Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 456586 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2008, 07:07:37 pm »

I've put the script back up now.  The problems continued after I took it down, so I'm pretty sure it was due to the server move and their mismanagement of resources.  If problems continue, I'm changing hosting companies.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2008, 11:59:13 am »

If your suspicion returns to the script, tell me, and we can investigate it's sql connections...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2008, 04:07:33 pm »

If your suspicion returns to the script, tell me, and we can investigate it's sql connections...

I am pretty sure, that it wasn't the script what caused the problems.  :) I think I know that what was it, but it doesn't matter now at all.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:38:40 am by Tormy »

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2008, 09:34:43 am »

I'm curious what you know that it was.
The great game of Warlocks!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2008, 09:42:47 am »

I'm curious what you know that it was.

Its very possible that the database error [-> number of SQL connections] was related to the low number of IO tokens. [io_tokens value ideally should be close to max]
One of my friends had the same problem with his forum.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

Kinda off-topic, but I was the 9999th viewer.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2008, 05:27:47 pm »

This is not X-Box live, where you get achievements for everything. "Achievement unlocked -> Logged in to X-Box live", "Achievement unlocked -> Random event 3842", "Achievement unlocked -> Achievement unlocked", "Achievement unlocked -> Stack overflow". Yeah.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2008, 05:34:28 pm »

This thing was a great idea, but it's stagnated because people only get 3 votes.  If idea A has 10 diehard supporters and is hated by everybody else, and idea B is universally liked but too small to get people to change their votes, idea A will be ranked higher despite B being more deserving of the attention.  If people could vote +1, -1, or 0 (same as no vote) on EACH idea, and the ideas were ranked by the sum of all votes, the popularity of a suggestion would be much more accurately represented.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2008, 05:40:24 pm »

Whoa!  :o 141 suggestions on the list so far.
I am just wondering, what will happen once Toady coded in the new underground features for example. That suggestion will be removed from the list? [Probably not all of the suggested underground features will be implemented, so that is why I was wondering.]

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2008, 07:56:34 pm »

This thing was a great idea, but it's stagnated because people only get 3 votes.  If idea A has 10 diehard supporters and is hated by everybody else, and idea B is universally liked but too small to get people to change their votes, idea A will be ranked higher despite B being more deserving of the attention.  If people could vote +1, -1, or 0 (same as no vote) on EACH idea, and the ideas were ranked by the sum of all votes, the popularity of a suggestion would be much more accurately represented.

I disagree, I think that it's stagnated because the vote turnover has been low recently.  After this mega release there'll be a huge influx of fresh votes.  (Plus I dislike the subtractive system, because people tend to be pro development in their areas and anti development in others.)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2008, 07:58:34 pm »

I am just wondering, what will happen once Toady coded in the new underground features for example. That suggestion will be removed from the list? [Probably not all of the suggested underground features will be implemented, so that is why I was wondering.]
Yeah, removed. It can be re-added for further voting if people feel unsatisfied.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2008, 02:55:52 am »

Yeah, removed. It can be re-added for further voting if people feel unsatisfied.

Yeah, I've already vowed to yank UD off the list as soon as Toady says "first pass at UD done" with a release. You might want to be patient however, as I'm only swinging through here maybe once a week.

If I go afk for a while, this is formal acknowledgment that Toady and/or anyone else with authority will/can remove UD in my absence without so much as the slightest hint of whining on my part.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2008, 08:12:45 am »

There are a lot of topics in the vein of "Improved x". I would encourage everyone to at least put one or two votes on very specific suggestions, so it'll be clear when these are implemented and then those votes can be applied elsewhere.

Broad categories are good to signal where players get their kicks, but everyone has specific ideas what's more important within those categories.. ultimately it probably will give a greater sense of accomplishment to push specific ideas.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2008, 08:15:18 am »

..as a side note, the UD thread is still the best and most detailed topic in the suggestions subforum [This is my subjective opinion at least]. Big thanks for it Othob.  8)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2008, 10:33:37 am »

There are a lot of topics in the vein of "Improved x". I would encourage everyone to at least put one or two votes on very specific suggestions, so it'll be clear when these are implemented and then those votes can be applied elsewhere.

Broad categories are good to signal where players get their kicks, but everyone has specific ideas what's more important within those categories.. ultimately it probably will give a greater sense of accomplishment to push specific ideas.

I dunno, I'd think that any time a few features got added to an area that would count...

Suggestions that should be cleared this go round: (based on what I've read in dev_next)

(254) UD
(100) Sparring Weapons (may not be sparring weapons, but I think the deadly will be handled)
(21) Stats Improvement
(5) Assign rooms to Noble positions
(3) Gender Differentiation
(3) Life Cycle

(Not that everyone will think enough was done, I'd anticipate a significant number of votes going straight back into the same catagories as a 'good, but we want more' vote)

There's also still 1000+ items left, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the logistics issues cleared up.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 58