Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1851175 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #705 on: November 15, 2014, 09:50:42 am »

Artifacts are not historical figures. Historical figures refers only to the creatures you'll see in the legends mode "Historical Figures" listing.

Historical Figurines.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 15, 2014, 01:44:11 pm »

I have heard of randomly generated games. I'm so hyped !

Will there be any other types of games than dices ? I would be very interested if you could talk more about these (if you have already thought enough about it !)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 15, 2014, 01:51:26 pm »

Will there be any other types of games than dices ? I would be very interested if you could talk more about these (if you have already thought enough about it !)

There will likely be card games too at least.

Toady:
It's all going in with ... There's going to be nothing wrong with having your tavern meeting hall, your dwarves decide to throw a party there, there happens to be a merchant there; that's actually part of the idea, to have your dwarves around those people so that one of your dwarves could challenge a visiting merchant to a Tacticus game or something and that was one of the main things we were planning to explore with that, these interrelationships and also just the games themselves. We were thinking, well, if you've got a dwarf and an outsider playing a game you should be able to pop in and control the dwarf and just pop up a little game screen and play with some games. The starting point for that was adventure mode, because of course going in a tavern and just rolling dice or playing a little game of some kind is a perfectly reasonable thing for an adventurer to do. The problem with adventure mode mechanics sometimes is that they don't make it into dwarf mode until way later, like with the combat reports where that kind of fighting was going on but you couldn't read the text of what actually happened until recently. The idea this time is to get the dice games and card games and board games - or whatever we end up adding first - into both modes at the same time, so that you'd be able to control your dwarves playing against the outsiders, and perhaps if your dwarves are playing with each other you'd be able to pick one of them to jump into. I'm not quite as certain about that but it might be required just to give you the opportunity to do this very much. If two people are playing a game at a table in a meeting hall then they're going to be playing that game for a certain amount of time, like several days in dwarf mode the way it works, or at least a couple of days ...

Rainseeker:
A very addictive game.

Toady:
So it'll probably just pop up a little notification in the top left corner, one of those little letters or something, just letting you know that you can jump into something if you want, and then you'd be able to pop in and play the game in frozen time, so no time passes while you're resolving it, and then when you leave the game would either adjourn or they'd continue sitting at that table for the same amount of time they would have, so that it doesn't feel like there's any meta-gaming going on that way. I mean jumping into someone's head and playing a game for them is already kind of meta-gaming, so it's not that big a deal. You could, if one of your gambling addict dwarves decides to gamble away your anvil or something, then maybe you can jump in there and win the game for him.
From DFTalk.

I'd like to know more too.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 15, 2014, 06:19:20 pm »

There will likely be card games too at least.
I like the idea of cards having similar properties to coins, with art depicting historical events/figures and such, different sets of cards for different civs. Would be a pretty fun thing to collect in adventure mode too.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 15, 2014, 10:21:19 pm »

What happened to those UI suggestions? I've seen a few, but my impression was that there'd be a lot more.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 16, 2014, 12:33:35 am »

I have heard of randomly generated games. I'm so hyped !

From the latest DFTalk (important bits underlined):

Quote from: DFTalk 22
Toady:    
        Hehe. Yeah it's about time. It's about time for the instruments, and... We're also going to do dancing and storytelling and some other things that people can do in taverns. And this will also carry over in general to any parties that the dwarves throw, I mean once you have a tavern it'll be more likely that dwarves will throw a party there, but they'll sometimes will still throw them in the statue gardens or other places that you set up for them. But they'll be able to use their instruments and probably also have children playing with toys, just get all the items up and running. So you have this little bustling stuff going on in your fortress. People, for a while now, have been clamoring for the return of recipes, which we had very briefly, and those will make it back.
   And your fortress will be able to kind of get a reputation based on the services you have available, and the quality of the drinks you're selling. And we're toying with the idea of having a local dish, that kind of thing. So that's all, that's all on the table for this, and in the notes . You'll be able to rent rooms to people. Finally you'll be able to have games. We're trying to randomly generate some games. We'll do what we can with dice games, and board games. They've have all been around for thousands of years so it's all fair, and your dwarves will be able to gamble, he he he. And we'll be able to... We're thinking because we have it in adventure mode anyway, the ability to play games when we do that part, which we'll talk about in a second, that you'll also be able to play the games directly if one of your dwarves is playing, just to give you a chance to see it, and to experience the game.

