Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 112

Author Topic: Smster W/ Love - Game Over  (Read 212275 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Smstr W / Love : A Lovely End Of The World - Day 1 - Class Selection
« Reply #240 on: January 25, 2014, 10:04:30 pm »

Everyone: Do you think we should play this...literally? All responses made from Web are...literal. As in-context wise.
Do you think flavor plays a greater role here?

All I know is my gut says maybe.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 25, 2014, 10:08:53 pm »

Tiruin: To respond to your post, you entirely misinterpreted the point of what I said.

Some examples of what you said to HissihnWalnuts that I interpreted to be somewhat sharp.  However, I would like to note that this is MY opinion, and not necessarily the intent of the authot (you).

No all the saying you are x, person is doing x, how do you respond its kinda confusing.
It's a query to check what you would do in that kind of situation. Surely you could do that, right?
There are two main meanings to the bolded part (where I live, I'm sure other places in the United States and the world at large that may have additional meanings attached to that statement): either as a joke, or as a snide comment.  Now, to be clear, I am a pessimist who sees the worst in things, so my reading was obviously tainted, but I read it as the latter.

Yeah, seems no one questioned me though.
<_<
Either you're blind, or you fail to see my note to you, H. Walnuts.
Yes I'm mean, because you seem to be lazy.
Umm... I think this is self-explanatory.

Also, Nerjin, you're one of the mods in a bastard game.  That doesn't hold much weight to me.

Tiruin again: I would say... I have no idea.  The rotating items mechanic is enough to make me wonder if something is up, so... I guess my answer would be no.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 25, 2014, 10:09:47 pm »

Also...
Everyone: Do you think we should play this...literally? All responses made from Web are...literal. As in-context wise.
Do you think flavor plays a greater role here?

webadict never promised that he wouldn't be misleading.  In fact, by labelling this a bastard mod, he promised that he would be misleading.  Remember his choices in designing this game will all have a purpose - if he wanted NQT to be an actual confirmed townie, why not just outright say he's town rather than being vague and leaving enough wiggleroom for him not to be?  If he wanted us all to know NQT is on our side then why not just tell us our win conditions and make it obvious that they line up with his?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smstr W / Love : A Lovely End Of The World - FULL - Setting Up...
« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2014, 10:11:25 pm »

Technically, he did. Sort of.

Aaaaand, your gender and stuff are in your roles. If you're not told you're Evil, you're not Evil. Have fun. Ask away, foolish fools. I'm sure I forgot to explain something.

:|

4maskwolf: please trim your post quotes down to the relevant portions only. Walls of text are annoying when they're necessary and relevant. They are infuriating when quoted unnecessarily.

I took what the mod said very seriously about not quoting the mod.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 25, 2014, 10:14:36 pm »

Unvote.

What webadict promised us: That he wouldn't lie.  With that in mind, let's analyze the information we've been given.

1. There is a meteor coming.
2. Three students summoned that meteor.
3. NQT is Not Evil.
4. You will be told if you are evil (I misread that rule before, sorry for contradicting you 4maskwolf.  Doesn't actually affect my overall argument though)

Now, what things did he not tell us?  What things is webadict trying to make us think without actually explicitly stating them?

1. The meteor was summoned by evil students.
2. The goal of not Evil people is to eliminate evil people.
3. All people who are "not Evil" have the same alignment.
4. Evilness has some kind of link to alignment.

What's my conclusion?  It's that there's absolutely no reason to think that NQT is cleared of being someone we need to kill.  I'll go further - the fact that webadict is trying to imply that notquitethere is cleared while providing no direct statement that he is is incredibly suspicious and to me strongly suggests that he is a person we need to kill.  My original idea was that the three summoners are NQT, Nerjin and webadict, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

This is why I'm not voting you, by the way, 4maskwolf - I think you think that you're scum, but that you actually aren't.

Erm....
Actually, the entire premise of the evil students, unless I am entirely mistaken, is that they summoned the meteor.  That...  that is the premise of the game, right?
The only parts of this I agree with are the things we have been told and the part about NQT not needing to be killed.  NQT was declared not evil, but that doesn't mean that we can just turn our backs.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 25, 2014, 10:17:01 pm »

Well, as a bastard mod-'bastard' in theory pertains to either roles/mechanics or external forces in-game and mechanics//role abilities. So it's a whole generalization that...doesn't hold up to deeper scrutiny, though--hence why I'm really intersted in your thoughts.

@4mask: Now I get it :/ The outlook--I didn't mean to be aggressive (though..wording! Yeah.), just wanted to get H. Walnuts up to shape.

unvote. busy with RL stuffs, reading up in full later.

@Leafsnail:
why not just outright say he's town rather than being vague and leaving enough wiggleroom for him not to be?
I think he did. "Not Evil//Good". I was being semantically poking Web, but such works didn't..lead to any beneficial result.

Other than knowing that Web/Nerjin seem to be mor eon the 'We're actually playing this thing straight' instead of the usual neutral mod commentary. I mean, they are, still seemingly neutral but...in-context.

Webadict: Elucidate us. Do history classes deal with the study of the branches of magic? What are the dark magics classified under? Any theme representing them?

4mask
Technically, he did. Sort of.

Aaaaand, your gender and stuff are in your roles. If you're not told you're Evil, you're not Evil. Have fun. Ask away, foolish fools. I'm sure I forgot to explain something.

