Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 651181 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Pokemon Go Release has Begun!
« Reply #5010 on: July 20, 2016, 12:30:39 pm »

Not to mention the parasitic fungus Pokémon that consumes all traces of its hosts' mind upon evolving, leaving it a soulless husk for the parasite to use as a puppet body.

I will never get over the fact that there is an adorable Cordyceps Pokémon.

... Wow. I didn't realize that was how Paras worked. Really puts the episode with the cowardly paras that everyone wants to evolve for monetary gain into perspective...
I always thought that thing was so creepy that I never let my Paras-es evolve. I would just go to endgame areas to catch an already-zombified Parasect instead.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: July 20, 2016, 12:31:04 pm »

I saw an eggexecute(sp?) down the road.  A little bit later I saw that a polywhirl (or whatever the babby version is called) spawned in the backyard pool.  I forgot both of those things even existed. 

I wonder how many gen 1 pokes are still relevant these days outside of the starters and Mewtwo.  It's been so long gen 1 and 2 kinda blend together in my memory.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:53:29 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: July 20, 2016, 01:00:52 pm »

I saw an eggexecute(sp?) down the road.  A little bit later I saw that a polywhirl (or whatever the babby version is called) spawned in the backyard pool.  I forgot both of those things even existed. 

I wonder how many gen 1 pokes are still relevant these days outside of the starters and Mewtwo.  It's been so long gen 1 and 2 kinda blend together in my memory.
Most of them are still relevant, at least in terms of battling ability.

There is a noticable power creep with the newer gens though, but I guess that's why we have mega evolutions?

Of the top of my head, the gen 1s that are pretty much worthless are:

1. Wigglytuff
2. Farfetch'd (though it is a joke Pokemon)
5. Parasect

Everyone else is at least decent.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: July 20, 2016, 01:11:18 pm »

They buffed some Gen 1/Gen 2 Pokemon's base stats relatively recently, didn't they? IIRC that helped compensate for the power creep a little.

Eviolite (a powerful item for pokemon who aren't fully evolved) was also important in buffing some Pokemon that had been outclassed by later-gen evolutions, like Chansey.

Also, did Mega Beedrill make Beedrill relevant? I might need to grab OR/AS just for that...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: July 20, 2016, 01:29:00 pm »

Ah yes beedrill.  I did fight a mega beedrill in triples somewhat recently. after a first turn protect it outsped my sceptile and got a big power boost from a successful use of fell stinger.  Though I flattened it immediately after it announced itself as a threat with a brave bird from my talonflame.

If you have some way to keep it from getting killed by getting looked at funny, I bet mega beedrill could do well.   Maybe in doubles or triples paired with something with follow me.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: July 20, 2016, 01:35:16 pm »

They buffed some Gen 1/Gen 2 Pokemon's base stats relatively recently, didn't they? IIRC that helped compensate for the power creep a little.

Eviolite (a powerful item for pokemon who aren't fully evolved) was also important in buffing some Pokemon that had been outclassed by later-gen evolutions, like Chansey.

Also, did Mega Beedrill make Beedrill relevant? I might need to grab OR/AS just for that...
M-Beedrill is amazing under the correct circumstances, which is how every single Pokemon works. Except M-Rayquaza.

It's super duper fast and does super duper damage. It just dies pretty easily (not that easily though, bug poison is pretty good typing defensively). It's big weakness is that its STAB attacks are pretty poor offensively. But it can easily sweep unprepared teams after a single Swords Dance. Also it can easily get destroyed before it can even do anything as it has to Mega Evolve first.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: July 20, 2016, 01:36:40 pm »

M-Beedrill is amazing under the correct circumstances, which is how every single Pokemon works. Except M-Rayquaza.
That's how M-Rayquaza works too, it's simply that the circumstances are always correct :v

E: oh god

I just realized

The gen seven games are going to be "Pokémon S&M"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:13:24 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: July 20, 2016, 02:21:54 pm »

So I had my first run in with other pokemon go players today and I can kinda get how some people have negative opinions towards the players...

I was driving down the old highway into town. The posted speed limit is 100 kph. Anyway, at some point I see a couple of kids biking on the highway with no helmets on. They were completely oblivious to the world around them with their faces glued to their cellphones. I had plenty of time to slow down, and I figured they had plenty of time to get off the road. But they didn't get off the road. Instead they stopped in the middle of a fucking highway, one blocking traffic in one lane, and the other blocking another lane. I honked at them and they waddled off the road, faces still glued to their phones. wtf.

