Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How would one enter sewers?  (Read 1554 times)

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How would one enter sewers?
« on: March 24, 2013, 02:06:35 pm »

I get quests for delving into the sewers regularly but I am unable to find entrances.

I see plenty of grates but there seems to be no way to get into them.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: How would one enter sewers?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:21:14 pm »

Yeah, that is a bit misleading. Grates like you find in the street actually don't open. You have to find a temple inside a town that has a sewer, which usually has an entrance to the sewer and the dungeon as well.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 06:54:33 pm »

Yeah, that is a bit misleading. Grates like you find in the street actually don't open. You have to find a temple inside a town that has a sewer, which usually has an entrance to the sewer and the dungeon as well.
Temples have catacombs, which are very dangerous.  If you enter the keep in the center of town and enter the dungeon, it's not so much.  Explore thoroughly and you will find the sewers.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:00:16 pm »

If you're in travel mode, you should see a list of buildings.  If you travel around the city a bit, you should see "sewers" or "sewer entrance."

Go out of travel mode and a small pit should be nearby, usually tucked between a few buildings.  Tada, the sewers.  No catacombs or nothin.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 07:33:35 pm »

If you're in travel mode, you should see a list of buildings.  If you travel around the city a bit, you should see "sewers" or "sewer entrance."

Go out of travel mode and a small pit should be nearby, usually tucked between a few buildings.  Tada, the sewers.  No catacombs or nothin.
Oh yeah, that too.  I think it's time I played adventure mode again cuz I'm forgetting stuff.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 11:20:56 pm »

fast-travel on the mini-map around town until a "sewer entrance" landmark appears. If you cannot find one but can see grates then its likely the entrance is from a river under-water; you can find it by following the grates to a river or lake. You have 1 of 2 options if this is the case; you can either mod the raws for your character's race and add the [AMPHIBIOUS] token or try to find a vampire and drink his blood so you no longer need to breathe. In my experience its very common for sewers to be completely underwater with no airs spaces above and sometimes even multiple Z levels of water that would drown any air-breathing creature regardless of swimming level.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 02:47:15 am »

Most everything i would say has been said, except for one thing.

Sewer quests are friggin awful.

HandofCreation0

• Bay Watcher
  • 3D Artist and Ca Calne Fan
    • View Profile
    • HandofCreation0's DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 03:23:07 pm »

I find there can be several different entrances to sewers, they can be entered thru a river entrance (better be a damn good swimmer or you WILL drown!), a single stairway down with no identifying structures, or a small carved stairway into the main entrance.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! Please take a number; the Forgotten Beast will be with you shortly!

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 09:06:32 pm »

I find there can be several different entrances to sewers, they can be entered thru a river entrance (better be a damn good swimmer or you WILL drown!), a single stairway down with no identifying structures, or a small carved stairway into the main entrance.

I just realized that sewers are going to become deathtraps should disease from sewage ever be properly implemented.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 11:33:55 am »

They already are a deathtrap if you are not leaving breadcrumbs while exploring sewer in large city.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 02:19:30 pm »

They already are a deathtrap if you are not leaving breadcrumbs while exploring sewer in large city.

Breadcrumbs? Like dropping seeds on the floor every once in a while?

Now that's an idea!
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.