Poll

Poll Closed

Poll Closed
- 0 (0%)
Poll Closed
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Let's Play Shadow President (A New Beginning)  (Read 3709 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Shadow President (A New Beginning)
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2023, 05:11:03 am »

Dang that's the first time the US has been nuked in one of these LPs, and with that WWIII has started.

Also what happens when an advisor dies, do you get a replacement eventually or are they just dead forever?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Tok'ra Operative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2023, 05:34:28 am »

Dang that's the first time the US has been nuked in one of these LPs, and with that WWIII has started.

Also what happens when an advisor dies, do you get a replacement eventually or are they just dead forever?
I really not sure. I do know there is a way to bring them back with universal game editor though not sure I should use that exploit at least not until next election which would be in 2000 or at least wait til the war is over.

Oh and heads-up. I'm fixing to move so there's a chance I will very soon have to put the current LP on hold. I've already backed up the saves and key screen captures onto a USB so we won't lose this LP. Of course don't let that stop you from starting up another RP or voicing suggestions for when I can resume.

Update: Furthermore I have the saved game just before Russia's initial attack which means at a later date after I win (hopefully) World War III, I could revert to that save and endeavor to get through the 90s to the millennium without a world war. For now though even I'm interested to see how far this conflict will go.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 03:26:45 pm by Tok'ra Operative »
"Let us build our billion-dollar machine, and we will save America from the barbarians at the gate." Senator Robert Kinsey, Stargate SG-1 episode "Politics"

Tok'ra Operative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2023, 07:20:55 pm »

January 1, 1997 - World At War

We have reached the year 1997. Unfortunately efforts to preserve the peace have failed when the Soviet Union launched a military attack against Germany followed by a limited nuclear strike against the United States within hours with the latter a being a result of the Russians not taking kindly to being threatened with military force in a botched ultimatum to convince them not to attack Germany. Millions of people throughout the United States and the rest of North America perished in the attack and the Third World War had begun. The United States immediately retaliated with multiple surgical strikes with most succeeding. Further strikes must be done sparingly as each one risks further escalation including a full-scale nuclear assault hundreds of even thousands of times worse then the initial strike. The Soviets launched a surgical strike against China which amazingly didn't provoke any response and they also staged a successful coup in Iran deposing their Supreme Leader and establishing yet another ally adjacent with Russia further complicating any future U.S. military action. Most notably the Soviet Union launched a full-scale invasion of Japan on New Year's Eve and U.S. Sponsored U.N. Resolution to stop the Russians was vetoed further demonstrating how useless the international organization was just like its predecessor the League of Nations was in the 1930s. The United States, South Korea, and Taiwan all joined in the conflict in defense of Japan. Tens of thousands of soldiers lost their lives in the early hours of the fighting with U.S. death toll alone exceeding 4,000. Taiwan has now reached the Top 15 on the NSA report and their nuclear program has already yielded results with the ROC detonating their first test bomb allowing them to take a step closer to being able to challenge the Red Chinese. The new General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party declared the scheduled handover of Hong Kong from the United Kingdom is to be unconditional and that his government is not obligated to keep the territory's market economy intact. U.S. Economy has suffered a serious blow as a result of the Soviet nuclear strikes as well as the total trade embargo America imposed against Russia. And it was also necessary to increase military spending despite the deficit with the increase limited only by making sure current GNP growth never exceeded projected. While a military invasion of the Soviet Union itself is unlikely while Japan remains under attack, other U.S. military action is being considered. While an invasion of Mexico is most ideal, the United States is still recovering and destruction of the cities of Dallas and Los Angeles means that supply chains will have been significantly disrupted. Ironically Mexico had suffered greater loss of life from the fallout then the United States has suffered during the actual attack and yet they're still allied with the Soviets at the start of 1997. I guess that's to be expected given Mexico's current ethics. Of course Cuba is worse since their high ambition makes them a sponsor for terrorism world-wide. Primary radioactive fallout which plagued North America at the start of the war appears to have dissipated however there have been spikes in radiation levels detected in a few countries around the world.

