Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41

Author Topic: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode  (Read 98943 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode
« Reply #270 on: October 15, 2014, 09:27:55 am »

No access to jack rats is possible, just like no access to dogs or plump helmets is possible in valnilla. For future reference, when random wagon explosions hapen, type "weather rain"[Or possibly "setweather rain""] into DFhack to put it out. DFhack command used to fix/avert disaster caused by bugs isn't really cheating. Random wagon explosions are a thing, so exercise wagon safety.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

NeoxDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 15, 2014, 11:20:07 am »

I tried adding the glassblower entries to dfhack_inorganic, kobold reactions and entity files but the glassblower option is still not available in the base tent's list of reactions. Can anyone help me out? Not good with dfhack.  :'(

Edit:Alright, genning a new world with the edited raws fixed the problem.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:24:41 am by NeoxDark »

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2014, 09:11:16 pm »

Does slowpoke poison and the slow hex stack in order to make the enemy reallllllly slow?
also, the poison workshop needs plans raided from the deep drow in order to be created according to the manual. the deep drow don't exist anymore in the mod. who are the plans raided from now?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2014, 10:05:32 pm »

Does slowpoke poison and the slow hex stack in order to make the enemy reallllllly slow?
also, the poison workshop needs plans raided from the deep drow in order to be created according to the manual. the deep drow don't exist anymore in the mod. who are the plans raided from now?

Probably. In 34.11 that probably equals HUGE combat advantage, so its probably a good idea to mix them.

No idea where you get the advanced poisons now. Maybe its in the Shroomshop from the normal drow?
Spooky Signature

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2014, 07:21:20 pm »

Other than cobaltpacked, are there any good kobold fort playthroughs (preferably ones that are finished) that I could take a read through to see how kobold forts go from beginning to end?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2014, 07:32:49 pm »

No, not really. Cobaltpacked is the only one. Although there was a thread somewhere in the masterwork df board searching for interest for a kobold succession fort. Meph had a tutorial fort for an earlier version[Chancetips], which, while brief and out of date, is still somewhat relevant. There was also a kobold fort which involved vampires and dark rituals[Here] at some point, but that was a while ago and may or may not have been Masterwork. And someone tried to do some challenges with them[No digging or walls on a glacier, no building on land on a map filled with oceans.].
Spooky Signature

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2014, 07:41:18 pm »

kobolds don't really have to build aboveground much right? I mean, other then walls to keep the baddies out, they can usually sprawl out in the first couple soil layers correct? I'm not a huge fan of above ground constructions (they're slow and irritating), but also want to give kobolds a try because they actually seem to be much more straightforward then all the other races.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2014, 07:58:28 pm »

As of right now, shovels only last a few weeks and kobolds dig super slowly, so occupying the first few soil layers doesn't work nearly as well as it used to. In Cobaltpacked, I can dig so much because a bug in that version made well enough crafted shovels not decay like they should. Kobolds can make 4 planks from one log at their Sawmill building[Which you can build from wooden spikes] and 12 bricks[With clay and some processing.] from one log later in the game. And that's not even counting effectively unlimited blocks from bone/leather. I just give everyone carpentry/masoning to make things go faster. Plus their workshops are small and they don't require things like "individual bedrooms" or "non-water drinks", so you don't need to enclose a very large area, especially early on when you don't need any of the more late-game 5x5 workshops. Aboveground constructions are important for kobolds and are much more practical then underground ones most of the time, but they're a lot easier to build then they are in valnilla or for other MW races.
Spooky Signature

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 21, 2014, 08:05:27 pm »

so how much space do you estimate kobolds need above ground in the beginning, and how soon can one begin to effectively wall it off?
edit: also I assume kobold traders don't bring wagons, only pack animals?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:18:06 pm by vcordie »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 21, 2014, 08:55:36 pm »