Threetoe:    
And to stop your dwarf from gambling away all the treasure of your fortress...

Toady:    
He he he. It's also important to understand what property means in the fortress because until we have that, perhaps the dwarves will be able to gamble away your entire crafts pile. And it'll be up to you to stop them, or to kill the guest with magma... He he, after they win your stuff.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 16, 2014, 04:01:21 am »

This is a red spinel dice game. All craftsmanship is randomly generated. It is encrusted with exceptionally made confusing win conditions, studded with RNG swing, and menaces with spikes of everything except instructions.

On the item is an image of dice, a siege and a dwarf. The dwarf is grasping for the dice. The siege is severing the dwarf, which flies away in an arc.

On the item is an image of gold goblets and a traveler. The goblets are being taken by the traveler. The traveler is laughing.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 16, 2014, 05:22:05 am »

We're trying to randomly generate some games. We'll do what we can with dice games, and board games. They've have all been around for thousands of years so it's all fair, and your dwarves will be able to gamble, he he he. And we'll be able to... We're thinking because we have it in adventure mode anyway, the ability to play games when we do that part, which we'll talk about in a second, that you'll also be able to play the games directly if one of your dwarves is playing, just to give you a chance to see it, and to experience the game.

Well,smirk, it's AFTER reading this that I asked this question, not before. Quoting last DFTalk won't help a lot...what Toady said was interesting but, I want(ed) to know more, hence my question about if it was possible to have more details about it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:12:24 am by Inarius »

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 16, 2014, 10:23:50 pm »

How much do we have to donate to have you do a guitar piece per season?
Enough to feed him and house him. c:
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 18, 2014, 04:39:04 pm »

We all love the nonsensical epithets that are generated for notable figures, but is there a chance of getting some more sensible ones intermingled in soon, such as "X the Swordsman", "X the Rock", "X the Wise", or "X One-eye" based on equipment, encounters, or physical/mental characteristics? I can imagine that, for instance, it would make it a little more engaging and easier to remember a journey to kill Bax the Pillager instead of Bax Cryptsquarreled the Foresty Glaive of Wandering

I know a more intensive linguistics rewrite is a later power goal, but I think especially with the world being activated it would make it a little easier to keep track of the hundreds of historical guys running around if some of them had slightly more "familiar" names / epithets.

On that note, are there any plans to be able to mark characters as "interesting" and/or be able add some brief notes to them that would persist through the modes?
Perhaps marking a character as interesting makes their name show up in light blue instead of white when their name comes up (similar to how PCs show up in Legends), so it's a little easier to track throughout the adventure mode screens. And when browsing Legends mode and you see him highlighted, you can add a note that he killed your character, and later you see these when he shows up in Fortress Mode.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 19, 2014, 08:38:28 am »

Nicknames and custom professions that you assign in adventure mode will stay assigned for legends and fortress mode, so that's one way of marking people.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 19, 2014, 09:21:10 am »

Quote from: 11/18/2014 devlog
I cleaned up some crashes today. One of them involved a night creature that had wandered into a shop and killed the owner... the creature then somehow got assigned as the owner. The crash happened when the night creature tried to come up with things to say to potential shoppers, since it didn't have a civilization as a frame of reference. I fixed that part, but I still have no idea why it thought it should change professions in the first place...

Toady One, I just want to say, you're awesome :D and thanks for fixing the midmap error one.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 19, 2014, 02:34:36 pm »

At what point in the future will places (like deserts and forests) have names which are not set in stone, but given to them by civilizations living near them?

When will places have names related to their particular features (naming a forest full of apple trees the Forest of Apple Trees, for example)?
._.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 19, 2014, 03:08:39 pm »

At what point in the future will places (like deserts and forests) have names which are not set in stone, but given to them by civilizations living near them?

When will places have names related to their particular features (naming a forest full of apple trees the Forest of Apple Trees, for example)?

The response to these sorts of questions tends to be "Planned, but no specific time line" unless it's imminent in the current cluster of releases.  I don't think overhauling names is in the current cluster (but I wouldn't mind being wrong!).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 19, 2014, 03:26:41 pm »

That said, at least the first is on the main development page, under the Explorer role.
Quote from: Dev page
Store region names by entity, not all places would have names, ability to give names to the regions/rivers/peaks etc. that you discover
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 306