Start of 1997
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Initial U.S.-German Retaliation

Soviet Invasion of Japan

Additional Soviet Ops
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 08:54:35 pm by Tok'ra Operative »
"Let us build our billion-dollar machine, and we will save America from the barbarians at the gate." Senator Robert Kinsey, Stargate SG-1 episode "Politics"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2023, 03:38:54 am »

Waiting for an election to get a new guy makes since, also what do you miss out on with that guy dead, not really sure what he was good for.

Also good luck with the move.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2023, 03:43:39 pm »

Waiting for an election to get a new guy makes since, also what do you miss out on with that guy dead, not really sure what he was good for.

Also good luck with the move.
Depends on which advisor died, really. Some are kinda useless, whereas some are vital.

Tok'ra Operative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2023, 01:58:24 am »

June 1, 1997 - Seven Years Later

It is now mid-1997 (exactly 7 in-game years since the start of the current LP). The Third World War is ongoing with the Soviet Union still in the process of invading Japan. The United States has managed to slow the Russian onslaught however the enemy is still gradually gaining ground and both sides are suffering heavy losses with twice as many U.S. service members dying after only six months of war then during the entire Vietnam War. Soviet losses are also heavy though their military doctrine allows for heavy casualties in order to achieve military goals. On a positive note, Poland and Czechoslovakia are now both Democratic Capitalist meaning they will be joining the United States World Team Alliance at the start of 1998. As such U.S. leadership has decided to hold off until at least that time before launching an invasion of the Soviet Union assuming peace has not been restored by then. A majority of U.S. citizens now call for the utter destruction of the Soviet Union as retribution for the nuclear strikes on New York City and Dallas at the start of the war. While a massive nuclear assault would do just that in an instant, doing so would mean a certain full-scale nuclear strikes worse then the initial attack which would destroy America in turn. So the other option would be a military occupation. The Selective Service is now preparing a full military draft in order to call up sufficient personnel for prosecuting the war against Soviet forces and potentially their allies in all corners of the globe. The United States remains in a state of martial law with police state levels now "restricted". So far there have been no major combat with Mexico however one for their assassins did try to take me out but failed miserably and the U.S. retaliated with a surgical strike. As the Soviet Union has been focused on the invasion of Japan they have not yet deployed troops overseas to their new allies including Mexico which combined with the fallout wiping out a third of Mexico's military back in December '96 means that the U.S. can afford to deploy most its force overseas. An invasion of Mexico is still being considered. China has also been causing trouble again and has recently launched a surgical strike against Italy and while it failed I still retaliated by restricting trade and hitting back with a surgical strike. Also trade has been restricted with ALL Soviet allies because well their allies of the enemy  regardless if we're at war or not. As a result America's debt is now several hundred billion dollars however fortunately it is shrinking due to "Projected GNP Growth" being significantly larger then "Current GNP Growth". Unfortunately that could change should Russia successfully occupy Japan which would force me to restrict or close trade and drop my projected GNP to near current levels. This gives another reason why Japan must not fall. Military spending will in all likelihood be increased further in 1998 in order to increase capabilities of U.S. forces as well as provide enough military aid money to send to all allies adjacent to the Soviet Union. In an interesting turn of events, Iraq has shifted from Developing Centralism to Developing Capitalism - this happened in the aftermath of an assassination attempt against Saddam Hussein. This came as a surprise to many in the West who had assumed that a bad guy like Saddam would have certainly allied himself with the Russians instead of the United States. Iraq is also the first member of the Arab League to assume a pro-West ideology. Iraqi ambition and ethnics remain very bad and they will probably remain a formal rival until at least 1998 during which sanctions will remain in place, No-Fly Zones enforced, and U.N weapons inspectors will continue their work. Another surgical strike or two remains possible through the remainder of 1997.

