Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: UPDATE - MDF4a - A lot. (and set-color UI buttons)  (Read 16257 times)

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE - MDF4a - A lot. (and set-color UI buttons)
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2013, 07:40:25 pm »

Is it just me, or did you remove the option for dwarven castes in this UI?

Dwarven castes are out, guilds are the new thing replacing castes.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2013, 10:01:38 pm »

So what's the easiest way to prevent me from getting guild-members when I embark, but still allowing me the option afterwards?
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2013, 10:10:46 pm »

So what's the easiest way to prevent me from getting guild-members when I embark, but still allowing me the option afterwards?
Open reaction_masterwork2.txt and change this:

[REACTION:JOIN_GUILD_NONE]
   [NAME:Leave a guild]
   [BUILDING:GUILDHALL:CUSTOM_SHIFT_X]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:GUILD_NONE_M]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:GUILD_NONE_F]
[PRODUCT:0:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:ANNOUNCEMENT_EXITGUILD]

To this:
   [BUILDING:POTTED_GRASS:NONE]

Enable Herbalism and Architect on a dwarf
Build->Furnace ->Patch of Grass
Assign a manager
Use Profiles to have any guild members you don't want, leave their guild.  The reaction is pretty much instantaneous .
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2013, 10:51:42 pm »

Open reaction_masterwork2.txt and change this:

To this:
   [BUILDING:POTTED_GRASS:NONE]

Enable Herbalism and Architect on a dwarf
Build->Furnace ->Patch of Grass
Assign a manager
Use Profiles to have any guild members you don't want, leave their guild.  The reaction is pretty much instantaneous .

OMG ty, this is a useful thing, I donīt like this randomness, cause you get dangerous Firemages than kill your whole embark by igniting the grass.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2013, 10:56:07 pm »

MUST DO. Right now I have to build the guildhall really early so that I can get people out of the useless Animal Handler and Fishery guilds. Plus the more dangerous magic ones.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2013, 10:57:07 pm »

That still won't help when I get mages and such. Would changing the different [CASTE] tags to -CASTE] or something, and then reverting it back after I have gened the world help at all?
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2013, 01:54:15 am »

You do know that guild members doing jobs outside of their guilds learn at the same rate as any other dwarf who doesn't belong to the particular guild that would do best. They all learn at 50% unless it is a skill related to their guild.  So a non-guild dwarf is just as bad at farming as a Fisher guild dwarf.

There is no reaction that I can see to make a magic class leave their magic guild.  You'd have to modify the resulting inorganic:guild_none_m and _f to affect all of the various castes that the magic guilds have.

I'm not going to track down all of the caste names that you'd have to add to those inorganics.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2013, 03:36:44 am »

I just tried starting a game and my starting 7 were two fire mages, a water mage, fishery guild worker, a healer's guild and two peasants .... I imagined the carnage that embark would start off with and re rolled the start hehe.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2013, 01:29:48 pm »

When your firemages saw a stupid Leprechaum, your map gonna burst in flames, killing everything.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2013, 06:29:56 am »

there is none.

Never say never. I am currently lurking around here, but do preparations for my Malta trip.

This why is not posting latelly, was thinking "baww he goes on trip, no hoxfixes till 2 weeks" :(
maybe, maybe not. :P

I plan on another release, albeit a small one, before I leave. Malta proved very easily done... tiny, warm weather, so a small pack with some camping gear, 2kg or so, all together 4-5kg, and doing a week of hiking there.

Is it just me, or did you remove the option for dwarven castes in this UI?
correct. people can crash the game if they disable castes, leave the guildhall in, and then try to transform a dwarf into a guild member.

Finally got internet and (some) time back, and have a question: Was the grazing toggle button removed?
yes, because grazing with optional because it was a broken feature. some animals starved to death on unlimited grass, and there was no way to manuall feed pets. Since I tweaked the values so that animals dont starve that fast, AND you have the stables for keeping grazers underground, I see no reason to leave grazing as an option. Its a integral part of vanilla DF, I fixed the unfishied issues with it, so its back in.

rest is noted.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2013, 09:59:38 pm »

I love your 'war animals do not graze' policy Meph. No joke, no sarcasm, just plain thanks. :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]