Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 409858 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.52
« Reply #1605 on: March 29, 2014, 10:13:43 pm »

Ask him what the local alternative is for computation, if not electricity - could he make steam machines that can be reconfigured in a matter of moments to solve a wide variety of extremely complex math problems? Electricity seems particularly good for logic gates, but I'd certainly be interested in knowing if there's an alternative here.

Also, Explain to him that you still have mental contact with people from the world where stuff like this exists, if he doesn't mind a time delay and wants any questions about the technology answered, so long as its answerable in a way that you can repeat back. Also, tell him we're big fans of his work - well not him, in particular, but versions of him.

Finally, Ask him if he knows of a way to somehow read another's thoughts, or to be able to think what they're thinking, or anything like that. It would be interesting to talk to someone else directly, I think. :D

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: March 30, 2014, 05:31:56 am »

we might point out that we enjoy a much higher standard of living in our world

Do we? Maybe we have more electronic toys to play with, but I'm pretty sure Vivec City has a lower rate of homelessness than Los Angeles, for example. Much better health care in Morrowind too. Uupse just cast a pair of spells that cured you of all diseases not caused by gods. I'd imagine there are a lot of aids/cancer/herpes/etc sufferers who'd be happy to have that option. And for those who aren't friends with wizards, a trip to the local alchemist would give the same result for roughly 1/6th the cost of a monthly Balmora apartment rental. Public transporation? Mage guild teleportation isn't any more expensive than silt strider or boat travel. Imagine if you could walk into Los Angelees airport and instantly teleport to New York, with no waiting in lines, no need to buy tickets months in advance and all for about the same cost as cab fare.

What exactly do we have better? More toys? Maybe Morrowind doesn't get 300+ cable channels. But their lower class is free of hunger and disease and their upper class is effectively immortal and sometimes ascends to godhood. I'm sure both Hugh Heffner and Bill Gates would be thrilled to be in as good physical condition as Divayth Fyr when they reach 4000.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 30, 2014, 06:43:13 am »

In other news, you guys probably have 2-3 days before I even consider starting the next update, so I suggest you talk among yourselves a bit about what you want to do. If you want to ride with Cinia, you have time to get in a few questions before you leave. If you plan to find another way off the island, you don't have that time constraint, but:

ask him to tell us some jokes.
Tell him that one of the voices in your head is irritated
ask whether he has seen an outer plane where events in Mundus are a game
Chat about the accomplishments of Dwemer engineering
ask him about what made him interrupt Uupse.

Will any of these questions help you in any way? Do you really want to lose your ride off the island just to make smalltalk? This is the guy you've been wanting to talk to since like episode 10. What do you want to talk to him about?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: March 30, 2014, 11:20:20 am »

What exactly do we have better? More toys? Maybe Morrowind doesn't get 300+ cable channels. But their lower class is free of hunger and disease and their upper class is effectively immortal and sometimes ascends to godhood. I'm sure both Hugh Heffner and Bill Gates would be thrilled to be in as good physical condition as Divayth Fyr when they reach 4000.

The lower class isn't free from hunger, and their are two upper classes: elven mages and the rest of the upper class. Humans are still as mortal as us.

Besides that, think of how many bandits there are in Tamriel. What social conditions would cause that? What would possibly be able to cause more than half of Tamriel's population to take up banditry? Morrowind still has slavery as a commonly accepted thing. The poor live in one-room shacks. The average level of education is terrible. Daedra, vampires, and other things that go bump in the night regularly prey on people.

In addition, think of the absurd disparity in wealth between social classes. Most commoners have less than ten septims of pocket change. Divayth wears a full suit of daedric armor. Some reclusive noble in Vivec can afford to give away daedric weapons for information. The rich are usually people with vast arcane powers or slaves, and the lower classes are left with basically nothing.

I'd argue our standard of living is significantly higher.

Also, I only suggested we ask Yagrum about what made him interrupt Uupse because I know it'd tick him off. I vote we ask him about what he knows about the Nerevarine, and... crap, I forgot why we came down here aside from getting our phone appraised.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 30, 2014, 04:21:11 pm »

As you make your way through the area, one of the afflicted sees you staring and nods as if to say hello. What's going on here? Ask what's going on here.

