Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 698301 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

It sounds like an interesting game. I've only got one thing running right now, and it's still in the kicking off phase, so I might be able to help.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Unfortunately I'm going to be temporarily gone from the forums soon, but I'll PM you once my internet is available for a definite timespan. I think this might actually work...
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

I'm a bit sad this feature didn't see much of use in Apocalypse How, so I'll throw this bone here. Granted I didn't even mention it before very close to the end so it is my fault really.

Game mechanism: Roll to spend money.
Player starts with pool of cash. Every roll costs money, exact amount left to GM's discretion. If player decides to invest more money than necessary on the task, he will get bonus on rolls depending of how much extra he threw in. Like this:

+1 up to 2 (meaning if you roll 1 you get the bonus saving you from certain doom, but if you roll 2 you don't get the bonus)
+1 up to 3
+1 up to 4
+1 regardless of roll.
+1 up to 5
+1/0/-1 towards 5. The so called "dynamic bonus".
+2 up to 3
... and so on.

How much money is required for different levels of bonuses varies depending on what player is trying to do. Spend $1000 to buy a car and you just might get a roll in first place. Spend billion dollars and you are guaranteed to get number of sexy red luxury cars.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile

I'm planning for two RTDs, the one is named Great Worlds and the another is the revival of(long dead)Wacky Death Race. As for now, I'm only talking about Great Worlds.
Spoiler: Great Worlds (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

I have a concept for a strategy RTD game between 2 players. The premise is a medieval siege with one person being in charge of the Attackers, and one being the defenders. Each player will have to manage building material-to build siege engines and repair walls etc. food (the attacker will have alot more than the defender) And troops. (The attacker will have to deal with deserters if morale gets low while the defender not as much.

I don't know exactly how to make it work, but I think it is a cool concept. If anybody wants to use it, go ahead.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, my previous ideas still stand, I've been just mulling things over on how I would execute them.  (The Final Boss RTD, and the Law of Ueki RTD, plus another I didn't mention)

But I've also been thinking about interesting game systems.  Like for example Perplexicon.  A very interesting magic system that inspires creativity and lulz.

So I have an idea in my head for my own magic system.  I can't explain how it works because that would ruin the fun!  Much of the RTD would be the players trying to figure out how the system works, as they work together or against each other towards whatever goal I feel like setting up for them.  They would get no information of the magic system to start, other than their characters know about their newfound power, and want to experiment to get the best results.  I'm not sure if I should give players direct feedback for the spells "You shoot a devastating fireball (Power=9)/You shoot a burst of flame that evaporates in a puff of smoke (Power=0)" or if I should just leave off the numerical result and just give the descriptions.  It would certainly make it harder to figure out if you didn't have the numbers.  Or in the other direction, I could give MORE detail. "You shoot a fireball (Power=3+1+2-1)"  So they can guess at the modifiers.

What are anyone's thoughts on such a game?  Would it be too boring?  Too frustrating?  How would it be if the players manage to solve the system, at least for the most part?  Would that ruin the game?  There would still be the main goal to work towards, plot, etc.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

I have a concept for a strategy RTD game between 2 players. The premise is a medieval siege with one person being in charge of the Attackers, and one being the defenders. Each player will have to manage building material-to build siege engines and repair walls etc. food (the attacker will have alot more than the defender) And troops. (The attacker will have to deal with deserters if morale gets low while the defender not as much.

I don't know exactly how to make it work, but I think it is a cool concept. If anybody wants to use it, go ahead.
I'd play it if someone else ran it.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Still hoping for some opinions on my previous post.

Also, I came up with a stat system.

Primary Stats
STR-Physical Strength
DEX-Physical Dexterity
INT-Book Smarts
WIL-Mental Fortitude/Anti Mindfuckery/Dealing with stress
SAV-Savvy/Intuition/Figuring things out
MAG-Aptitude in magic.  (Optional, but in the game I was thinking of it would be needed.  The exact effects are up for discussion, but generally it would mean more/stronger spells, but not so much that it is a required max stat)

Hybrid Stats(Derived from primary stats)
END(Endurance)-STR+WIL-Ability to push on through physical pain or injury.
ANT(Anticipation)-DEX+INT-Accuracy and other predicting the enemy.
FLX(Flexibility)-DEX+WIL-Dodging and other mental/physical shenanagins.
FCE(Force)-STR+INT-Affects charisma, better application of strength(Physical or otherwise), and damage dealt.

This is designed so someone minmaxing for any two stats won't have any sort of crazy advantage.  And it lets characters be strong physically, mentally, or even a split, and they would still have decent abilities to fight.  A meathead (Pure STR), would hit hard(FCE) and be tough(END), but wouldn't be accurate(ANT) or dodge well(FLX).  A bookworm(Pure INT) would be accurate AND hit hard (Because he knows where to hit), but would have a hard time dodging, and would crumple like tissue paper once he does get hit.

I haven't put numerical bonuses to it, because they could be whatever you wanted to tune the system and what dice system you wanted to use.  But for a regular D6 system, I'd probably want just 1 or 2 scattered +1's and 1 or 2 -1's, at least to start.

Also, what do people think about a Savvy or Intuition stat.  Should there be one?  I mean, sometimes you might want to roll to see if someone feels that something is wrong, and it's a trap.  But other times it might just be a waste of points for the player, or the rolls could have gone under INT, for example.  I'm not sure what to do.

Anyway, all in all, I think it came out really elegant!  I like it!  Opinions plox!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Still hoping for some opinions on my previous post.

