Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 248265 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1381 on: March 29, 2018, 09:11:33 pm »

In 1979, parts of the US Skylab crashed down in Australia, after an uncontrolled re-entry.
NASA was fined by the Australian authorities for illagaly dumping waste. NASA has never paid the 400 dollar fine.
It's hilarious that someone actually took the time to write out and submit the paperwork for that.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: March 29, 2018, 09:44:27 pm »

Hey, kangaroos like being hit by obscure space debris as much as anyone else. Which means they don't think about it as much as illegal dumping, evidently.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 01, 2018, 06:58:34 am »

Theres a reason why NASA developed such a safety conscious culture.

Yes there is. His name is Gene Kranz.
We tend to forget how NASA changed after Jan.27 1967, or rather what it was like before, but there were a lot of ways they could have responded. Due credit needs to be given to the people who instituted that cultural shift before we act like it was at all inevitable.
*cough*anybodyrememberwatchingchallengerblowup?*cough*

Sorry, had a somewhat traumatic childhood memory stuck in my throat (from "I'm six, think I wanna work on rockets" to "I'm six and wondering if people can just like study math and physics" in... well, the time it takes a shuttle to unexpectedly disassemble itself mid-flight on tv) but yeah, I'd be much happier with NASA throwing their entire launch development/maintenance/etc portion of the budget at shit like the Webb and just let Musk hurl it into space.

As for the facebook and data discussion?

Nobody brought up how the individually curated and focused version of the internet people get through shit like facebook is presented as though everyone is seeing the same sites as any other user, you know, like the whole amazing thing the internet did was giving anybody the ability to take whatever they're looking at on their computer and share it with anybody who has the address.

When YOUR version of a page is totally different from MY version of a page, that's usually called a bug, isn't it?

The default assumption being--outside of assholes like me forcing a personal color scheme/font/disabling damn near everything via ublock //and// umatrix which is way overkill but fuck vanilla internet in the ass--if user A sends user B a link to page A, user B sees page A, not page A.customUserBcontentPlusAds.v.3.789003 or some shit.

Knowingly doing this to your users while letting them continue thinking they're seeing the same site everyone else does is... uh... misleading... dishonest... creepy... just wrong feeling in general, isn't it?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: April 01, 2018, 10:19:45 am »

Sometimes wreckage hits land: In 1979, parts of the US Skylab crashed down in Australia, after an uncontrolled re-entry.
NASA was fined by the Australian authorities for illagaly dumping waste. NASA has never paid the 400 dollar fine.

Lol....

We tend to forget how NASA changed after Jan.27 1967, or rather what it was like before, but there were a lot of ways they could have responded. Due credit needs to be given to the people who instituted that cultural shift before we act like it was at all inevitable.

I was 2 1/2 at the time, so, no, I don't remember it. Seen videos of it later though, obviously.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:24:25 am by smjjames »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 01, 2018, 12:17:00 pm »

Sorry, had a somewhat traumatic childhood memory stuck in my throat (from "I'm six, think I wanna work on rockets" to "I'm six and wondering if people can just like study math and physics" in... well, the time it takes a shuttle to unexpectedly disassemble itself mid-flight on tv) but yeah, I'd be much happier with NASA throwing their entire launch development/maintenance/etc portion of the budget at shit like the Webb and just let Musk hurl it into space.

It is worth bearing two things in mind about Challenger and Columbia:
1. The design of the STS was badly mangled by Congress, with conditions imposed that had more to do with which districts would see more jobs than the resultant spacecraft's suitability for its intended purpose.
2. The two failed missions were a lot more visible to the outside than the 133 occasions on which, to put it more simply than it deserves, it fulfilled its most basic function.

Also, the STS has a better record than the Falcon family at the moment. 98.4% success vs 96.2%.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 01, 2018, 05:41:55 pm »

Oh, I know all about the fuckupfest involved in "hey, know what we need, a spacecraft designed by committee!" particularly when that involves congresscritters. I've also kept track of if not watched most of those launches.

Developing a new reusable rocket and being at 50/52 is pretty good either way, let's see another 80 and check if it is close to the shuttle record?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 02, 2018, 03:41:39 am »

The heavenly palace has exploded over the Pacific. Hawaii has been destroyed. It looks like it mostly burned up in the atmosphere, no debris hitting ground has been reported.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 02, 2018, 04:53:25 am »

The heavenly palace has exploded over the Pacific. Hawaii has been destroyed. It looks like it mostly burned up in the atmosphere, no debris hitting ground has been reported.
And Sandra Bullock is now stranded in space...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 02, 2018, 04:56:50 am »

AGAIN?!?!?

Fuck, guess we're in for more heavy breathing...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 02, 2018, 05:29:46 am »

If only George Clooney hadn't wasted all that ECS fuel like a douchebag....

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 02, 2018, 06:44:08 am »

Fuck, guess we're in for more heavy breathing...
Massive breathing.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 03, 2018, 12:55:33 am »

Some researchers developed a generation algorithm that can make anything look like anything else to current-gen vision AI. While this has been done before, the breakthrough is that this works in 3D. Previous-gen adversarial generation failed to fool the AIs if the "trick" image was rotated, scaled, blurred etc, but the new technique can fool the AIs from any angle you like.

http://www.labsix.org/physical-objects-that-fool-neural-nets/

The example here is that they 3D printed a turtle, and by giving it the right markings, they can fool the vision AI that it's anything you like. The example tricks the AI to think the 3D turtle is a rifle. Now, it doesn't take a lot of extrapolation to realize that you could also make guns that the AI thinks are something innocent.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:13:36 am by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 03, 2018, 01:04:07 am »

Which is probably a good excuse to let humans decide what is or isn't a rifle for now.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 03, 2018, 05:47:36 am »

I think I've seen the "everything made to look like a toaster" sticker mentioned before, here, and it looks like that (though I didn't follow them when I read it last time) there are links to the same rifle-turtle/baseball-espresso things.

And this is how we manage to battle the machines in the future of Skynet! That and install Dwarf Fortress on the system, to keep the system busy and leave us to destroy ourselves in person.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 158