Since I was in town I thought I'd try out the game again since I can't really play it around home. That's when I discovered my severe social anxiety makes it near impossible for me to play when other people are looking :P

So I hid in the parking lot catching pokemon in my car. I drove around to do my other errands but sadly none of the parking lots I stopped in had pokestops. I guess if I want to play I'm going to have to work on not giving a shit about what other people think! I go into town about once a week. Maybe I'll hit up a pokestop next time...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: July 20, 2016, 03:16:01 pm »

In Gen 7 related news, there's theories going around that the starters are shaped after alchemical symbols.

If that's true, I think that maybe the one of the translators is into anime.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: July 20, 2016, 03:44:25 pm »

Interesting about the alchemical symbols.   If I recall correctly those are also some major elements or something like that right?

Yea a quick refresher on wikipedia tells me that sulfur, mercury, and salt are also the three primes, so it fits a bit too well to be coincidence.  I wonder if that means the owl will become some kind of ground/grass type, instead of the obvious flying/grass.  And maybe the ugly water thing will become the Sceptile of water types.   

.....wait greninja is already the sceptile of water types.     Who knows then.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:46:41 pm by Greiger »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: July 20, 2016, 04:59:12 pm »

That's how M-Rayquaza works too, it's simply that the circumstances are always correct :v

I just realized

Could be worse. What if they make two more Gen VII games titled "Bright" and "Dark"?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: July 20, 2016, 05:15:52 pm »

I just realized

And now you must answer the question: Are you an S or an M?  ;)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: July 20, 2016, 06:40:30 pm »

Of the original 150 I still see Charizard, Venusaur, Clefable, Chansey, Slowbro, Cloyster, Gengar, Gyarados, Starmie, and Dragonite frequently in OU.  Several of those are megas and the non-mega versions are mostly nonexistent, aside from maybe Slowbro.

Beedrill, Machamp, Nidoking/queen, Mew, Ditto, Pinsir, Ninetales, and Alakazam I see on occasion, usually with specific weird buidls like No Guard Machamp for confuse hax. I have a pretty successful mega-beedrill team.

Mewtwo, Mega Gengar, Mega Kangaskhan, maybe a couple other megas, are banned.  Most of the rest are nonexistent, languishing in the lowest usage bracket.  Moltres is Uncle Rico, fucking around in RU and talking about how he could've taken his team to OU if the coach had put him in instead of Volcarona.

A couple low levels are popular in little cup, like Bellsprout.

------------

It's a little sad that so few of the old timers are useful but I"ve played RBY and it's total ass.  The tiny number of pokemon means even fewer viable ones, to the point that entire types (Fighting, Ghost, Bug, etc.) are completely absent in OU, which distorts the meta and makes more pokemon overpowered or useless.  Normal is the best type because there are no fighting attacks in RBY OU.  Type determines attack form, so all fighting attacks are physical, all fire special, etc. plus Special Attack/Defense are in one Special Stat.  Mewtwo is almost unkillable because the only things he's weak to are special and his special is gigantic. Paralyze everywhere, almost everything viable has body slam or thunder wave and the pool of useful moves in RBY is so shallow.

Genwun was a dumpster fire as far as non-casual battling goes.  Tauros, Chansey, Exeggcute, Rhydon, Snorlax, maybe throw in a Zapdos if you're feeling adventurous. 
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: July 20, 2016, 06:54:35 pm »

Just because you don't see my bro Slowking in the tier list doesn't mean he's not useful. Rather you see that list shuffling all the time as things get moved about. Not to mention then you get to the "tournaments" and shit like fucking Pachirisu shows up.

Hell, my own OU teams are almost all UU and PU tier Pokemon and I frigging own. I've also gotten owned by lots of weirdass builds. In fact, if someone sends a boring normal Smogon Select pick at me, it's easier for me than when a frigging Seaking or Dedenne show up. At least I know what the former is going to do whereas the latter is a bloody wildcard.

And I think we all know than in Pokemon, you win when you get outplayed or luck fucks you. Difficult to outplay if everyone knows what you're going to do.

So I think all the old gen 1 guys with those three exceptions are still useful. I've gotten completely smashed by a Vileplume before believe it or not. I didn't even think it was possible but Effect Spore is a massive bitch. And don't get me started on surprise sweepers like Fearow, Dodrio or Raticate. Goddamn I hate Choice Band Fearow / Dodrio.
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 463