Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy/Supers OOC Thread  (Read 27906 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy/Supers OOC Thread
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:56:23 pm »

IC Thread

This a simple Dungeon Fantasy game. It's based mostly around dungeon crawling and fighting, with some economics and roleplay (Mostly centering around the funding of expeditions and the disposal of loot.

Spoiler:  Old OP (click to show/hide)

Players:
Immaterial
kj1225
Remuthra
RangerCado
4maskwolf

Lore:

Spoiler: The Worship of Anura (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:39:44 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone here familiar with GURPS?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:00:56 pm »

I'm in, but I have one, very simple question.

If we do the post apocalyptic setting, can I be a taxi?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 11:04:34 pm »

like a dude who drives a taxi? Or an animate Taxi?

Something like that could probably be arranged, though I'd envisioned that one as being well past the date of the apocalypse, such that most everything from before was well and truly wrecked, and new societies had sprung up in their place.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 11:06:29 pm »

I'd definitely be up for a post apocalyptic game. Probably with some form of roaming Hunter with a strict moral code.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:10:19 pm »

Or an animate Taxi?
Yes. EXACTLY this. Even I was built by the new culture, I don't care. I've already got a character sheet partially made. What's the point value we start with, so I can update it?

Edit: But if you would like something more serious, I can set that up too.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:17:00 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 11:22:27 pm »

The point value will probably be 150. You could be either naturally occurring or created.

In terms of atmosphere, I think "Silly taking itself seriously" sounds about right. Kinda like warhammer 40k, except not necessarily so grim dark. I'm writing up a quick summary of the setting right now.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:35 pm »

How many penalty points can we have?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 11:33:53 pm »

50 points, I think. Remember though, I won't be running this for at least a week, and I still need to outline the world. So you're in no hurry. :P

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 11:51:27 pm »

Heres a basic storyline and a couple of details that should help you understand how the collapse came about. Go ahead and tell me what you think below, and feel free to ask questions.

In the future of our world, The Magic Came Back, or maybe just arrived for the first time, no ones quite sure about that. What they are sure about is that this was a catastrophe of unspeakable proportions. 99% of humanity died out in the first year from starvation, war, and predation.

The Event was an unbelievable release of magical energy that served to mutate many humans and other animals into monstrous forms, caused widespread disruption in weather patterns, and also rendered most machinery inoperable, due to magical interference. This led to widespread starvation and civil unrest.

Magical Interference: There is an ongoing rain of magical power from the sky. Unfortunately, this has the effect of causing random magical effects on anything that can't resist it. This very quickly makes anything vulnerable to it unrecognizable.

Etheric Identity: This is essentially a persons magical echo. It protects them from magical effects, and allows the person to manipulate magic. In mechanical terms, it provides a person with magic resist (10 free points worth, or 5 levels, which can be sold off as a disadvantage. This is a serious disadvatage!) or Improved Magic Resist, and for some lucky individuals, magery. Pretty much every living thing has one of these, as it's hard to survive without one, especially on the surface. Items that are old or handcrafted also get these, as do many inorganic land features.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:55:24 pm by Angle »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 12:02:04 am »

Just seeing if my old taxi is okay. :P
Is Cosmic Payload okay?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 12:05:31 am »

Sure. I was actually planning on having that be a relatively common thing - That most significant settlements would have a lot of that kind of thing going on.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 12:39:48 am »

Alright. My questions are done for now. It turns out that my old taxi works perfectly for this setting. :D

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 12:50:39 am »

There is very little in the way of human civilization, most of that being densely packed settlements. The main reason for this is the dangerous magical radiation, the occasional mana storms (rare occasions when the intensity of the radiation kicks up a hundred fold, usually accompanied by actual storms), and the mutated predators. What human settlements there are vary widely in tech level and magical capability, from desperate hovels to bastions of scientific or magical might. They all have in common some method of surviving the mana storms, be it powerful shielding or simply a deep hole.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 05:26:52 am »

Fun time, loom up the info and work out how to make my character.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 11:19:35 am »

Am I familiar with GURPS? In a word, yes.
In more words...well...I am very familiar indeed with GURPS. I know all the general rules and a fair number of the specifics.

like a dude who drives a taxi? Or an animate Taxi?
Something like that could probably be arranged, though I'd envisioned that one as being well past the date of the apocalypse, such that most everything from before was well and truly wrecked, and new societies had sprung up in their place.
He's a wreck of a taxi someone animated, which took on a life of its own after its creator's death?

Heres a basic storyline and a couple of details that should help you understand how the collapse came about. Go ahead and tell me what you think below, and feel free to ask questions.
In the future of our world, The Magic Came Back, or maybe just arrived for the first time, no ones quite sure about that. What they are sure about is that this was a catastrophe of unspeakable proportions. 99% of humanity died out in the first year from starvation, war, and predation.
The Event was an unbelievable release of magical energy that served to mutate many humans and other animals into monstrous forms, caused widespread disruption in weather patterns, and also rendered most machinery inoperable, due to magical interference. This led to widespread starvation and civil unrest.
Magical Interference: There is an ongoing rain of magical power from the sky. Unfortunately, this has the effect of causing random magical effects on anything that can't resist it. This very quickly makes anything vulnerable to it unrecognizable.
Etheric Identity: This is essentially a persons magical echo. It protects them from magical effects, and allows the person to manipulate magic. In mechanical terms, it provides a person with magic resist (10 free points worth, or 5 levels, which can be sold off as a disadvantage. This is a serious disadvatage!) or Improved Magic Resist, and for some lucky individuals, magery. Pretty much every living thing has one of these, as it's hard to survive without one, especially on the surface. Items that are old or handcrafted also get these, as do many inorganic land features.
Interesting.

Maybe you could combine your two ideas? Like, Earth's upper crust got shattered to bits by the Event and some of the bits got hit with mana that made them weightless?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34