Also don't we have to give him the dwemer toy?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: March 30, 2014, 05:05:23 pm »

There's also the fact that our society is constantly changing and improving, on the order of every decade. I'd call Morrowind fairly stagnant, and Tamriel just as. Sure, land changes hands often, but Skyrim and Morrowind are centuries apart in the timeline, but I could hardly tell, where-as here you'd be able to tell to the DECADE what time you are in, and on the order of centuries? Forget it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 30, 2014, 05:18:01 pm »

Don't forget to give him the dwemer puzzle before leaving.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 30, 2014, 06:02:04 pm »

Do you really want to lose your ride off the island just to make smalltalk?
You seem to underestimate our interest in smalltalk. Particularly with last and almost immortal member of race that attempted to pull instrumentality on themselves because Fuck You Illogical Gods! fat dwarf with magical aids/cancer and dirty jokes.

+1 to all previous suggestions, especially asking him about travel on Outer Planes we might be from, ask if he thinks it's possible that the "possibility" of us existing became real (maybe through magick or divine intervention) to bring us here, like Vivek suggested earlier.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 30, 2014, 06:05:55 pm »

If you want to ride with Cinia, you have time to get in a few questions before you leave.
To be honest? I just assumed we were going to miss the ride no matter what happened. I guess you're just more of an optimist than me! :V

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:09 pm »

PTW
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 30, 2014, 08:19:24 pm »

To cut a lot of faff out of the conversation, tell him that we come from a Universe without Magicka; or at least if it has magic, it remains largely undetected and works completely differently.

If he wants to know more, tell him that since we don't have the heating substance that dwemer steam technology uses, and as such steam for us requires burning fuel mined from the ground. In fact, our society relies more on buried hydrocarbon fuel than on electricity. We opted to forgo the "middleman" of steam and power our engines directly by combustion of high energy density fuel. Electricity is most commonly generated by burning hydrocarbons.

To answer most of our physics questions in one go, ask him if he knows anything about atomic/nuclear power. If he has no idea, it's likely that fundamental particles work a bit differently in this universe. Or perhaps that the Dwemer never bothered/managed to examine such small scales, but I doubt that.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 30, 2014, 09:26:33 pm »

If nothing else, make sure to tell him about how you have mental contact with the people from a world like the one where the phone came from, and ask if that might interest him! Especially if he can organize a ride home for us, we'd love to stay and chat about everything, because all of those voices are REALLY excited to meet him!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 30, 2014, 10:00:51 pm »

Explain to him that you still have mental contact with people from the world where stuff like this exists
make sure to tell him about how you have mental contact with the people from a world like the one where the phone came from

This suggestion would need consensus to be acted on, as it could potentially have long-reaching consequences for better or worse. Remember there were some things you decided to specifically not tell Divayth.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 30, 2014, 10:37:17 pm »

Explain to him that you still have mental contact with people from the world where stuff like this exists
make sure to tell him about how you have mental contact with the people from a world like the one where the phone came from

This suggestion would need consensus to be acted on, as it could potentially have long-reaching consequences for better or worse. Remember there were some things you decided to specifically not tell Divayth.

I was going to restrict myself to just watching this game but I'm going to post again specifically to request we not give too much information. I'm paranoid but in a world like this, paranoia is probably for the best.

Huh, if we're already asking about things like nuclear technology and atomic stuff, i wonder if it would be possible to build an atomic bomb in Morrowind. If physics, chemistry, etc are still even remotely similar in this universe, even building something like a basic gun could be beneficial to us (not even so much in combat but in regard to selling said technology here to make a profit).
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 30, 2014, 10:41:07 pm »

Ask Yagrum what he knows about Clover and the Nerevarine, and then leave, making sure to be on time for the boat above all. Don't sell the phone. Do not in any way tell him about voices in your head.

Michael is never going to get anything accomplished with this lot at the helm. There is way too much interest in pointless chatting with ancient creatures that have no real interest in helping Michael. We need to establish long term plans to level up Michael, and figure out whether he is the Nerevarine, while keeping our focus on why we go places. Remember Clover? Everybody was in such a hurry to get here to figure out about her and so far all we have done is bore an ancient wizard who wouldn't tell us anything about her and talk about electricity with a member of an ancient civilization that can't help Michael at all because they all disappeared.

On more of an out of character note, you guys do realize that the point of this whole thing isn't to argue LB's take on the history and mechanics of the Elder Scrolls universe, right? As fascinating as you might find it to sit and talk with some of these characters, LB is making up these conversations and you could really argue the benefits of a magical society versus a technological society with him anywhere. It isn't helping Michael. In fact, I think at this point Michael seems to be much less concerned about WHY he is in Morrowind and much more concerned about living there. He doesn't want to go back, so who cares about how he got here? We have spent months in pointless conversations and very little time actually doing anything.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 161