Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 76101 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS!: One wizard down.
« Reply #300 on: January 17, 2017, 01:11:09 am »

I'm waiting for alanna to be the one that gets the kill shot and thus powers.

What would Alanna's affinity even be?

She doesn't even get an affinity, she just gets inexplicable combat skills, gets almost immediantly recruited by a previously non-existant rebel group against a similarly nonexistant evil government and half the team abruptly turns into broody teenage boys, and then further transformed into hacked up piles of meat via enraged father.
I feel like theres a reference here I don't understand because I'm out of touch with the youth.

It's mostly a joke about how if a teenage female gets special powers something something this.

I'm also actually super sad Alanna didn't get a kill shot. Did you have a plan for that?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 17, 2017, 01:17:52 am »

Ahh, that was just like a hot tile.  Keep on moving and you don't get fried.

"Seeing as I've got my sword stuck halfway in the body, I'm gonna cut his head off.  You can carry it if you like."

Chop ze head off.  Check wizjub's body for stuff.  Don't take stuff yet, lets see how much there is before splitting it up.

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 17, 2017, 12:51:32 pm »

Sneak behind Gordon once he starts playing his musicbox, but don't get too close.  Just close enough to enjoy the wonderful sound of it.  Relax a little.

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #303 on: January 17, 2017, 04:11:03 pm »

Ahh, that was just like a hot tile.  Keep on moving and you don't get fried.

"Seeing as I've got my sword stuck halfway in the body, I'm gonna cut his head off.  You can carry it if you like."

Chop ze head off.  Check wizjub's body for stuff.  Don't take stuff yet, lets see how much there is before splitting it up.

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)
"...WHAT?"

"That was fast."

"I DID NOT EVEN GET TO DO ANYTHING! This is the worst battle. HOW CAN THEY WRITE SONGS OF THIS?"

"... Bill could get a-"

"NO."

"... Could I get a song?"

Marcus makes an 'eh' motion. "Maybe a verse."

Welp, time to loot. Marcus gets as many heads as he can carry. Also devise a method to make them weigh more than they naturally do. Metal acorns jammed deep into the meat, perhaps.

Alanna loots the bodies and surroundings in general, though.

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)

Beethro, Marcus and Alanna walk around the camp, gathering up what they can and piling it in the center. Or, for the larger items like the cargo crates, they simply make note of them.  Beethro retrieves his sword, which was yanked rather rudely out of his hands when the Chimera hurled the wizard's torso into a nearby tree. He uses it to finish the job that Bill started, severing the wizard's head. Much of it is still encased in ice so he carries it by its hair and tosses it onto the pile.  Marcus uses his ax to finish off the dying gunman and hacks his head off as well, for whatever reason. He ties the gunman's head to his belt and ignores the blood seeping down his legs as he searches out more plunder. Alanna busies herself with the more palatable goods, namely the cargo crates. Most of them are food, probably from a caravan returning to town, but there are a few crates of metal. She digs through and even opens a few unopened boxes but its all more of the same.

"These guys were more scavengers than bandits," Alanna says, sticking a sack of grain back into a box, "I think this stuff of theirs might be worth more if we return it than if we try and sell it. They might up our reward."

"These vandals have robbed Marcus of both glory AND riches! Marcus would kill them, if they were not already dead."

When the bodies have been stripped of their goods and the camp completely searched, the pile contains the following.
1 rile
2 clips of ammo
5 bottles of that liquid fire stuff the guy was tossing around
2 sets of flimsy armor
a pocket knife
a silver chain necklace
a large iron cooking pot
an iron pan
4 sets of crude iron forks and knives
a lot more of those acorns and a wooden gameboard that seems to have been set up to use the acorns as pieces
A flint and steel set
A few bags of spices
Another sack of teeth
A pre-wizard book of recipes
A compass
A metal saw (A saw made to cut metal, that is)
An old handcrank radio.
6 crude metal bowls
3 bedrolls

Sneak behind Gordon once he starts playing his musicbox, but don't get too close.  Just close enough to enjoy the wonderful sound of it.  Relax a little.

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)
"Dammit. Shoulda just shot the wizard."

Replace the single shell that I expended in that fight, then sit down and set my music box to catching and taming that skittish Sigh Pokemon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gordon touches the cut on his side and hisses with the sting of it.  The bleeding has mostly stopped on its own by now, but it still throbs. He sighs and sits down against the tree he was hiding behind. He opens his pack and pulls out the music box, still thankfully undamaged despite all the ruckus. He sets it down next to him and gives it a few good cranks before busying himself with his shotgun. He removes the spent cartridge and sticks a fresh one in before laying the rifle next to him. He rests his head back against the tree and is about to close his eyes when he notices something off to his right. It's that weird guy who had been assigned to the group but had been hiding the whole time. Gordon can't really see him, but he can see his shadow swaying  back and forth in  time to the music.