Key Status and Maps

World War III

Saddam Hussein's Iraq Changes
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 03:26:52 am by Tok'ra Operative »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2023, 05:34:14 am »

Dang things are getting spicy, also sounds like it might be time to delete Mexico before they try to kill you again.

Tok'ra Operative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2023, 02:05:07 am »

World War III - Japan Successfully Defended
While the war appeared to be going badly for the United States and Japan with the U.S. suffering heavy military losses more then twice as bad as the entirety of the Vietnam War in only the course of 6-7 months, the United States Selective Service initiated a full draft program and throughout June deployed 360,000 additional troops the East Asian Front per week. Eventually U.S.-led allied forces outnumbered the Soviet Invaders and eventually the Russians lost over one million troops before the order was given to initiate an immediate withdrawal from Japan. As a result the United States won its first major victory in the Third World War and Japanese sovereignty has been preserved. Furthermore the former Warsaw Pact countries Poland, Czechoslovakia, and Hungary are now Democratic Capitalist and it is now projected they will formally join NATO and the U.S.A. Team Alliance at the start of 1998 providing the U.S. with nearly an additional million troops. We are still at war so we must continue to fight the Soviets wherever they may strike even if they strike against non-aligned nations.

U.S. Wins Battle For Japan

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2023, 08:15:06 am »

Awesome. Does the Soviet surrender in Japan mean World War III is over?
...did it end like World War II with Japan getting nuked?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2023, 04:42:39 pm »

I think it's worth mentioning that one question that Tok'ra Operative and I have discussed about Shadow President is the return of Hong Kong in 1997.
It's an interesting question, where the answer obviously is going to vary based upon the playthrough.
Tok'ra Operative is in a far better position to explain the technical issues in the Shadow President game.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the Hong Kong issue?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2023, 04:15:13 am »

I'd figure WWIII wouldn't be over for a while given the Soviets nuked two US cities.

I'm not sure about how the Hong Kong thing will go in this world, not sure if they'd hold onto it do to the whole WWIII thing or if they'd give it back.

Tok'ra Operative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2023, 05:14:08 am »

World War III - Invasion of Hong Kong

The scheduled handover of Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China was postponed with the British Prime Minister declaring that as long as China continued its aggressive actions against allied nations that the British people could not in good faith leave the fates of millions of British Overseas Territories citizens in the hand of the morally questionable Chinese Communist Party whose General Secretary had essentially already chosen to disregard the Sino-British Joint Declaration of 1984 and not abide by the One Party, Two Systems policy while declaring that the British were obligated unconditionally to return their territory. Correctly anticipating military action from the People's Liberation Army, the United Kingdom deployed reinforcements with Commonwealth realms members Australia, Canada, and New Zealand also dispatching troops. Also immediately following the time the handover was to happen, the Red Chinese began pouring troops into the city intending to take it by force since the British refused to return it voluntarily. Initially the Chinese appeared to have the upper hand in the fighting and seemed poised to take the city within a matter of days however the arrival of British and Commonwealth reinforcements as well as U.S. military intervention on behalf of the British has prevented an easy victory for China. Despite being outnumbered nearly 6 to 1, British-Commonwealth-American forces clearly have the edge in battle due to having higher defense budgets and more money spent per soldier then the Red Chinese. Within a month of fighting, the overall death toll was in the hundreds of thousands with an overwhelming majority of casualties being among Chinese invasion forces. The Battle of Hong Kong is considered to be a part of World War III which had not concluded despite a decisive victory when U.S. forces had driven the Russians from Japanese soil. To pronounce on this, the United States has conducted a number of surgical strikes against the Soviet Union. The President of the United States confirmed the continuation of war while declaring that status quo ante bellum was an unacceptable outcome for the war due to the fact the initial Soviet nuclear strikes against Dallas and New York had killed millions of innocent American civilians.

