Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Public challenge (completed): Defend against these tigermen  (Read 7959 times)

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Public challenge (with reward!!): Defend against these tigermen
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 01:22:41 am »

Ah, the balancing act of gameplay vs realism, a heated debate among many a game developer!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 01:33:01 am »

Dwarves dont need your traditional method cause they know how to make yeast grow on trees stones.

Hey, its your mod, not mine. Was just trying to be helpful. :P

(I actually had to scour 1600s cookbooks from project gutenburg to get the listed breadstarter. Pretty much every modern cookbook says "add active dry yeast" instead.)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 01:55:55 am »

Hey, its your mod, not mine. Was just trying to be helpful. :P
I meant nothing offensive. I have also looked back in the history of anything alcoholic (who use cookbooks for historic evidences anyway) and since alcohol production predate recorded history I'm free to be creative.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 02:03:12 am »

Knowledge of yeast is a fairly modern thing actually. Take for instance, the german purity laws governing beer making. It was only recently that yeast was added as a permissible ingredient.

The native wild yeasts of a certain province or country greatly determined if a brewery or a bakery could be established there.  The people didn't know why only certain places produced profoundly better breads or beers, only that this was the case. (Same with cheeses.)

It is only after the rennaisance that knowledge of germs, spores, and yeasts (as abstract concepts) start appearing. Before that, it was accepted as being miraculous, and or, spontaneous creation. This is why I had to find a 1600s cookbook for a reliable breadstarter. Really oldskool methods were "either it makes bread or it doesn't."

I just don't like the idea that old methods and traditional ways vanish because of obsolecense, and like to share the information I have been able to find, when appropriate.  This is. Game afterall, you can mod it however you wish, just as long as it stays fun. :P

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 02:21:19 am »

The thing with the stones is I need something that the player import to produce alcohol with. Preservation and cultivation of yeast isn't something of the medieval age, so I ended up with those green rocks that, when left in a bunches of fruits, yield alcohol. Such rocks probably cant be found in brewing scale IRL if they can be found at all but I dont think purple mushrooms are safe to consume IRL either.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 07:52:54 am »

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ad/Laccaria125353.jpg/320px-Laccaria125353.jpg
"Laccaria amethystina, commonly known as the Amethyst Deceiver is a small brightly colored, edible mushroom, that grows in deciduous as well as coniferous forests. Because its bright amethyst coloration fades with age and weathering, it becomes difficult to identify, hence the common name ‘Deceiver’."
Beautiful and edible!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 12:07:13 pm »

I did kinda loose the save...sry bout that :P

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5424

This is a while earlier, year 3, 5 tigermen.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 05:06:49 am »

I counted 18 tigermen kills. You didnt exactly use my worldgen and had a bit too much traps but the majorities of kills were in melee so I decided to look over that. A few points of note:
 + How that guy with a copper dagger got 2 kills is beyond me. Dagger isnt exactly a good combat weapon.
 + I had a good laugh when I read about that drunian attack in the early winter of your first year.
 + You have also abandoned an another fort when a mandrill stole (probably the only) axe with your first fort. Probably spawned with a herd of them on site. Tough luck.

So I guess I'd make a slowpoke creature? How about "Many civilizations has stories about a legendary slowpoke who has slain 18 white tigermen defending its turf. How such a far-fetched legend came into existence is beyond anyone's guess." for a description? And you can choose a meal for my cat if you want.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 09:02:07 am »

I counted 18 tigermen kills. You didnt exactly use my worldgen and had a bit too much traps but the majorities of kills were in melee so I decided to look over that. A few points of note:
 + How that guy with a copper dagger got 2 kills is beyond me. Dagger isnt exactly a good combat weapon.
 + I had a good laugh when I read about that drunian attack in the early winter of your first year.
 + You have also abandoned an another fort when a mandrill stole (probably the only) axe with your first fort. Probably spawned with a herd of them on site. Tough luck.

So I guess I'd make a slowpoke creature? How about "Many civilizations has stories about a legendary slowpoke who has slain 18 white tigermen defending its turf. How such a far-fetched legend came into existence is beyond anyone's guess." for a description? And you can choose a meal for my cat if you want.
Yea...This was kinda hard, but I like a challange :D
Would it be difficult to make a lightversion of this mod? Like having the increased number of beasts attacking you and the more realistic metal managment but still be able to make alcohol and keep the skillincrease of your dwarves? I dont know i'm not a "modder" But I'd really love to play this more then. :)
Slowpokes is what I had in mind so good guess there :P
Does your cat eat anything or does it have to involve fish? ::)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 11:49:14 am »

still be able to make alcohol and keep the skillincrease of your dwarves?
If you replace the plant_standard.txt with the vanilla's and delete all that skill rate definition in creature_standard then you'd get those features back. So far no one have agreed what a lite version should be hence I've decided never to make one. 'Side it wont be as hard with easy booze and wealth.

Does your cat eat anything or does it have to involve fish? ::)
It's up to you to decide. I've seen them eating leftover chicken, pork, beef, fish and the occasional cheese.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2012, 11:50:31 am »

Icecream and ketchup.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 06:52:06 pm »

While nasty, that's a good safe suggestion as long as the ketchup doesn't have onions or garlic.

Onions and garlic are seriously not good for cats, and cause heinz body anemia, a cumulative and progressive blood disorder.

http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/tarigo/index.php

Just make sure there is no propylene glycol in the icecream, and no onions or garlic in the ketchup.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 08:36:03 pm »

Unless the Intensifying Mod nerfs daggers (and knives, etc) to heck, I think daggers are actually decently good, being reminiscent of whips in their qualities.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 11:05:38 pm »

Unless the Intensifying Mod nerfs daggers (and knives, etc) to heck, I think daggers are actually decently good, being reminiscent of whips in their qualities.
My implementation of daggers penetrate all armors but not long enough to reach brain or heart:[ATTACK:EDGE:5:5:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:8000]

But then I noticed it still has a slashing component and despite being a horrendous slashing attack tigermen have no body armor so ya:[ATTACK:EDGE:1000:800:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1000]

Broseidon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 12:38:33 am »

Only problem i have with fortress defense is that when im on my 14th siege and i get 6 squads of tigermen 8 squads of frogs a goblin ambush or 2 and the obvious elven ambush because who likes elves?

Anyway is there anyway to get some of the civs to fight each other. I dont use traps that often(no more then 12 in total) don't use danger rooms.  I mean everybody loves fun now and then, but i feel there should at least be a chance to win.  I had like 60 axedwarves with 6 lords and 20 marksdwarves and got rolled.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4