Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Ledi's Self Challenge - Overcoming OCD (Now with log)  (Read 17832 times)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledi's Self Challenge - Overcoming OCD (Now with log)
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 12:21:26 pm »

Log of Shorost Ômònul, Mayor of Isakäs, "Spatteredcave"

19th Slate, 1056

A forgotten beast! Kusut Gesosahthet, an enormous eyeless bear with dark taupe hair and large mandibles!

...I'd be a lot more scared if it hadn't appeared on the edge of a map surrounded by solid walls, with nothing but a ramp up to a single width corridoor surrounded by open space. It's not going anywhere, and therefore it's going to get ignored - until we have military dwarves with crossbows. Ha!

2nd Galena, 1056

We need doors. And more statues. I must pass this on to my masons!

Fortifications have been built for marksdwarf access to Kusut... if he'd ever move from the ramp so they could use him for target practice.

12th Galena, 1056

It never rains... but murky pools fill up. Ahem. Where was I?

Oh yes... human traders have arrived, and as if they were a trigger, Udib, one of the new migrant peasants, dropped the logs he was hauling and ran screaming back into the caverns.

This is why I don't go outside.

14th Galena, 1056

Surprise, surprise... Udib claimed a craft workshop. Would it be too much to ask for a USEFUL mood in my term as mayor?

21st Galena, 1056

Udib chased me down while I was moving things to the depot, with a wooden amulet hanging from his hand. "Okabmuzish! (Brokenmartyr)" He screamed in my face. That is definitely not a good name for any piece of jewellery, and my irritation turned to concern. I took a closer look at the amulet - it is made of ash, decorated with groundhog bone and encircled with bands of ash. The entire amulet is surrounded by spikes of oak. It was the image in the centre that I had to squint at to decipher...

... It was Fortunebeards, the toy hammer.

I wonder where that hammer is... maybe I should check up on who has it.

23rd Galena, 1056

THE TRADERS! THEY WANT MY STATUES! I'LL MAKE SURE NO DWARVES TRADE MY STATUES!

1st Granite, 1057

Both Human and Dwarven traders have gone, and none of my precious statues were traded to them. Since they are now safe I've lifted the trading ban. I have now been Mayor for over a year, and although no progress has been made towards finding magma for smelting and forging, the military are slowly training themselves to be combat-ready.

27th Granite, 1057

The first birth since I became Mayor - Fikod, one of the Leatherworkers, had a baby girl today. They named her Atír Koveststukos - Atír Pearlrazor. An... interesting name.

6th Slate, 1057

Migrants - twenty of them! And none of these will be pressed into the military. We now have enough to begin explorations in earnest.

9th Slate, 1057

So close to the new migrants arriving, One of our masons has started gibbering in a language I do not understand. I do hope the new citizens haven't brought in any infectious diseases.

16th Slate, 1057

It appears the new citizens had nothing to do with Bomrek's insanity. After taking random things from around the stockpiles, she has settled into a mason's workshop and begun work.

It could have been worse... it could have been a craft workshop.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 12:39:13 pm »

YOU ARE THE ONLY SANE DWARF IN THIS FORT.
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 04:47:06 am »

YOU ARE THE ONLY SANE DWARF IN THIS FORT.

XD Well, she has her plans, as would any dwarf in power...

And I was amused as I was looking over the dwarves in Dwarf Therapist - from the original group there are only two still alive...

The two miners.

I think that fits the entire narrative beautifully. :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:50:30 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 08:10:41 am »

20th Slate, 1057

Bomrek has emerged from her workshop, carrying a schist weapon rack. Ôsustlebes (Tameapex), she calls it. It is decorated with hoary marmot leather, ash and tutle shell, and the base is encircled with bands of schist decorated with images of dwarves in both copper and turtle shell. The weapon dividers are spikes of fire opal, attached with warthog leather. She shyly asked if it could go in the barracks to motivate the militia. I feel that is a good use for it.

18th Hematite, 1057

More migrants! And we haven't even been able to make bedrooms for all of the last set yet. Those masons better speed up their work!

There's only eight of them, that's somewhat of a relief.

5th Malachite, 1057

We have struck another cavern system! The original staircase has been expanded deeper underground, and rewarded us with more livable caves. It remains to be seen whether or not there is any magma down there, however.

I have ordered the stairwell reduced to one tile wide, as we are unsure if the cavern systems are empty.

20th Malachite, 1057

Our exploration team reports a large underground pool and a lot of plants, but no magma. I've ordered one team to continue exploration and another to continue deeper into the ground.

