Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 81839 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #300 on: December 11, 2017, 07:10:31 pm »

Yeah, the thing which really struck me as cheaty was the 10x fortress density.  It makes for a good story, but it also means there was somewhat less challenge to LW's accomplishments than one would expect (given what LW said, at least; I've never played Stellaris).  The only real meaning that has is that it would be wrong to share this while emphasizing how impressive LW's achievement was.

...Ah, and hi!  This thread is amazing, I've really enjoyed reading it!  Someone should definitely share it on Reddit after the conclusion, not to brag, but just so more people can enjoy the story.  It's really good.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 11, 2017, 08:37:02 pm »

As someone who has played Stellaris, I found the vanilla fortress density to be rather silly- by the mid to late game they're obsolete.

If you use the Monster Waves 3 or the Pirate Waves 2 mod they have a little use, but even then they are rendered obsolete in the late game barring specific circumstances. In fact, the creator of those mods recommends you use a mod that lowers the fortress density.

TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 12, 2017, 11:02:05 pm »

can we have a new poll given that we in fact, HAVE left earth?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 13, 2017, 09:27:23 pm »

What would Loud Whispers but in the poll?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 13, 2017, 11:24:40 pm »

What would Loud Whispers but in the poll?

Options for what to do with earth when we return to it, perhaps?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 14, 2017, 12:00:06 am »

Alright, as far as I can tell the options are:
  • Gaia Terraform Earth
  • Continental Terraform Earth
  • Build a memorial over Earth (Earth Memorial Habitat)
  • Leave it be/Quarantine it
Did I forget/not think of any?
GENERATION 32:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 14, 2017, 12:00:45 am »

EXPLODE EARTH
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 14, 2017, 12:05:51 am »

EXPLODE EARTH

Um, Stellaris doesn't have that as a option in Vanilla... I mean, if Loud Whispers felt like it he could use a mod, but he's done really well trying to keep it close to Vanilla (which is what makes this so impressive, tbh- one planet, survived the Prethoryn Scourge and is beating them).
GENERATION 32:

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #308 on: December 14, 2017, 06:32:16 am »

New strawpoll
For the memorial idea I changed it a bit. Building a memorial habitat over it didn't seem right, so instead the way I'd do it would be to colonize it with robots, build a great big monument, then deconstruct all the robots until the planet is uninhabited. This will leave it pristine and empty, full of Earth native life, but untouched by human buildings except for the monument.

Um, Stellaris doesn't have that as a option in Vanilla... I mean, if Loud Whispers felt like it he could use a mod, but he's done really well trying to keep it close to Vanilla (which is what makes this so impressive, tbh- one planet, survived the Prethoryn Scourge and is beating them).
It would be pretty easy to change the planet class with a small mod. Not sure why exploding Earth is a good idea, but it can be done

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 14, 2017, 07:19:09 am »

The great thing about making Earth into a Gaia world is that we can still populate it with Earth fauna entirely, but also any other cool fauna we got from anywhere else! Anyone and everyone will be welcome to visit Earth as much as they like, because if you really love something you have to set it free from the surly bonds of ecological limitations and let it find its own groove free from the terrible history of the Great Anthropogenic Extinction. I'm sure we can trust Mother Earth to find a solution that suits it eventually in its glorious retirement.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 14, 2017, 09:57:08 am »

We have come so far from earth. Do we really want to not bring it back, and disgrace it's memory as a Gaia world? We will not try to make it perfect, but the same. We will not disgrace the memory of the Earth, of our ancestors by destroying all that it stood for like the enemy! We must restore back to a continental world, as it used to be.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 14, 2017, 10:45:20 am »

That makes no sense at all. Before the Prethoryn Scourge we were ready to adapt, to improve, to create a utopia for all sentient beings. Why should we let them change our values? The past cannot be altered, so rather than look inward and back with a lifeless memorial or nostalgic fantasy, we must look outward and forward by creating a true utopia. Earth shall be the first of a galaxy of ideal planets!

It is only thus, by staying true to our dreams and ideals no matter the circumstances, that we may claim spiritually never to have left earth.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 14, 2017, 03:22:45 pm »

That makes no sense at all. Before the Prethoryn Scourge we were ready to adapt, to improve, to create a utopia for all sentient beings. Why should we let them change our values? The past cannot be altered, so rather than look inward and back with a lifeless memorial or nostalgic fantasy, we must look outward and forward by creating a true utopia. Earth shall be the first of a galaxy of ideal planets!

It is only thus, by staying true to our dreams and ideals no matter the circumstances, that we may claim spiritually never to have left earth.
This
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 15, 2017, 01:37:38 pm »

+1
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 15, 2017, 03:33:20 pm »

This...makes the opposite of sense to me. The goal is to return to Earth. Not some pretty facsimile, not some Disneyland fairy-tale version of the homeworld, but EARTH.

I know we can never return the world to exactly the way it once was; impact craters, if nothing else, will have forever altered the landscape, and countless species are undoubtedly extinct. But if we want to claim, in spirit if nothing else, that we had never left Earth, then let's return it to the way it once was. The flowing rivers AND the burning deserts. The lush jungles AND the frozen wastelands. From the open plains to the darkest caves, from the deepest oceans to the highest mountains, we must restore Earth as a Continental world in all its glory.

Ideally, I'd like to terraform Olympia back into an ice world as well. I can't even begin to imagine how many species, adapted to the frigid cold, are now either extinct or live on only in climate-controlled zoos. If we want perfectly ideal, universal climates, that's what habitats are for.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30