Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Cooperative Art  (Read 8647 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Cooperative Art
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:29:20 pm »

So, there are by now a fair amount of artists here that seem to want practice ore are just generus. I have also noticed forum games like Eat Poop You Cat seem popular, but generaly seem to produce rather mediocre art.
I think this thread might work.

Basicaly, the idea is that somone posts a rought concept skech (this person dosnt even need to be able to draw, see fig 1), then somone else refines that, another one take that and improve it a bit more, someone does the next steps etc. and suddenly we have a finished image.
Evryone along the line should have artistic freedom, and each stage should leave room for the next stage to be done in many different and artistic ways, the one who makes the first concept is not a commissioner, and only decide how the image are composed and where elements are not necessary what they are.
The goal of this thread is to make art that is better than any single participant could have made, and to let people practice on some late steps of the art process like colouring and shading on images of types that they might not have made if they were working alone, thus evolving as artists.

Another intresting aspect is that the works can brance, thus shuwing how completly different images can come out of the same basic composition, how completely different lightning conditions and colours can be aplied to the same skech, etc. So there is no need to state you have "claimed" an image. This shuld also speed the thread up compared to the forum games were people have to wait for one another and there constantly are misunderstandings and slowdowns from people doping out etc.
Spoiler: Example images (click to show/hide)
I'll see if people get the concept I'm indicating, otherwise I'll add more detailed instructions tomorrow.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cooperative Art
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:47:34 pm »

I wholeheartedly support this with a five minute sketch that I can't improve upon.

(I suck at coloring, arms, and drawing in general)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 12:59:47 pm »

Give me a few minutes.

Edit: gah. I keep forgetting how shit the programs on this mac are.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:22:44 pm by Akigagak »
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 02:26:34 pm »

If only I had either a scanner or a decent tablet... Or maybe a decent image editing program. Unfortunatly, I have none of those.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 02:51:54 pm »

I foresee a flaw in this plan.  All of the later stages of drawing, the prettying-it-up part, are the hardest and most time consuming stages which only a few people few are going to bother with.

That said, here's a sketch I did a few days ago-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've always wanted to be able to draw stuff, but I've never been all that great at it because my hands don't like to cooperate and it takes too long.  I gave up on Paintshop and such years ago, but for some reason, I've only recently tried drawing in MSPaint.  That there being my fourth attempt, I think I'm on to something.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 03:11:48 pm »

Damn me and my Meagre Art Skills!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 05:30:26 pm »

I have also noticed forum games like Eat Poop You Cat seem popular, but generaly seem to produce rather mediocre art.

WHO ARE YOU, SIR, TO DECIDE WHAT IS OR ISN'T FINE ART?

I foresee a flaw in this plan.  All of the later stages of drawing, the prettying-it-up part, are the hardest and most time consuming stages which only a few people few are going to bother with.

Well, nothing I've drawn lately has warranted a several-hours colouring job, but if some really pretty art pops up here I might have a go. I need the practice. Unrelated : that awesomeface dwarf made me laugh.

I predict eventually someone will trollishly respond to a well drawn piece with MSpaint vomit, claiming theirs to be far superior to the original. I hope that by saying this right away we can skip the part where it actually happens.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 05:44:40 pm »

I have also noticed forum games like Eat Poop You Cat seem popular, but generaly seem to produce rather mediocre art.

WHO ARE YOU, SIR, TO DECIDE WHAT IS OR ISN'T FINE ART?

He's Armok.  Remember that retarded "request" he insisted on posting everywhere?

I'm not worried about people posting MSPaint vomit, barring me, but I'm predicting thousand word requests.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 09:22:24 pm »

MSPaint art is awesome.  You can make so much cool stuff.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 09:26:00 pm »

And whenever anyone says it sucks you can say "I made it in MSpaint!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 09:36:00 pm »

And whenever anyone says it sucks you can say "I made it in MSpaint!"

Yeah!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 11:57:40 pm »

That said, here's a sketch I did a few days ago-

I've always wanted to be able to draw stuff, but I've never been all that great at it because my hands don't like to cooperate and it takes too long.  I gave up on Paintshop and such years ago, but for some reason, I've only recently tried drawing in MSPaint.  That there being my fourth attempt, I think I'm on to something.

Awesome dwarf is awesome.

ten to one the rageface will appear soon in this thread.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 12:11:14 am »

I would be interested in mainly the first 2-3 stages. Mainly because I'll fuck up the last ones :|

I like this ms paint art:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:16:23 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 08:23:43 am »

I wholeheartedly support this with a five minute sketch that I can't improve upon.

(I suck at coloring, arms, and drawing in general)

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 08:30:28 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6