Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2127725 times)

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7230 on: December 05, 2012, 08:57:31 am »

More of a personal facepalm than a game one: For some reason, I decided that for my current magma pump stack I would use floor grates over the channeled input tiles for each and every individual pump. I made them all out of olivine, so they're magma safe and an attractive green colour. I thought to myself, "this is probably the first ever pump stack that meets OHS standards!"

The facepalm came when I remembered that I had built the pumps out of pitchblende. Not exactly OHS quality material.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: December 05, 2012, 03:59:06 pm »

I had read about people making danger rooms so I thought that I'd try making some upright spikes with training spears in my main hallway. I had put some pressure plates along that same hall so it acted as a repeating switch to send make the spikes stab and retract. So anyway I had my spikes working and I soon found that I was having lots of dwarves dying and I eventually decided that too many were dying so I dismantled the trap. I then found that the reason my dwarves were dying was because I'd accidentally put some actual spears in the spear trap.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: December 05, 2012, 11:30:39 pm »

Built a danger burrow, behind a retractable bridge.  Then hid behind it very unsuccessfully from oncoming arrows.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: December 06, 2012, 07:57:41 pm »

After years of kitchen and butcher-shop miasma, finally actually read this statement:

"Once a stockpile has wheelbarrows assigned and moved to it, the number of wheelbarrows will act as a limit on the number of simultaneous hauling jobs for moving items to that stockpile."

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: December 07, 2012, 03:03:13 pm »

Now if only there was a way to make rock bins...

I always mod in a reaction to make rock bins.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've had three facepalms recently.

The first was when I was puzzling about how to make humans survive worldgen. It turns out they have a much higher chance of surviving if you don't delete them entirely from the raws (I think it was the script I used to get rid of animalmen).

The second was when I was trying to get my jeweler to cut all those nice rough gems cluttering up the place so I could decorate and/or sell them. I must have scrolled a little too fast through the list, because I ended up with a lot of marble cachabons ... when I desperately needed that marble for steel production. Now that I think of it, that's a double facepalm, since I should have turned off all economic stone.

Speaking of steel production, it had been a while since I've had huge iron deposits, and I was enjoying the sight of my iron stockpiles filling up. I made three magma smelters, made a bunch of iron bars, but what's this? I can't seem to make pig iron? It took me several hours to realize that I still needed charcoal as flux, even if I didn't need the coal as fuel.

beautiful. one of my favorite posts of the facepalms. I could imagine doing all 4, (including the wanting of stone bins, i don't really cos i don't like bins, but i can see how many people do) and i'm pretty sure i could have thought of the solution to all 4, and would facepalm at thinking of the solution to each.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: December 08, 2012, 02:18:46 am »

Ilral Zesalmosh Sosasdoston Okol, militia captain is throwing a tantrum!
(high master axedwarf + armor + dodging)

Oh crap...

As it turned out, I was saved by pure luck. He happened to be sleeping ... and throwing a tantrum at the same time.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: December 08, 2012, 01:10:27 pm »

Built a danger burrow, behind a retractable bridge.  Then hid behind it very unsuccessfully from oncoming arrows.

I laughed at this one.  I could imagine the dwarves staring in amazement at the arrows coming past the bridge: "How can they do that?  It's retracted!"
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: December 08, 2012, 06:23:29 pm »

Note to self: When building a really tall tower fortress do not try rushing things by designating too many constructions at once.

..My mason caused a cave in and fell through 4 constructed  levels, through the offices of my mayor, bookkeeper one floor below and finally and 10levels of freewall until crashing throught the roof of my hospital (what luck! He even survived) This ofcourse caused another cave in and led to a cave-in making a hole throught 3 levels of constructed floor, 10z of freewall and finally 10 levels through my underground fortress and finally landing on top a trade liason. ::)

Darn cave-ins and floors (they keep going until they meet a fall. Ofcourse I  used the same floor plan for every level so every z-layer has a floor in the same spot that the cave-in can crash through.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:25:13 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: December 09, 2012, 08:17:06 pm »

Don't drink and designate.
Having had a truly decadent drink I was in the mood for some architecture. So I drunkdesignated a new appartment complex, watched it get dug out and smoothed and went to bed. Turns out: a) it looks ugly, b) I wasted a perfectly good z-lvl that I was planning to use for something else, but had forgotten about, c) with the recent wave of marriages the need for bedrooms was greatly reduced and I'm not going to have any use for the thing in many years to come. So yeah.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: December 09, 2012, 10:55:06 pm »

Having had a truly decadent drink I was in the mood for some architecture. So I drunkdesignated a new appartment complex, watched it get dug out and smoothed and went to bed. Turns out: a) it looks ugly, b) I wasted a perfectly good z-lvl that I was planning to use for something else, but had forgotten about, c) with the recent wave of marriages the need for bedrooms was greatly reduced and I'm not going to have any use for the thing in many years to come. So yeah.

Always remember to choose a designated designator when you drink and DF.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: December 10, 2012, 01:58:37 pm »

Always remember to choose a designated designator when you drink and DF.

Or sign up for Drunk Fortress, where such drunk designating is the entire point.

Grytorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: December 10, 2012, 08:56:01 pm »

I discovered how plant processing works today. The names for the tasks are completely non indicative.

Slyjoker87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: December 14, 2012, 03:24:21 pm »

Just finished slaughtering all of my extra animals, but then realized that I need a few caged cats to make my dwarves happy. Never thought I'd actually NEED a freaking cat! X_X

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: December 17, 2012, 07:22:45 pm »

Just finished slaughtering all of my extra animals, but then realized that I need a few caged cats to make my dwarves happy. Never thought I'd actually NEED a freaking cat! X_X
Besides, those darn critters keep stealing all the vermin. What will the starving dorfs eat?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: December 17, 2012, 07:26:55 pm »

Besides, those darn critters keep stealing all the vermin. What will the starving dorfs eat?
Cat.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 729