Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 456273 times)

Gauphastus

• Bay Watcher
  • y hello der
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2008, 05:04:11 pm »

Yeah, tossed my vote onto the improved hauling one that seems really popular.
My other votes went to improved pathfinder and sparring weapon switching.

Glad you guys managed to get this going. Now it should be much easier for you to decide what pieces the people want updated.

Very good, gentlemen.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2008, 06:17:01 pm »

Who really cares if the votes at the top tend to get more attention from the people who can't be bothered to read all the way down?  The people that DO read through will get to pick the second tier applications, which will be where the trickle votes go to after the top tier (beneficieries of the 'appetizer effect') get knocked off.  More people feel like their vote counted, etc etc.

It's not like only 3 of the things are going to get done, it's an informal straw poll to show the dev where the primary interest is.

Frankly I think there are a lot of people looking a gift horse in the mouth.

+Iron Caps+ off to zagibu fro spending the time first, to organize the first Top10 poll, and secondly to make such an excellent tool so nobody ever has to do that (run a suggestions poll thread) again.

Bravo!

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2008, 04:27:04 am »

You know, I would actually love to work on some of the suggestions that have been made in this thread, but it's currently impossible. I work during the day, and in the evening, I'm studying computer science at the university. The only time I currently have are the weekends, and I usually have to do "homework" then. But maybe I can do something this weekend, as the amount of homework we got this week is pretty small, yet.
Also, it has gotten hard to use worktime for private things. They recently installed surveillance in our offices, and although I have already been able to access the cameras' built in webfrontend, there doesn't seem to be an option to feed it with a looped track of me working furiously. I guess they are just used as eyes, and are connected to a camera server somewhere, that does all the work. Now I just have to invent a reason to enter the server room (again)...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2008, 05:21:30 am »

Good grief we all appreciate your contribution but don't get fired over it

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2008, 09:38:32 am »

No worries, the security guys have no clue about anything, and I'm not completely inexperienced when it comes to hide my traces. And they certainly cant fire the boss, whose IP and MAC I am currently using.
99 barrels of beer!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2008, 09:51:19 am »

You know, I would actually love to work on some of the suggestions that have been made in this thread, but it's currently impossible. I work during the day, and in the evening, I'm studying computer science at the university. The only time I currently have are the weekends, and I usually have to do "homework" then. But maybe I can do something this weekend, as the amount of homework we got this week is pretty small, yet.
Also, it has gotten hard to use worktime for private things. They recently installed surveillance in our offices, and although I have already been able to access the cameras' built in webfrontend, there doesn't seem to be an option to feed it with a looped track of me working furiously. I guess they are just used as eyes, and are connected to a camera server somewhere, that does all the work. Now I just have to invent a reason to enter the server room (again)...

No worries, the poll system is good enough, and thanks for it!  :)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2008, 02:20:37 pm »

What.
You're hacking your office so you can help DF? That...

...That sounds exactly like something the people here would do.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2008, 02:52:32 pm »

Oh, I have already gained root access on the linux dns server long before I knew what DF is. You know, I don't like being spied on, and they log all outbount internet traffic. So I opened an SSH tunnel from our inside DNS server to a server a friend of mine owns, and do all my "private" activity over this tunnel now. This way, the firewall only logs ciphered SSH traffic, and I'm safe. They could of course set the firewall up so that it can decipher the traffic sent from known machines (the DNS server), but as I said before, the security guys have no clue.
99 barrels of beer!

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2008, 05:02:21 pm »

If you like, I could take a look at the PHP for the voting script. I actually do this stuff for a living too (while attending college) but I'm on a light class load (after switching majors away from computer science [heh]) and spend most of my free time on Mercenaries 2 and Dwarf Fortress anyway.

Can just drop it in a pastecode site and pm me if you like.  Though honestly, I do think it's fine as it is.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:04:15 pm by BatCountry »

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2008, 06:02:47 pm »

It's Toady's decision, he runs the code. You'd probably be better off to rewrite it completely, though, because, as I have already stated, I am NOT a professional webprogrammer, and therefore the code is bound to be a mess. It seems to work so far, but the day it breaks and tears down the whole bay12games.com can't be far. Let's pray to the machine gods for more time...
99 barrels of beer!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2008, 12:19:57 am »

Ok, I have to ask, who's bright idea was it to add this?

Improving the game
# Improving the game in all possible ways.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2008, 03:43:57 am »

Somebody who did not knew where to put his third vote ?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2008, 07:36:33 am »

Improving the game

LOL, quite constructive suggestion..... ;D

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2008, 07:49:27 am »

Improving the game

LMAO. Sorry, I found that very amusing.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2008, 02:15:14 pm »

Somebody who did not knew where to put his third vote ?

It has 0 votes.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 58