18th Galena, 1057

More caves, far below the first! We found them just as the human traders arrived - which means exploration will have to be delayed until they are gone.

20th Malachite, 1057

It's a good thing that no one is injured, because our chief medical Dwarf just walked out of the infirmary, muttering quietly under his breath.

28th Malachite, 1057

...The medical dwarf refuses to claim any of our workshops. This is puzzling.

1st Limestone, 1057

Well, we wanted magma, and we GOT magma! A huge sea of it, far below our beds. Come on boys, we're relocating!

2nd Limestone, 1057

One wall of the magma lake is adamantine... too warm to touch for now, but no forgetting where it is! Starting to plan for a mass relocation of all essential services to the caverns just above the magma sea.

13th Limestone, 1057

While trying to find out what Aläth bloody well wanted to work in, one of our new migrants timidly suggested a bowyers workshop. It's worth a shot.

15th Limestone, 1057

He's moving! Now let's just hope that damn doctor gets his materials in time.

24th Limestone, 1057

Aläth has started a mysterious construction. That was a welcome message, as I'd started to fear for his sanity.

25th Limestone, 1057

More migrants have arrived! No use building the nine of them bedrooms on the upper floors, we'll be moving soon enough. Perhaps I should get them to start clearing out the undergrowth and hauling stocks down to the lower caverns.

2nd Sandstone, 1057

Aläth has completed Vakistekast (Lacysave), a fungiwood crossbow. I think it's the most useful artefact created so far - and the only weapon. Of course, he had to give it a stupid name. I admit I was hovering and waiting for him to finish it so I could have a look. It certainly is shiny - encrusted with melanite, studded with copper, decorated with black-cap and encircled with bands of melanite. Spiky, too - sphalerite twined with rope reed fiber and giant cave spider silk. Two images adorn the shaft - a dwarf carved into the fungiwood, and an image of a human in horn silver. I had the history of the human babbled at me, but as with the figurine, once Aläth snapped out of his trance, he couldn't remember what he'd said, and he'd spoke too quick for me to catch much more than it was aobut a journey.

It smashes the highest valued artefact in the cavern record by a good 20000, Kogan having valued it at 63600.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 09:19:15 am »

This is Boatmurdered quality entertainment. Keep up the good work!

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2010, 01:31:50 pm »

Thankyou so much for your words of encouragement, I'm incredibly flattered to be compared to the epic which got me playing Dwarf Fortress in the first place. ^^ Not much happening right now, lots of waiting for masons and furniture haulers... trying to update with what does happen, and skipping large amounts of boring time. >.>

19th Sandstone, 1057

I have authorised a tunnel from the mines to the outer edges of the new caverns - this'll mean our haulers will be able to get stone without having to set foot on the surface. Fishing has been moved to the underground water sources, and workshops are starting to be placed in strategic areas of the lower caverns. There's a lot of wood-clearing and flooring yet to be done before a full-scale move down here will be possible, but I believe it will be worth it in the end.

Also: No statues are to be traded to outsiders, for any reason.

19th Timber, 1057

Traders have interrupted the monotony of current life. They're not getting my statues! I've ordered a couple of bins of our stoneworks to be hauled up to the surface. The rest of the dwarves are to continue making the lowest caverns livable.

12th Moonstone, 1057

The traders having left (minus some livestock), routine has been interrupted by a woodcutter being taken by a fey mood. Somewhat expected by one who has been outside so much before these new caverns were found.

13th Moonstone, 1057

Vabôk tracked herself all the way upstairs to one of the old carpentry workshops and rushed off to gather materials.

25th Moonstone, 1057

Whatever Vabôk creates, it's going to be colourful. Three different types of logs, leather, shell, silver bars, schist...

27th Moonstone, 1057

In the middle of her frenzied creation, Vabôk gave birth to a girl! This didn't seem to halt her creative process in the slightest...

3rd Opal, 1057

We have now added Nonshutkulin Gomomatór (Betwitchpalms the Dour Perfection), a black-cap bin. This bin is studded with silver, decorated with tower-cap and encircled with bands of goblin-cap, groundhog leather and silver. To intimidate any would-be thieves, the bin menaces with spikes of black-cap, phyllite, black vircon and schist. Emblazoned on the lid is an image of two shining suns in turtle shell. Honestly, if she wanted to make them shine she could have used silver... I mentioned this to Vabôk and she growled at me. Typical artist temperment. Back to cutting wood for her!

