Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 61

Author Topic: Pantheon Play Thread: In the beginning there was...  (Read 83900 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon Play Thread: In the beginning there was...
« Reply #495 on: March 08, 2013, 02:32:42 am »

The Chaos- As Lo had taken to call the great ravaging- had taken its toll on Despair; the apparent name of this world these days. Her Song had done little in the great scheme of things; the Shattered-all 900 of them- had settled into dwarven fishing villages, finding their place in the world by taking up deep fishing. Unfortunatelyl, or fortunately, the Wrathful One had taken the dwarves to his halls. Well, at least we have these villages to ourselves now…

Still, that left the Shattered. Shattered. Such a horrible name. Why ought they be called Shattered? Their minds are as complete as any other. No, another name would need to be fabricated. She had already gotten her worshipers to call themselves the Choir, although such a name would not do for a race…The Fixed? The Shapeless? The Ethereals? No, something more original. Yes, a new name completely. Something with meaning. What was that word? New? Change? Slow? Mix some words fool. Fine. Sctunolcl. Yes, perfect. A little rough for the local dialect, but such a thing didn't matter for the Shattered anyway.

Making a whole race accept a new name would be difficult…A plan for another time then, Ushtam…Agreed.

But why was she worrying about this? She had a whole world to improve, and this world needed a great deal of it. The Overgod would not be pleased when he awoke. Overgod. Has Servants.

The Overgod had appointed the Dwarf-King and God Of Wrath, Udil, as Divine Jailor. A mistake of grand proportions. Still, unlike many gods, he had deigned to stay on the world. A visit to him might have to be scheduled. This world needs to be restored, at any cost.

The god Feros had stayed on Despair as well. He had his reasons; his forest and worshipers had been relatively unharmed by the Chaos. Unlike this Udil, he could be trusted to a degree. Better yet, he would every reason to see this world restored to its former state; he was the king of the Wilds after all.

Lo also recalled a certain god of lust, Vanida...although she had no known lair. She was a wanderer. Even so, finding her would of use; she still cared for this world.

Even while Lo schemed to repair the world, she still knew that in high above the skies creatures of the Void were flooding into the universe, Elder-beings devoured and slaughtered and many divine beings had taken refuge on the Scholar's Moon. No matter what she did here, there was always a chance of it all being undone by anything up above. Repairing that Rift would a step in preventing this. She was loathe to close the Rift; it offered a way out if worse-came-to-worse. Still, she could not abide by the void creatures that had emerged, especially the Devourer itself. She would speak to the Elder-gods soon; it would need to be soon.

She looked up to the to the sky and wondered. Only a fate-touched mortal could pierce the abyssal hide of Un'girian. She knew of only two such creatures. A seaspawn-lord and a dwarven-deserter. Both were prime candidates for heroic deeds…although she had little strength to give them power. Conundrums…

Enough thinking; we must act. Agreed.

The Hunter in her divine wisdom, sent her simulacrums to meet with Despair-bound deities...

In the Halls of the Mountain-King (Udil-Volondor)

The form of the goddess carefully journeyed down the caverns of the Wrathful Artist, hiding from the sight of mortals; she was here to speak with the divine, not with lesser creatures. She carefully made her way to this "Udilsbor"-narcissistic bastard ain't he?-and found her way up to the residence of the dwarf-king himself. She made herself known, sending a miniscule blast of divine energy through the structure.

"Lord of Wrath and Lord of Art? I seek an audience. It be Lo. I wish to...speak on an important issue." The simulacrum waited for a reply.

In the Forests of the Wild-God (Feros)

The simulacrum had not found it difficult to journey to the North; it was but a continent and Feros was its lord. She would not need to find any town or shrine; the wilds were the abode of Feros. She sent forth a signal of divine energy, hoping to lure Feros to her.

"Lord of the Wilds? It is Lo that calls for you. I seek to speak and discuss."

In the Skies above the World (Vanida)

The simulacrum found no lair and no keep that which this Vanida had adopted. Failing to find her, it sent out a burst of energy around the whole world.

"Lady of Lust? Lo asks to speak with you. I seek assistance in a mutual advantage."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:29:48 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 08, 2013, 02:34:51 am »

Corvus, while waiting for Kar'Lan to respond, watched Lo make contact with Udil-Volondor.

"I swear, Udil attracts gods like moths to a flame. They end up similarly too."

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 08, 2013, 04:38:44 am »

Aur-Sha turned to the giants, thy were confused, lost, she was too, but she was less lost now. She had a friend now, she was safe, now she could show her strength, she would burn a legacy that none would forget, and she would start with these giants.

-------------------------------------------

Aur-Sha approached the giants showing her full size, she was not a god, no, but she was great, she slithered through the throng of giants, and they followed her, at a distance, but still followed. Finally she came to her destination, just beneath the large mountain she had first seen, so she addressed the Giants. "Welcome, my siblings, we are the last remnant of the great serpent Az-Sho, who was felled by treachery. But fear not for we have a friend, he brought us here, to live in this safe haven. I know your confused, believe me I am too, but it is our duty to create a legacy for our father, a legacy that none will ever forget, one that would make our father proud." She gazed proudly at the giants, ”The god Corvus has offered us this planet to live on, the local inhabitants are willing to let us live with them, let us do so peacefully, help them in their civilization. If you wish, later I can make a city, one for you to live in, but for that I will require power, power which you can provide me through worship. Understand that I do not require worship, but it would allow me to better protect you.”