((Here are my updated stats for posterity. Also, what is corruption, how much do I have, and what do you need me to do about it? Also, Bill for Most Valuable Bandit Killer 2017. Good teamwork.))

Spoiler: Snakescorpion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarantula (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)

Corruption is something that afflicts all people touched by magic. Each time you gain a wizard level, I roll on the magic corruption table and you get one of the effects. Some are more obvious than others, like that wizard and his state of being constantly on fire, but the one you got is a bit less noticeable, especially in this location.  As per what you can do about it, there's nothing you CAN do. Magical corruption is inevitable and it gets worse the stronger you become. Sometimes it's beneficial, sometimes it's neutral and sometimes it can be harmful; it's just random what you're gonna get. Try not to scare the locals.

You can wake up whenever someone sees fit to go give you a bit of a shake, or after another turn or two of being asleep.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:49:22 pm by piecewise »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2017, 04:53:41 pm »

"Right. Marcus thinks the mayor will be happy with this. Extra pay! Huzzah!"

"Do we even have a cart?"

"Bah, we have head. They can come find this. Maybe take a sack for proof."

"Alright then. Why do you have the gunmans head?"

"Mayor said he was paying for heads!"

"... just the wizards head though?"

Marcus looks creastfallen. "Not all the heads?"

"No. Take the damn head off, it's disgusting."

Marcus takes a bottle of fire and a bag of spice. Alanna takes the book of recipies and the flint and steel.

Time to head home! Alanna also attempts to learn recipies.

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS! Adventure and murder in the magical apocalypse
« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2017, 05:14:57 pm »

((I meant what do you need me to do to my sheet, if anything.))

Sleep. Unless someone wakes me up.

Spoiler: Snakescorpion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarantula (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 17, 2017, 08:55:07 pm »

Gordon scootches two meters away from Sigh, leaving the music box in the same position, and tries to look natural while subtly observing Sigh.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #307 on: January 17, 2017, 10:29:20 pm »

Oh, by the way, I'm changing something in the rules for this game: In the rules you need to kill wizards equal to the next wizard level to level up. But thats balanced around games where you kill one wizard a session or so. Not games where we kill one wizard every couple of weeks or more.  So now, you kill a wizard, you gain a wizard level. Bing bang boom.

By the way, this game has been going on a bit now, you've had time to get a feel of things. Any comments?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 17, 2017, 10:35:21 pm »

Dunno what I can say about it that's very unique to the game. The world is fun, your writing is great as always, combat and such is the same as in NEUER, which I've already played a bunch of with you, and we haven't really seen any wizard powers yet.

I was a little surprised that you let me attack twice in a round with my double-barrel, but I guess that's a little mitigated by the limited clip. It's different from the normal NEUER way of "every d8 weapon is the same as every other d8 weapon."
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 17, 2017, 10:47:25 pm »

Oh, by the way, I'm changing something in the rules for this game: In the rules you need to kill wizards equal to the next wizard level to level up. But thats balanced around games where you kill one wizard a session or so. Not games where we kill one wizard every couple of weeks or more.  So now, you kill a wizard, you gain a wizard level. Bing bang boom.

By the way, this game has been going on a bit now, you've had time to get a feel of things. Any comments?

I vastly underestimated the impact not being able to both move and attack hindered me.

Unless things come to me I'm basically useless for the entierety of any opening.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:49:05 pm by Dermonster »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 17, 2017, 10:49:14 pm »

Bae is so OP that you'll never be able to attack anything, he'll just kill everyone in a single turn.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2017, 11:27:58 pm »

I like the writing and the setting. A village inside a cathedral is pretty cool, and makes me wonder what the rest of the world is like.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 18, 2017, 12:05:47 am »

Just gotta tank the hits, then Derm.

I'm having fun.  Only worry mechanics-wise is that the enemies may always get last turn, which could lead to things being pretty easy, (especially if we kill a few and then they have to morale-check before getting even one attack off) but we almost got wasted last time, so who knows?

"I think we should keep one fire-jar and a rifle each, and just bring the rest back to town.  Except the teeth, they're creepy."

In the proud tradition of one used to eating roach-bits for six month dungeon exterminations, cook up some of the food they were gathering, and try for a nice meal.

..And hope it isn't people.  Damn teeth.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:21:05 am by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #313 on: January 18, 2017, 01:02:46 am »

I vastly underestimated the impact not being able to both move and attack hindered me.

Unless things come to me I'm basically useless for the entierety of any opening.
You could always drop an armor class and just use shields.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 18, 2017, 01:17:56 am »

You could always drop an armor class and just use shields.

No but see that would make sense and I'm a lunatic. The only solution is to bolt five inches of solid steel to my soft flesh.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53