Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846089 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #690 on: November 13, 2014, 07:38:45 pm »

I'm a bit confused about world activation and how it is internally different from initial world generation. The latest update addressed an issue where attackers would always win whenever attempting to conquer a site in the activated world. As far as I can tell, this was an "intentional" workaround/stub because correctly determining the outcome wasn't implemented, and still isn't fully implemented. This struck me as odd because WG has been able to do this for a long time already.

So I'm wondering what internally is the difference between world generation and the activated world? Why can't they both implement the same ways of simulating things?

I'd speculate that the main difference is that post-worldgen simulation has to take into account the actions of the player. That includes both dealing with things the player has done (which are likely recorded in much more detail than happens in worldgen), and interacting with the player while they're currently playing (which happens in (semi) real-time).

pretty much.. but let's not forget the time speed weirdness. That is: in-game time speed of Fortress mode vs Adventurer mode vs everything else :P

Yeah, I read somewhere that if fort mode was played in adventure mode timescale, you'd have to play the equivalent of a 117 year fort for a year to go by, or was that for 12 years to go by?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 13, 2014, 07:56:08 pm »

I feel Jubilation at the recent confirmation of the Tavern Arc.

Are there plans to change the mechanics of citizen mastication and potation? (i.e. Will dwarves use mugs?)

Yes, mugs were mentioned in the QA section of the latest DF talk.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 13, 2014, 09:50:15 pm »

Lots of fun stuff on the horizon. It's an exciting time for the game, a lot of "low-hanging fruit!" I've been looking forward to starting scenarios since they were first mentioned a couple devpages ago, but taverns are looking increasingly sweet.

crapabear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 13, 2014, 11:02:28 pm »

So once taverns/inns are implemented, we'll be up to two types of special rooms that are designated by placing furniture and then setting a zone (hospitals being the other one). I know you commented about this a bit in the new DF Talk episode, but do you think that now there's a good chance that all rooms and workshops will end up being defined this way? It would be cool to, for instance, set up a kitchen of any size or shape you wanted by carving out the space and placing some tables, tool racks, cauldrons, brick ovens, etc., instead of a fixed 3x3 pre-fab kitchen.

It looks like there's an entry for this floating around on the eternal suggestions page, currently sitting about seven ranks below "feces and urine"

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 14, 2014, 06:27:49 am »

Oh dear, it looks like bugfixing phase ended. :(

Well, I hope that four major points mentioned in dev page will get their own separate releases. Otherwise you can kiss next decade goodbye.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 14, 2014, 08:22:46 am »

Cool cool.  Development moving on is great news, and Fortress Season is open then I guess!  Great to hear the new podcast too, though I was hoping to hear some post-release reactions though I guess that would work much better with Rainseeker and the Captain.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 14, 2014, 12:20:36 pm »

At what point during the development timeline will trading with civilizations in Fortress Mode be finalized so that trade exports affect the demands and exports of those civilizations? To clarify, right now you could trade a civilization hundreds of crafts or food every year and the value of those items do not adjust for the proceeding year. My question  is when will this be adjusted/coded so that it matters what you trade and the amounts due to demands by other sites taking into account what you export.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:24:47 pm by mnjiman »
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 14, 2014, 01:00:43 pm »

Oh dear, it looks like bugfixing phase ended. :(

Well, I hope that four major points mentioned in dev page will get their own separate releases. Otherwise you can kiss next decade goodbye.

Quote from: DF Talk #22
The nice thing about this, I think, having it set up in four separate sections, clearly delineated, is that we at least know, unlike some of the previous releases, that there are going to be pauses, where we can do some bug-fixes, do some small suggestions, in between. We’re going to try our best to do, when necessary, releases while we’re actually working on one section. But at least we’ll have that, that we can have some breaks, that there’s not going to be another two-year release...

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #698 on: November 14, 2014, 03:03:51 pm »

At what point during the development timeline will trading with civilizations in Fortress Mode be finalized so that trade exports affect the demands and exports of those civilizations? To clarify, right now you could trade a civilization hundreds of crafts or food every year and the value of those items do not adjust for the proceeding year. My question  is when will this be adjusted/coded so that it matters what you trade and the amounts due to demands by other sites taking into account what you export.

That will still take a while, as it's effectively the next step in bringing back the economy, and as far as I can tell, taverns, fortress starting scenario's and job priorities come first. Arefacts are the closest thing to what you're describing, and those are basically... historical figures of a sort.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 14, 2014, 06:17:49 pm »

I know that sooner or later every fortress falls and you can reclaim it afterwards with a group of brand new dwarfs. But will we ever have scenarios where we actually get a chance to continue the history of the original group as something like refugees or slaves who break free?

And on a kind of similar note, do you ever plan on making civilizations go through some sort of progression so perhaps we see tiny groups of nomads who eventually become either a horde or settle as a tribe and then turn into a proper kingdom?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 14, 2014, 07:25:27 pm »

I know that sooner or later every fortress falls and you can reclaim it afterwards with a group of brand new dwarfs. But will we ever have scenarios where we actually get a chance to continue the history of the original group as something like refugees or slaves who break free?

Sounds like a reasonable and interesting starting scenario. So the answer is probably yes, but no time line. The Dwarf Talk goes a bit more into starting scenarios, and the one listed there, was not the definitive list.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 14, 2014, 09:28:30 pm »

As part of starting scenarios, will starting dwarves be existing historical figures instead of being generated out of thin air? What about adventurers?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:19:29 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 14, 2014, 10:39:00 pm »

That will still take a while, as it's effectively the next step in bringing back the economy, and as far as I can tell, taverns, fortress starting scenario's and job priorities come first. Arefacts are the closest thing to what you're describing, and those are basically... historical figures of a sort.
Do you mean historical figures as in historical information data saved with each Civ Site?
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 14, 2014, 10:49:17 pm »

Artifacts are not historical figures. Historical figures refers only to the creatures you'll see in the legends mode "Historical Figures" listing.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 15, 2014, 07:16:36 am »

Are standard yearly player artifacts generally going to end up a little different from the full on god stolen paranoia breeding civilization symbolizing artifacts? Speaking of paranoia, will we be able to control the spread of information on our treasures?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 306