Then, as the giants slowly dispersed, she headed elsewhere, finding a small hill overlooking a large ocean, and she looked out for some time. Eventually she saw her reflection, and she was disgusted, molten rock and magma oozed around, she wouldn’t have it, she was the daughter of a god, she would not be ugly. So she concentrated hard, and soon felt her body begin to change, fiery metal scales, tiny individually, sprouted from her head in massive numbers, then they spread down her body, soon encompassing her entirely. Afterwards she looked at her reflection again, ”Much better.” She was covered head to tail in red metallic scales, in proportion to her body they were about the same size as the scales of a simple snake, and from a distance they would indeed look like that were it not for the metallic shine and multitude of fires dancing over her scales. At a closer look they were about the size of a regular man’s torso, and if one looked in between the scales when they parted for movement they would see raw molten lava, which even without those larger gaps gave a soft glow in the scale joints. Her eyes maintained the fire, but she liked that, now she had power and beauty. And the scales had a practical use too, they would provide her with a great deal of protection if she were in battle, and she could even see another use for them later, when she was more powerful.

Aur-Sha encourages the Giants to join the crowborn society, and she encourages them to worship her with the promise of their own city to live in
Aur-Sha coats herself in burning, metallic scales, both for protection and looks (1 firebound act)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:30:56 pm by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 08, 2013, 04:44:20 am »

"Shhhhh" Vanida hissed angrily hearing the call. She was about to satiate her need (all that mating with desperate humans was as bland as it can be)  and that distraction was way badly timed" Can we ignore her silly projections for now, my lover? Goddess of lust kissed Volondor in his lips with all her skills "Should you decide to kill her, we should do that later. Together. As a couple. As we need power to save mortals we care about.  But for now let's seal our alliance. Lead me to your bedroom, The King"
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 08, 2013, 08:16:33 am »

The kiss brought Volondor's defenses low. The artist inside stirred, yearned for more. He was all but willing to say yes and give in, to ignore the other...
The wrathful side awoken though, abruptly called in to consciousness by the wave of emotions and the call of Lo.

He took a step back from Vanida, recoiled in shock as the battle in his head began anew. After a brief time, Udil-Volondor calmed down, the golden hue of artist subdued by the glowing wrath.

"You make a compelling argument, Vanida... and I want to... argh..  WE must hear out the other one first"

SPEAK, LO, now that you have interrupted our meeting with Vanida. Let us not waste any time"

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 08, 2013, 10:56:03 am »

"Kar'Lan, how may you prove that you aren't a traitor? There are few I trust fully."

"Whenever I am judging the souls of the dead, I look into their memories.  Through these memories, I have learned of what has transpired within the universe before I have arrived.  I have seen the misunderstandings of Neyravah and the failure of the prior Overgods.  I have an understanding of other dieties that rival their own knowledge of themselves.  I can attempt to mend the misunderstanding between you and Vandia.  Would that be enough?"
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 08, 2013, 11:01:51 am »

"I would not wish to fix the misunderstanding, for she is a capricious goddess going onto a dark path. Even I would be brought down with her.

Nevertheless, I have judged your words, and I deem them wise. As such, the Crow is open to an alliance."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 08, 2013, 11:09:47 am »

"Do you know of any others that would join?  I can sense her presence near at least one diety, and another point has just had a burst of energy.  I do not know what this might mean, but any enemy is likely to create a rival pantheon, and in order to survive, we would need to enact a strategy of deterance to prevent open conflict."
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 08, 2013, 11:14:46 am »

"You would do well to visit Feros, God of the Wild. Lo, God of Improvement, would also be a good deity to call. Both are interested in saving the world, although Lo must be dissuaded from allying with Udil. Udil is a threat, but if we could separate Volondor from him...as Volondor is truly interested in saving mortals, but Udil merely wants a cosmic empire hailing him alone.

I will provide a safe haven, should the pantheon require a place to keep mortals and Ascendants likely to be attacked."

Corvus seemed distracted.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:18:36 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 08, 2013, 11:21:41 am »

"The Ancient who was here could also make a good canidate, but you should initiate contact.  I will go to Feros, then Lo.  Farewell for now."

Kar'lan fades out from his current location, and fades in outside the forests of Feros, and waited for the diety to come.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 08, 2013, 11:25:33 am »

A last message reaches Kar'Lan.

"Aur-Sha is but a child. She must first mature, lest she takes rash decisions and attacks Udil before her time. I do not wish Volondor to die too, nor do I wish Aur-Sha to."

After this, Corvus returned to doing two things; keeping an eye on the conversation between Udil and others, and watching for the Elusive One, the Silver Haired One, the One who evaded the Crow.