:|

4maskwolf: please trim your post quotes down to the relevant portions only. Walls of text are annoying when they're necessary and relevant. They are infuriating when quoted unnecessarily.

I took what the mod said very seriously about not quoting the mod.
This rule usually means, yet..is often confused...
Not quoting the mod == Not quoting Mod-related PMs. Like, roles thru PM.
You can quote the posts the mod makes. :P

PPE
Actually, the entire premise of the evil students, unless I am entirely mistaken, is that they summoned the meteor.  That...  that is the premise of the game, right?
I'd agree, but part of me wishes to challenge this. However with lacking evidence, it is right to assume that evil (mafia) did that.

As for why there was stated 'various circumstances' is...hmm. Interesting.
Though It'd best for me to shave with Occam's Razor though. Might be too complexifying these stuffs.

The only parts of this I agree with are the things we have been told and the part about NQT not needing to be killed.  NQT was declared not evil, but that doesn't mean that we can just turn our backs.
"...Not needing to be killed"? That was assumed, though never directly stated.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 25, 2014, 10:22:07 pm »

Erm....
Tell me: where exactly does webadict say that?  He implies it, sure, but false implications is the way you trick people in a bastard game.

Why did webadict create a setup with an ambiguously confirmed townie if not so that he could make that ambiguously confirmed townie the bad guy?

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 25, 2014, 10:24:40 pm »

As I said before. Bastard caption.
Crack-a-lack-a

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 25, 2014, 10:25:37 pm »

Erm....
Tell me: where exactly does webadict say that?  He implies it, sure, but false implications is the way you trick people in a bastard game.

Why did webadict create a setup with an ambiguously confirmed townie if not so that he could make that ambiguously confirmed townie the bad guy?
Your entire idea is based on the premise that the mod would define evil in a different way than we would.  While anything is fair game in a bastard mod game, I find this more far fetched than the other ideas posited.

That being said, I will keep your idea in mind.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2014, 10:26:15 pm »

Well, as a bastard mod-'bastard' in theory pertains to either roles/mechanics or external forces in-game and mechanics//role abilities. So it's a whole generalization that...doesn't hold up to deeper scrutiny, though--hence why I'm really intersted in your thoughts.
I don't understand what you're saying.

I think he did. "Not Evil//Good". I was being semantically poking Web, but such works didn't..lead to any beneficial result.
Again, why assume that "Good//Not Evil//Evil" line up with "Town//Not Mafia//Mafia"?  As you say, he evaded the questions about what the words actually mean.

Heck, there are regular games flavoured with the town as the bad guys, or with the town and mafia both being sympathetic (or "not evil").

Other than knowing that Web/Nerjin seem to be mor eon the 'We're actually playing this thing straight' instead of the usual neutral mod commentary. I mean, they are, still seemingly neutral but...in-context.
What?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2014, 10:30:48 pm »

I don't understand what you're saying.
I'm saying that 'bastard' is a generalization when talking about the game. You can't immediately and fully deduce the whole thing as-is. Because that's..well, for me, quite a lot to deduce in a short amount of time.

Couple that with how your posts grow in wording and targeting over time--I'm amused as ever!

Again, why assume that "Good//Not Evil//Evil" line up with "Town//Not Mafia//Mafia"?  As you say, he evaded the questions about what the words actually mean.

Heck, there are regular games flavoured with the town as the bad guys, or with the town and mafia both being sympathetic (or "not evil").
Yes..he did. However, he can't also just say that Town/Not Mafia/Mafia is the case, because as it seems-we're working along the lines of matching it up.

Perhaps it means by their abilities (due to context being classroom stuffs--most people onnly truly know each other by how they present..I..ahh...know this by experience. Probably jaded experience but y'know. Get the point). Or how they seem to everyone-given those thoughts.
Meaning: NQT is just a regular p;ayer like anyone else, may have got some specials in her role, and obviously looks good in the public eye. Not casting malice or whatever, just saying my viewpoint (to discard any useless suspicions along that line on me)

What?
Look at all Web/Nerjin's posts. They're all made, or most are made, from the voice and viewpoint of a teacher..-ish person. While it seems 'neutralmodvoice', it's set in the context of what we're playing.
Hence my question.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »

I am so confused.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Notable Games Archive
« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2014, 10:34:49 pm »

Again: "mafia" is not remotely synonymous with "evil".  As long as mafia members are an informed minority they can have any moral system.

For example, in Mafia and Masons and Hackers (a game I ran), the town was a ruthless group of money-driven hackers and the mafia were trying to make their actions more ethical.  Or how about Witch's Coven 3, where the mafia were the ones who wanted to prevent the apocalypse and have everyone live happily ever after?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 25, 2014, 10:38:40 pm »

So..I dunno how that's connected to the rest of the discussion. What baseline we're speaking from is this:

Town - assumed Good.
Mafia - assumed Evil.

Those terms fall in place because of how one side perceives the other-with the majority term falling suite. Unless the majority is technically 'rawrbadstudent'.
So yep, not taking the moral terminologies by what they really are, but their...symbolic meaning to the majority instead.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 25, 2014, 10:39:40 pm »

...You did post in the right thread, right Leafsnail? O_o
I...the post above is pointed at your post..in the other thread.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 112