Chinese Invasion of Hong Kong

« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 05:18:04 am by Tok'ra Operative »

Tok'ra Operative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2023, 02:37:13 am »

World War III - Victory In Hong Kong, Assassins, and Year of War

British, Commonwealth, and American forces won a decisive victory over the Red Chinese in Hong Kong after nearly two months of battle. China lost nearly over three-quarters of a million troops in their failed attempt to take the city by force when the United Kingdom decided to postpone the handover due to the ongoing Third World War and China's own role in that conflict. And since China attempted to take the city by force, British Hong Kong will remain British indefinitely there by preserving the British Empire. The United States continued frequent surgical strikes against the Soviet Union with several cancelled due to Soviet threats to retaliate with "all means at their disposal". The C.I.A. even attempted to assassinate the Supreme Chancellor of the Soviet Union as retribution for his role in the nuclear strikes against the United States on the first day of the war. While the attempt failed, the move was very popular with the American people. China also attempted to assassinate the U.S. President but this too also failed and the United States retaliated with multiple surgical strikes. It is now currently December 2nd, 1997 one year to the day since the start of the Third World War with the initial Soviet surgical strike against Germany as the starting point for the conflict but quickly escalated with a limited nuclear strikes against Dallas and New York, the U.S. formally declaring war on the Soviet Union, and finally a full-scale invasion of Japan which became thus far the bloodiest conventional battle of the war with both U.S. and Soviet forces suffering losses greater then they had in Vietnam and Afghanistan respectively.

Hong Kong Victory

U.S. Failed Assassination Of Soviet Leader

Failed Chinese Assassination Of U.S. President

One Year Into World War III
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 02:40:31 am by Tok'ra Operative »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2023, 02:58:06 am »

I like that the game includes people liking you attempting to kill the soviet leader.

Tok'ra Operative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2023, 09:17:17 am »

World War III - Barbarians At The Gates

We have now reached 1998 and while it appeared America would soon be poised to invade the Soviet Union to force their unconditional surrender and end the Third World War, there have been some last minute complications. The Russian KGB has successfully sponsored a coup d'état resulting in pro-Soviet Imperialist government seizing power in Canada the day after Christmas. Furthermore the Soviet Union and some of their allies have deployed troops to Canada and Mexico effectively surrounding the United States. At the end of 1997 it appeared America was vulnerable to invasion due to all active duty personnel being deployed overseas with only a few thousand being stationed in island territories "adjacent" to the United States being available for defense. This however changed at the start of 1998 when United States military manpower nearly doubled. While it may be tempting to send most of those troops overseas as well, Mexico too had a manpower boost and now has over two million troops which augmented by Soviet forces already deployed in the region presents a clear and present danger to the United States. There is a possibility the planned invasion of the Soviet Union may need to be postponed until the Soviet foothold in North America can be dealt with which unfortunately means this war will be continuing longer then expected and any form of status quo ante bellum remains unacceptable. Japan's economy is still suffering from the invasion the previous year and now the Soviets appear to have their sights on France. America remains in debt though it is still slowly shrinking. Unfortunately I was forced to slash Social and Investment spending by $50 billion each to allow additional Defense spending without having current GNP growth exceed projected. Despite having switched to Developing Capitalist, Saddam Hussein's Iraq did not join the United States Team Alliance most likely due to their ambition level and because of that they remain a state sponsor for terrorism. On the bright side, Taiwan is now in a much better position to challenge China as they now have regional nuclear capabilities. Nationalist India also has regional nuclear capabilities and while they aren't really my ally per say and kinda rated as competition, they do present another challenge for China. Oh and with China's defeat in Hong Kong and still being under a U.S. economic embargo, they have once again lost Great Power status and less of a military threat. Their ambition remains topped off however so they could very easily still cause problems.

Key Primary Status

Primary World Maps

Key Regional Maps

U.S.A. and Soviet Troop Deployments

Manpower Updates For 1998

Primary Wartime Troop Availability for 1998

Canadian Coup and America Surrounded (just before 1998 manpower update

« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 04:32:55 am by Tok'ra Operative »
Pages: 1 [2] 3