Primary Stats
STR-Physical Strength
DEX-Physical Dexterity
INT-Book Smarts
MAG-Aptitude in magic.  (Optional, but in the game I was thinking of it would be needed.  The exact effects are up for discussion, but generally it would mean more/stronger spells, but not so much that it is a required max stat)

FCE(Force)-STR+INT-Affects charisma, better application of strength(Physical or otherwise), and damage dealt.

This is designed so someone minmaxing for any two stats won't have any sort of crazy advantage.  And it lets characters be strong physically, mentally, or even a split, and they would still have decent abilities to fight.  A meathead (Pure STR), would hit hard(FCE) and be tough(END), but wouldn't be accurate(ANT) or dodge well(FLX).  A bookworm(Pure INT) would be accurate AND hit hard (Because he knows where to hit), but would have a hard time dodging, and would crumple like tissue paper once he does get hit.

I haven't put numerical bonuses to it, because they could be whatever you wanted to tune the system and what dice system you wanted to use.  But for a regular D6 system, I'd probably want just 1 or 2 scattered +1's and 1 or 2 -1's, at least to start.

Also, what do people think about a Savvy or Intuition stat.  Should there be one?  I mean, sometimes you might want to roll to see if someone feels that something is wrong, and it's a trap.  But other times it might just be a waste of points for the player, or the rolls could have gone under INT, for example.  I'm not sure what to do.

Anyway, all in all, I think it came out really elegant!  I like it!  Opinions plox!
I recommend removing SAV. It isn't factored into the secondary stats and is replicated by the players themselves.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile

Spoiler: clutter (click to show/hide)
INTelligence increases CRITical DaMaGe, not CRITical CHAnce. (CRIT chance: ANT)
MAGic is POTential. COnTrol is required.
SAVviness is a part of INTelligence, not PeRcepTion. (However through, Perception(Intuition) is needed to anticipate Stealth, so i recommend just renaming it)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:39:23 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're probably right.  I just wanted a stat that players could opt into if they were bad at that sort of thing.  Or to notice things that there really weren't any hints for.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

So, my previous ideas still stand, I've been just mulling things over on how I would execute them.  (The Final Boss RTD, and the Law of Ueki RTD, plus another I didn't mention)

But I've also been thinking about interesting game systems.  Like for example Perplexicon.  A very interesting magic system that inspires creativity and lulz.

So I have an idea in my head for my own magic system.  I can't explain how it works because that would ruin the fun!  Much of the RTD would be the players trying to figure out how the system works, as they work together or against each other towards whatever goal I feel like setting up for them.  They would get no information of the magic system to start, other than their characters know about their newfound power, and want to experiment to get the best results.  I'm not sure if I should give players direct feedback for the spells "You shoot a devastating fireball (Power=9)/You shoot a burst of flame that evaporates in a puff of smoke (Power=0)" or if I should just leave off the numerical result and just give the descriptions.  It would certainly make it harder to figure out if you didn't have the numbers.  Or in the other direction, I could give MORE detail. "You shoot a fireball (Power=3+1+2-1)"  So they can guess at the modifiers.

What are anyone's thoughts on such a game?  Would it be too boring?  Too frustrating?  How would it be if the players manage to solve the system, at least for the most part?  Would that ruin the game?  There would still be the main goal to work towards, plot, etc.

Four Perplexicon games currently in progress and three people planning to run one. Piecewise's control is spreading!

Give players simply result of roll and description of what happened if anything happened at all. Those are needed for !!SCIENCE!!. Include roll details if it is relevant to magic system and players can actually influence them in a reliable and researchable way.

With current amount of details provided here it is hard to tell if it will be boring or frustrating. Frustration oftem comes from rolling 1 and 2 in many turns, also when player is not getting what he's doing wrong, in which case it might be good idea to give a hint.

And when players have figured the system out: Can that even happen? Is it simple enough for players to solve all important aspects of the system before the game goal is reached? If yes, then be prepared to extend the system or let player's run wild with their power.

Primary Stats
STR-Physical Strength
DEX-Physical Dexterity
INT-Book Smarts

ANTicipation should be DEX+SAV. Makes more sense that way. Or drop the whole stat, because Savvines kinda handles the concept alone well enough. And what ATHATH said.
FLX also feels kinda unnecessary, you could drop it and handle physical/mental defense with DEX and WIL alone. Your dexterity shouldn't have any effect on your mental strength. Likewise mental strength shouldn't affect your physical ability to dodge things.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, the spell system itself probably won't have any rolls, at least the way I have it imagined.  Like, if you wanted a fireball, it's properties and strength depend on how you created/cast the spell, but aiming it would be normal attack rolls.  Yes players can influence and research the magic system in a reliable way.  I'm just debating how to do it in a way that is complex enough, but not too much.

I know what you are saying about Anticipation and Savvy and stuff, but I don't want to make Dexterity too powerful.  I dislike systems that let Dex be both accuracy and dodge.  I set this up so that each physical and mental stat are paired up to make the derived stats, so they serve a dual purpose.  I know it's a bit weird that Flexibility affects mental stuff, but it's really not going to be used much.  It's more for Dodge, and the ability to be creative, perhaps?  Mental flexibility.  Antimindfuckery is purely Will rolls.

After this discussion, I will probably drop Savvy.  I really would like to have it, but it just seems like a bad idea.  I'll probably just roll intuition as an unmodified roll.  Sort of just a "luck" roll.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

Its hard to debate if you cannot tell details about the system...  :P
Old sigs.
Games.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its hard to debate if you cannot tell details about the system...  :P
That's fine, that's something for me to decide.  I was just curious to hear opinions on it in general, and on the stats.  I appreciate your input.  I just need to think on it a bit and maybe I'll start up an RTD.  I can't decide which idea I want to use out of the three.
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 661