Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: A Creative Programming Project: Merchants Quest  (Read 17316 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: A Creative Programming Project: Merchants Quest
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2013, 04:59:03 am »

Since you have sunlight implemented are you planning on having lights that are turned on during the night cycle such as fires and oil lamps? It probably wouldn't be super bright but it would make a nice pixel lighting effect if larger cities had a slight red-orange glow added at points along in-city roads and buildings. It's more of a stylistic choice, but would make it easier to determine at a glance during the night cycle where larger populations are located if the player doesn't want to have the city name labels visible.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2013, 05:30:30 am »

So no non-earthly materials like Squashberries?
Have not really decided on that yet. Depends how much work I end up putting into this.

Since you have sunlight implemented are you planning on having lights that are turned on during the night cycle such as fires and oil lamps? It probably wouldn't be super bright but it would make a nice pixel lighting effect if larger cities had a slight red-orange glow added at points along in-city roads and buildings. It's more of a stylistic choice, but would make it easier to determine at a glance during the night cycle where larger populations are located if the player doesn't want to have the city name labels visible.
Should not be too hard to implement. Yeah, I am adding this, but as I said I am probably not doing more graphics work before some gameplay is added.
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2013, 06:35:05 am »

PTW, jealous of your productivity :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2013, 06:37:08 am »

Sounds good to me :D Can't wait to see an indepth gameplay demo ^_^
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2013, 01:16:55 pm »

Quote from: Killjoy
Right now my concerns are getting some gameplay up and running.

I don't want to sound beggy, but as you implement gameplay, are you keeping it as a closed beta? or will you expect some input from your dozens of eager-to-be players?

The low-fantasy setting sounds great, like Mount & Blade without combat and with fleshed out economy, politics and character interaction.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2013, 01:36:00 pm »

I don't want to sound beggy, but as you implement gameplay, are you keeping it as a closed beta? or will you expect some input from your dozens of eager-to-be players?
As soon as I deem there is some basic level of gameplay, I will release it to the masses (and let them tear it apart).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2013, 08:06:20 pm »

Always the best way to do it, IMHO. That way, you can catch the little issues that wouldn't be caught until release otherwise. (Playing your own game renders you vulnerable to bugs and such which happen when people push your system to the limit.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2013, 10:43:00 pm »

As soon as I deem there is some basic level of gameplay, I will release it to the masses (and let them tear it apart).

Can't wait.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2013, 05:46:04 am »

Can't wait.
Might take some time, as I have been a little busy. And yesterday, when I technically could have worked on it I was struck with a weird fascination for studying the newest Java security exploit and building a program that can parse java class files.

Either way, here is the current state of the game. If anyone interested in an update.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I added view fog, console, and a few more buttons.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:50:38 am by Killjoy »

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2013, 10:22:42 am »

View fog, as it seems, is just limited by it's radius but not by topography. Are you planning to leave it this way? Or would it be a pain to change it? And so, when fog is active, stuff won't update until you get by there, right? Even buildings?

Overall sweetness.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2013, 12:14:57 pm »

Map looks awesome.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2013, 12:45:40 pm »

View fog, as it seems, is just limited by it's radius but not by topography. Are you planning to leave it this way? Or would it be a pain to change it? And so, when fog is active, stuff won't update until you get by there, right? Even buildings?
View fog is limited by topology. It is a little hard to see on the screenshot I posted.
The AI is doing mostly abstract things, so I can afford to update everything all the time. The AI that is implemented right now (Breed and Marriage) only attempt to execute themselves about once or twice every ingame day.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2013, 09:40:03 pm »

Sounds neat. I'll have to watch this to see where it goes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2013, 09:57:46 am »

what is happening to this?

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2013, 09:59:39 am »

New big project at work happened.
I will have to put this on hold for now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7