Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 94524 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Workshop - Now supporting pay-for mods
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2015, 01:46:27 am »

It's a mod that many other mods have dependencies on. This is now a choice between not updating to the latest version or some weird copyright shit. Worst case, like I said.

Also, Midas Magic's free version now has a 4% chance per using a master spell to have a pop-up dialogue that asks you to buy the mod.

Also, here's an article from Paul Tassi:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/04/24/valves-paid-skyrim-mods-are-a-legal-ethical-and-creative-disaster/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 01:50:58 am by Putnam »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2015, 02:32:06 am »

Aand it's hidden.

Oh boy.

Wrong file.
Where's the source? Didn't see mention of it in the mod page/comments, and misinformation does seem to be floating around.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:36:19 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2015, 03:12:14 am »

As I said before, the gates to hell hath been opened. The question now is whether or not the infection can be contained.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 25, 2015, 03:21:49 am »

Yep, it looks like all of the paid mods people can find are being put up on the pirate bay, and there are now subreddits dedicated to finding and torrenting them. At least two domain names have been purchased for distribution as well.

The fuck did they think was going to happen?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 25, 2015, 03:24:09 am »

As I said in the Progressive Discussion thread. The most irritating thing about money grubbing companies like this is that they don't even know how to do it properly. As far as I can tell, these guys never have the slightest sense of foresight.
The circle is complete.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2015, 03:37:04 am »

Well, message sent. Hopefully the people at SkyUI who are intending to put it up for sale follow through, so they can be the ones issued a DMCA. Or perhaps start a costly legal battle. Who knows?
Good work.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2015, 03:43:59 am »

And this is what a community getting torn up looks like.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 25, 2015, 03:52:54 am »

Valve apparently looked at the wonderful Minecraft modding community, full of people trying to make money and dumb copyright drama, and thought, "yes, that's what we want mods to be like".
That's the impression I'm getting, anyway.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 25, 2015, 04:01:46 am »

I remember reading someone making a rather apt comparison to the Sims 2 and 3 modding scenes. Paid for mods have been common for a while there and I have read the occasional accusations being flung around. It's been a while since I've looked at it though so a more recent check would be advisable.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 25, 2015, 07:21:07 am »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:42:38 pm by penguinofhonor »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 25, 2015, 07:41:48 am »

Y'know, normally I'm the one advocating peace and understanding, but in this case... I just wanna watch the world catch fire.
The circle is complete.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 25, 2015, 07:55:10 am »

It's their fault. They didn't read their own licensing, thought they could make a quick buck, and didn't realize that there's no such thing as a quick buck in this world. Welcome to the world of commercial software.

And I'm gonna help them go down as hard and fast as possible because I'm part of a self-righteous internet mob and love to watch shit burn because Valve made me!
Normally I'm with UXLZ on stuff like this, but this clusterfuck in particular is already extremely harmful to the modding community. Stopping this in its tracks as quickly and effectively as possible is in the community's best interest. Yes, there are many modders out there who deserve compensation for their work, but Valve's way is not the right way.

What would be the right way, in my opinion, would to have a box for donations on the mod's page. Mods would be free, as they should be, but it would be very easy to give the mod author any amount of money at any time if you felt like they deserved it.

That would be quite uncontroversial, even if Valve took 10% off the top, and would give modders more compensation for their work.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 25, 2015, 07:59:31 am »

Stopping this in its tracks as quickly and effectively as possible is in the community's best interest.

Agreed. Burn, baby, burn.
The circle is complete.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 25, 2015, 08:10:13 am »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:42:42 pm by penguinofhonor »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 25, 2015, 08:14:22 am »

Because internet mobs are so effective. No, this one is different from all the other ones!

If you're mad at Valve, email Valve. Hurting modders is the worst way to go about this, and will hurt the community whether Valve's thing sticks around or doesn't. But I'm sure everyone will feel really vindicated when modders are more hostile and paranoid, even if they helped make that happen. Hope it's worth it.
I believe that it's been established that Valve doesn't give a fuck about anything but their bottom line at this point. Also, modders became more hostile and paranoid the moment Valve made it possible for people to steal their work, pass it off as their own, make money off it, and get away with it. That bridge has already burned.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 71