Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 393

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2952435 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5715 on: December 20, 2023, 06:16:55 am »

Will it be possible for modders to mod in their own custom procedurally generated portaits (for example, for a modded in race)?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: December 20, 2023, 09:03:13 pm »

I hope so, but god do I dread having to draw even more sprites. Ive just been tracing over top of the vanilla ones where possible out of shear laziness.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: December 20, 2023, 09:20:48 pm »

The walrus man is described as "A legless person with the head and back flippers of a walrus" and has the tag ANIMAL_PERSON_LEGLESS, but in the new sprites clearly has legs. It's the same with the elephant seal man (but not the leopard seal man or harp seal man...). The snail man is kind of the opposite, it should have legs but it's sprite shows it as legless.

Are the animal people going to be updated to match their sprites or is that just not an important detail to you?

For what it's worth I like all three of these changes (snails shouldn't have legs!), but it will be strange when a legless looking snail man gets his legs broken or kicks you.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: December 22, 2023, 06:53:23 pm »

The latter sounds like snail men ought to just gain the ANIMAL_PERSON_LEGLESS tag.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: December 24, 2023, 10:46:05 pm »

A snail person should have exactly one leg

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: December 24, 2023, 11:53:54 pm »

the new sprites clearly has legs.

They're just really beefy flippers.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: December 27, 2023, 01:23:42 pm »

Has working on Premium Adventure Mode allowed you to make any progress towards restoring the keyboard cursor in Fortress Mode?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: December 28, 2023, 03:29:09 pm »

Has working on Premium Adventure Mode allowed you to make any progress towards restoring the keyboard cursor in Fortress Mode?
There's already a keyboard cursor option that you can enable in fortress mode (I believe as far back as 50.01).

If you mean additional keyboard controls... I suspect no fortress mode keyboard controls are coming along "for free" as part of the adv mode work, but I do know Putnam has been working on some significant UI backend/framework improvements that may make keyboard support (in both modes) easier to develop in the long run. (One nearer-term goal here is to make native searching/sorting features easier to develop as well.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: December 28, 2023, 07:11:29 pm »

Any recent programming discoveries/new approaches since Putnam joined?

Has there been any movement towards automating game tests before releases?
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: December 29, 2023, 01:02:00 am »

In terms of the keyboard cursor, it would be *fantastic* if the cursor overrode the mouse hover and described the tile it was sitting on.  At the moment, if you use the keyboard cursor, you can't tell what it's over without moving the mouse there -- which basically makes the keyboard cursor meaningless.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: December 30, 2023, 06:50:41 pm »

I remember in an interview earlier this year that you said you may sneak in small additions related to future content as you continue the updates at hand. Is there any chance next year after adventure mode comes out, we get another magical side activity like the divination dice?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: December 31, 2023, 03:16:46 pm »

did you get any cool christmas presents?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: December 31, 2023, 06:10:50 pm »

When you get to the map rewrite, how far do you intend to go to change the current system of mining? Right now a large number of tiles cleared do not drop stone. This practically annoying when you mine an ore vein and see a large number of tiles not drop ore. This seems like a quick fix for something you intent to overhaul later.

I could see a couple dwarves mining and another dwarf loading a mine cart and taking the unwanted rubble out of the mine.  We already have mine carts!!! We already have dumping zones too. You might have to tweak how quantum stockpiling works, but it could be done. Quantum stockpiling also seems like a quick fix that will be overhauled later.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 06:33:39 pm by Randomizer »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: December 31, 2023, 11:34:41 pm »

We used to have that actually, legendary miners had a 100% chance of getting a boulder from every tile. It was changed to a flat 25% except for small clusters and individual tiles (which still yield 100%) iirc for balancing reasons, because that was a lot of stone.
I make Spellcrafts!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: January 01, 2024, 04:32:16 am »

The mining yield is a balancing issue rather than a map issue, and has been addressed once, as mentioned by Eric Blank.

The map rewrite may well change the vein/cluster/... logic, in particular to generate a 3D connection (so several levels build up a body or ore, rather than the current logic where each Z level is generated independently of the other levels within the same layer. Such a change would probably result in in more tiles of ore for the kinds that are selected, but fewer kinds would likely be generated (basically larger but fewer bodies of ore, potentially resulting in about the same number of ore tiles in total)). This might potentially result in a balancing change.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 393