test to perform that wouldn't take too much more time...

I can just make an object worth some obscenely high value, and trade that away, and then see how much the FPS crashes when you get caravans. 

Anyway, I have saves here:
Large Caravan Tests

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2012, 01:19:20 pm »

Odd result - when I traded 240,000,000 worth of goods to the caravan for a single steel bar, the result was that the trader said he was "Unwilling to trade" instead of the normal "ecstatic", and immediately left.

It's sort of like when you offend the elves, or something.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2012, 01:20:45 pm »

Odd result - when I traded 240,000,000 worth of goods to the caravan for a single steel bar, the result was that the trader said he was "Unwilling to trade" instead of the normal "ecstatic", and immediately left.

Heh, integer overflow.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2012, 01:33:25 pm »

I only read up to page seven, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but another popular method of garbage removal is throwing it into eerie glowing pits/chasms (which are now gone).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2012, 02:15:49 pm »

Heh, integer overflow.

Yeah, it's an integer overflow.  It turns out Toady uses a "mere" integer, so the maximum value for trades is a "mere" 2,147,483,647.  Because my extreme value goblets are 500,000,000 apiece, they cause integer overflows easily. 

I apparently caused an integer overflow with 2,000,000,000 value trade deals, so apparently, it's calculating the whole caravan's value when doing this.

I'll try trading one masterwork and one exceptional, for a total of 1,700,000,000 and seeing if that doesn't cause an overflow...

EDIT: 1,000,000,000 was the limit I could trade to them without causing an overflow.  I guess they were already carrying over 1,000,000,000 in trade goods already.  I shouldn't have traded more than about 40,000,000 to them, already, so these caravans really balloon in size.  (Of course, I have a massive TRADE_CAPACITY boost...)

Extreme value trade did not raise the save file significantly.  Apparently, only the data on the goblets I trade away is saved.  The caravan junk that isn't traded is simply deleted.

Memory use is also at 370 megs, which is actually less than last year, somehow...

Memory stays at 370 megs even with caravans on the map.

Even after trading them over a billion in value last time, they aren't arriving with more goods, and have 10 million in excess weight with which to bring those goods.  I think I'm hitting some sort of caravan cap, which is at roughly 100 total goods (counting stacks as 1).

Integer Overflow Example Save
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:48:55 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2012, 04:42:59 pm »

I only read up to page seven, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but another popular method of garbage removal is throwing it into eerie glowing pits/chasms (which are now gone).
They still exist in hell, but that's sliiiightly more dangerous than tossing junk into magma flows.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2012, 04:48:45 pm »

If it is integer overflow, then the next step I see is to try to get the value to wrap back around. 3,000,000 or so goblets should do the trick.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2012, 04:59:47 pm »

They still exist in hell, but that's sliiiightly more dangerous than tossing junk into magma flows.
Set worldgen params to have nobody populate hell. Then it's safe (if you haven't modded in your own) - or so I hear, I haven't tried.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2012, 05:35:46 pm »

If it is integer overflow, then the next step I see is to try to get the value to wrap back around. 3,000,000 or so goblets should do the trick.

It still reacts as if you gave them negative stuff even when it wraps back around.  Besides, it only takes 3 to make it overflow, so 6 would make it wrap all the way around to a positive, logically speaking.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2012, 06:35:12 pm »

Huh, I just noticed a big FPS drop when I *deleted* a stockpile. Specifically, I made a seed stockpile in my mushroom farming SCIENCE fort and later decided I didn't need it. Suddenly my FPS takes a hit from 120-ish to 20-ish. Now this could just be a hiccup on my system, so can someone cross check this? I'll have my saves up in a bit - almost done stocking up 100k plump helmets and I've definitely been getting FPS decay though I want to do some fair tests before drawing conclusions.

I do suspect though, that Kohaku's "remove things from vector" theory of FPS decay can apply to jobs if each dwarf is given a 'queue' of things to do in what order.

Edit: the FPS recovered eventually, possibly because I set another seed stockpile or possibly because dwarves really really want to put seeds in a bag of some sort.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:42:58 pm by Psieye »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2012, 06:37:07 pm »

Possibly of note to this discussion:

I turned off invasions in my latest fort because I was sick of dying to year 1 necromancer invasions. 9 years in and I've kept a good FPS far longer than usual. Hovering around 150 instead of dipping to 70 or so like normal. Still have boatloads of items, such as plants and metal ore/bars, but twice the normal framerate.

It may have something to do with units and items entering and/or leaving the map, period. Not just traders.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18