He could not figure out how she was hiding from him, but it attracted the thirst of Knowledge.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:27:06 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 08, 2013, 12:22:47 pm »

In the Forests of the Wild-God (Feros)

The simulacrum had not found it difficult to journey to the North; it was but a continent and Feros was its lord. She would not need to find any town or shrine; the wilds were the abode of Feros. She sent forth a signal of divine energy, hoping to lure Feros to her.

"Lord of the Wilds? It is Lo that calls for you. I seek to speak and discuss."
'Lo? I have not heard this name before, but I have felt your presence. Who are you, and what do you wish in my realm?'

"You want my help?" he shouted, and he shouted it not just at the one who spoke but to all gods as a prayer.  "Fix what you have broken!  You offer to heal one sick dwarf, as if that will make amends for your negligence, for your cruelties!" Gren burst into laughter, curdled by the blood and spittle in his throat.  "Heal this sick world, you bastards!  Heal it, and save it, or I pray to whatever creature you fear so that it devours the lot of you.  You'd deserve nothing less."
'MY cruelty? MY negligence? I saw this coming. I offered you the chance to avert it. And you denied me. Instead I went to my people, those who had given me their loyalty. I made them stronger, I warned them of the storm to come, and they live because of it. I am trying to fix this world, but I would not see it destroyed again. I will waste no more time here, and I will not trouble you again if you cannot see this.'
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:27:27 pm by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 08, 2013, 12:46:00 pm »

Traurig mentally calls out to Nelkathar but surprisingly there is no response.  This did not bode well but Traurig could not in good conscience let another friend die without at least investigating the cause.

Use my new life powers to provide plentiful food for my followers.
Then set out on a journey to Nelkathar's last known location, the spire.
My followers are free to come with me or to stay behind; the choice is theirs however if they come, their food will be provided for with my new powers.

Edit: On my journey feed any hungry people I find and ask them if they would like to join me.  As I approach the location of Nelkathar's last known whereabouts move very carefully and with as much stealth as possible.  Do not move towards anything that looks potentially dangerous or out of place.  Look out for any clues that might give information about the death of my ally.  If anything goes wrong, run as fast as possible into the water along with my followers.

Edit 2:
After hearing of a fellow ascendant named Gren Gransson from a god, Traurig decides part way through his journey to change his route and go seek this fellow ascendant out.. Go back to my original plan after hearing that he spreads disease.  Don't want to catch something and die, so meeting him will have to wait.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:25:51 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 08, 2013, 01:52:43 pm »

Feros saw the last fangdrake fall. And he saw not only a loss, but an opportunity. He spoke to it's slayer, Gren Garnsson.
'And as the old way falls, a new will rise, and the strong prevail. Such is the way of the willds. Now I ask you, do you forsake them or embrace them? Do you relish the hunt and the change, or do you long for stasis and perpetuality? If it is the latter, i can do no more for you. If the former however....... I would speak with you.....'

'MY cruelty? MY negligence? I saw this coming. I offered you the chance to avert it. And you denied me. Instead I went to my people, those who had given me their loyalty. I made them stronger, I warned them of the storm to come, and they live because of it. I am trying to fix this world, but I would not see it destroyed again. I will waste no more time here, and I will not trouble you again if you cannot see this.'

"The chance to avert it?  You might have forgotten after all these years, but I recall your words clear as day.  You offered me a chance to throw myself to the wilds, you threatened me with being crushed by them if I did not heed you.  You freely admit to saving only those who were in your power, and that makes you no better than Udil.  Who are you, wild-spirit, that hold yourself so high?  You never even deigned to speak your own name."

Gren stepped back and looked at the helmet beds.  They were taking shape, but this would have to be the last one.  The handful he had led into these swamps were already growing sick, though whether from his presence or the wildlife he could not tell.  Perhaps now that the basic burrows had been established it would be better to leave them to it.  He had a journey to prepare for.  The tunnels between realms had all been crushed in Az-Sho's fury, but Gren had a vague idea that Eversummer at least was eastward.  Perhaps a boat, as the coastal clans had used?  Arrogant, indolent gods or no, the voice's message had concerned him.  If there really was something out there able to frighten deities, perhaps he should seek it out.  Whether to crush it or join it, Gren didn't know.

Perhaps he would find some real answers along the way.

Gren finishes digging a small community of burrows in the stable hillocks in the swampy Ninth Continent, then packs food and provisions for a long journey.  He takes any dwarves that volunteer to come with him, but does not expect any to follow.  He accepts but does not actively seek out any companions along the way.  He also takes any objects of wealth or value he still has; gemstones, beads, anything he can use to trade for help.  His old steel armour he polishes and repairs and brings with him, along with his seaspawn spear and steel axe.

Gren seeks out any remnants of the coastal dwarf clans on the Ninth and tries to convince them to build him a boat and even help him sail on east to Eversummer.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:17:38 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2013, 01:56:26 pm »

Corvus continued his watch of the Presence.

He wondered briefly. "Where is Sabt Golgo? I doubt she has abandoned her post of the Ring.

If she has, then no pantheon will be able to defend anyone from the onslaught to follow."
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 61