Kobold trader DO bring wagons. And around a 6X21 area is needed for the basic 3x3 workshops[Butcher, Tanner, Kitchen, Craftsbold, Leather Works and Kiln], advanced 3x5 workshops[Leather Trimmer, Wood Processor, Sawmill and Bone Chipper] and industry 5x5 workshops[Leather Upholstry and Boneyard]. Farm plots, food stockpiles/pastures and dormitories enlarge this, so lets say 10x21 total, until you can get food moved underground. 8+8+21+21= 28 planks[7 logs worth of planks] for a full enclosure of the starting area. Cobaltpacked uses 20x20, because I included metalsmithing, tailoring and more advanced workshops[18+18+20+20 = 76 planks = 19 logs worth]. So with ~20 logs for the workshops, that means 40 logs to make a fully functional above ground kobold fort and ~25 to make a more minimalistic model. I usually get that done by the end of the first spring, midsummer at latest. And then you only have to do minor additions, which are much less of a hassle.

Tips to get this done as quickly and efficiently as possible: Bring 20 jack rats of either gender and almost immediately start butchering all but one of the male rats for leather for tents and meat. I usually go with a woodcutter, a carpenter, a farmer, a butcher/tanner, a cook, a leatherworker and a bone carver as my starting seven and enable carpentry on all of them at first to get the walls built quicker. Gathering clay boulders for building materials helps significantly.
Spooky Signature

NeoxDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2014, 08:40:16 am »

Since the deep drow doesn't exist anymore, the poisoner lab is now listed in the greater tent list of workshops. You build it using 3 tanned skin (suede works), 1 log, 1 mortar, and 1 pestle. No workshop plans needed.

Edit:Actually after I watched them made the poisoner lab, I don't think the mortar and pestle is needed...just the standard 1 tanned leather/suede refitting cost.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:47:18 am by NeoxDark »

NeoxDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2014, 10:11:52 am »

On a side note, has anyone manage to plant bloomberries, indigo flowers, boreal tubers, taiga pears, and winter bloodberries? They don't show up in my farm plot's list of plantable crops. :(

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2014, 10:47:32 am »

>> boreal tubers, taiga pears, and winter bloodberries?

only grow in taiga, tundra, and possibly glacier(? ... perhaps not in practice not since there's no soil?), in fall and winter

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 22, 2014, 01:06:15 pm »

Kobold trader DO bring wagons....*snip*
In cobaltpacked, I notice you don't embark on a cave. How important is this to actually advance, considering kobolds never ever gain the ability to dig stone (which is sad, it should be like one of the highest tier workshops)

edit: Also, what's a good standard embark look like? other then boatloads of jackrabbits
edit: I mean jackrats

NeoxDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2014, 01:17:30 pm »

Kobold trader DO bring wagons....*snip*
In cobaltpacked, I notice you don't embark on a cave. How important is this to actually advance, considering kobolds never ever gain the ability to dig stone (which is sad, it should be like one of the highest tier workshops)

edit: Also, what's a good standard embark look like? other then boatloads of jackrabbits
edit: I mean jackrats
Kobolds CAN dig through stone although slowly and with a 99% exp penalty, the manuals are a bit dated. Eh other than having a crapload of the little rodents, you could embark with some pond turtles. 1 for 2 points, 2 of them makes a shellplate, and you need 5 of these for a full set of iron grade armor. Basically you can outfit your starting 7 with full irongrade armor for only 140 points. A bit gamey I think but its up to you. Bringing along 4-9 seeds of each type would be nice (minus the biome specific ones). The woodstalk bulb stalks you would need a ton of, its your lifeline to wood access once you deforested the map and until you can reliably use magma. I am still a noob though so don't quote me on this.

Edit:If you embarked somewhere there is peat, you could gather the peat indefinitely (they are an infinite resource) using clay ovens and using the screw press to compress the peat into compact peat at a ratio of 5 to 1. You could then convert the compact peat into 2-4 coke with a 50% chance of producing 1 bar of ash. This is essentially an unlimited fuel source but its rather labor intensive and time consuming. I personally would just burn logs for the coke.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:24:59 pm by NeoxDark »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41