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2010, 03:19:10 pm »

This is Boatmurdered quality entertainment. Keep up the good work!
I'm not sure if I can agree, but I must say I most of the time check the forums JUST FOR THIS THREAD.
also:
In the middle of her frenzied creation, Vabôk gave birth to a girl! This didn't seem to halt her creative process in the slightest...
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

hm, is there already a suggestion for this thread in the weekly wambler?
My english, especially in terms of vocabulary, is not good enough to write this myself (imo at least :p ), but I'm probably just cowardly V___V *sigh*
nah, first check the WW-thread, and then think again about it after some sleep.

EDIT: wenn in doubt, apply magma. posted it XD
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:37:55 pm by Rainforce »
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2010, 05:11:05 pm »

I'm enjoying this. Keep it up!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2010, 07:25:04 pm »

Thank goodness for the wambler! I'd have missed this gem otherwise. Can't wait to see more updates! :D

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2010, 08:12:12 pm »

I like your sleeping quarters :).  They look like a ninja star!
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 06:52:58 am »

Hello to all the new readers, and welcome to Spatteredcave! It's not magma vs elephants, but I hope you find it entertaining all the same. ^^

10th Opal, 1057

...Diligence has its price. Kubuk Mengnakuth, one of our stoneworkers, died from thirst today. The irony? He was in the middle of the drinks stockpile when he died. I'm... really not sure what to say about that. Honestly.

1st Granite, 1058

It's Spring again, the start of a new year. The sleeping quarters are slowly being worked on, I believe we now have bedrooms for half our population to successfully move. Farmers are still working in the higher caverns, but we have marked out an area to be cleared for farming purposes.
Candidly, I'm starting to feel quite bored with all the waiting, although the masons assure me they are working as quickly as possible.

6th Granite, 1058

Work seems to be slowing somewhat. I know what will raise morale - more statues! I'll pass my orders on to the masons immediately.

5th Slate, 1058

Another strange-acting dwarf... at least I don't have to worry about this one giving birth while insane. Aban, one of our metalcrafters, has withdrawn from society. He's heading towards the workshop floor as I write.

7th Slate, 1058

The waters of the lower cavern are churning - through the ripples a giant eight-legged quadruped composed of limonite can be seen. Quothest has arrived! I'm not sure if he can exit the water, however. I've advised everyone to keep an eye on the underground pool he is currently calling home.

In other news, Aban has claimed a Metalsmith's Forge. I guess the news hasn't gotten through to him yet.

16th Slate, 1058

Aban has started his construction. No sign yet of Quothest, I think he's having a long swim...

21st Slate, 1058

Quothest has disappeared from the map. Maybe he melted, I'm not sure...

More workers migrants have arrived! Twenty of them, including two trained masons. I hope they are not put off by the chaos they find here due to the moving preparations, but even if they are I'm sure they'll soon adapt.

Aban has finished his creation, Tholtig Aran, a lead flask. I'm not sure how this will be useful, but it is definitely ornate. it's encrusted with bismuthinite and adorned with hanging rings of turtle shell. Spikes of lead, horse bone, skate leather and goblin-cap surround two inages - one of fire snakes in schist, the other of a traveling human. This human is apparently Strustlot Meadowworker, and the image relates to his journey to the Uncertain Hill in 881. Most of the humans which have turned up in our unhinged artwork have been travelling to this hill. It must have been a very popular - or dangerous - destination.

2nd Felsite, 1058

The new migrants have become accustomed to their new home, helping us to prepare the living quarters and stockpiles in the lower caverns. The two masons have been an incredible help, giving orders on how to raise walls and place floors. The mines have been expanded to the southeast side of the map, as magma made it too dangerous to dig deeper. I only noticed this because the miners had to cross the cavern to get to their new site. It's the first time I have seen them in many months. They're both as surly as ever.

22nd Felsite, 1058

Quothest has reappeared, on land! The alarm has been sound, and the military are about to be tested. All civilian dwarves have been ordered back to the upper caverns.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 01:12:17 pm »

That's ominous.  Especially considering the difficulties with killing things made of nonliving materials. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 04:04:30 pm »

An eight-legged quadruped? Does it have a redundant set of legs on the top of its body or something?

Tholtig Aran
Your metalcrafter watches these fora too much and plays too much Metroid.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2010, 08:15:40 pm »

An eight-legged quadruped? Does it have a redundant set of legs on the top of its body or something?

I don't know, that's what the game told me. >.> I'm imagining something akin to redundant legs myself... I blinked at the game description as well, that's to be sure. I don't think Shorast is smart enough to notice the discrepancy though. ;)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2010, 09:20:57 pm »

iirc depictions of Sleipnir (lokis son and Odins horse) have often enough 8 legs. As such i think the quadruped means more the form of the body then the number of legs ;)

edit: fixed link
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:48:32 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6