Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 943957 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7680 on: June 20, 2014, 04:35:54 pm »

What exactly has chucklefish done?  Did they cancel development or something?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: June 20, 2014, 04:48:30 pm »

No. They banned people, apologized and unbanned some.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: June 20, 2014, 04:49:00 pm »

Fair enough I guess.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: June 20, 2014, 04:49:56 pm »

Now some drama from over there seem to have slipped over here.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: June 20, 2014, 05:12:12 pm »

They have never accomplished anything in their lives, yet they try to attack others who are brave enough to share publicly.

::) Quite the generalization. Do you feel like you're better than all people or just most people?

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: June 20, 2014, 05:31:11 pm »

Now some drama from over there seem to have slipped over here.

In most cases I'd agree with you. However, since Starbound is an early access game, what they're selling at the end of the day is the confidence that the dev team will deliver a quality finished product down the road. I think it's completely fair to discuss whether Chucklefish is on the right track.

/ Said as someone who thinks Chucklefish is having some growing pains and just needs to step back and reassess for a moment
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: June 20, 2014, 05:35:45 pm »

Well small steps are still steps.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: June 20, 2014, 06:15:43 pm »

I kinda think they've gone backwards, actually. In the last AMA Tiy said something along the lines of "we're probably just not going to engage with the customers anymore and try to reconnect after release." so.....

I really haven't seen any positive change since the Starbound debut where no one had scripts or bothered to plan out any presentation at all beyond "Uh, here's our game and stuff. It's kinda broken but in the future it's gonna be so much better!" And here we are many months later with almost exactly the same skeleton they had back then, plus a handful of broken systems and lots of unicorn dreams. I can't think of a single system they've "previewed" since December that's actually in the game now.

It would be completely different if I'd seen... basically anything proving progress, but I don't think inability to finish 1 new weapon type in 6 months bodes well for completely redoing the core systems from the ground up by the end of the year.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: June 21, 2014, 12:55:42 am »

So as I understand, the game did not live up to the completely out-of-control hype that I've seen in this thread before?

How unexpected.
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: June 21, 2014, 01:02:48 am »

It's past that point. I've seen games with smaller budgets and dev teams make more progress towards a finished product in half the time they've had since the initial release. The hype's a problem, but not the only one -- see the fact that they haven't got their shit together (and in very visible ways, too). I'm torn between thinking that they should have waited 'til they had a finished build, though, because thanks to unpaid playteste-uh, prepurchasers, core gameplay mechanics have been completely overhauled multiple times due to being complete shit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: June 21, 2014, 02:42:33 am »

Oh god. Unpaid testers. Did you buy the game, knowing it wasn't done? Yes. Then calling yourself unpaid tests, is asinine.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: June 21, 2014, 03:07:02 am »

Indeed. I don't think the game is still out of the... well, probably even the first step of the beta they outlined way back when.
The point is though, with how successful they were to this point, they should have been far further along than that by now.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: June 21, 2014, 03:17:47 am »

Indeed. I don't think the game is still out of the... well, probably even the first step of the beta they outlined way back when.
The point is though, with how successful they were to this point, they should have been far further along than that by now.

Based on, the copy of their source code, their design document, and access to their day planner?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: June 21, 2014, 03:38:22 am »

Based on, the copy of their source code, their design document, and access to their day planner?
No, mostly based on their progress compared to the progress of other projects I've seen within a similar timeframe. It's been how long since they started the beta? I'm sitting on the unstable branch in Steam, and I haven't seen an update in forever. I've no idea what they're doing over there, and personally I don't care what they are doing, but they're not doing too good on the progress front. OpenXCom - a free, volunteer-driven project - went through two major stable versions inbetween the last update of Starbound and now. No matter what the actual, behind-the-scenes progress is, since we have no idea what it actually is, the progress on the game feels too slow.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: June 21, 2014, 08:06:48 am »

Who cares about OpenXcom. If we compare it to Drwarf Fortress, its going super duper fast. They're different projects.

Just because, there are similar verbs in appearance in Starbound as in Terraria  doesn't really mean anything besides, they're conceptually similar.

They could be executed wholly different from each other, and there maybe, and probably host of issues of the intended scale of the project, and its overall reliance on rng to make everything, that make it alien to terria more so then it it similar.

If anything, the five month period between announcement to release, should show that Terraria is rather shallow. Or done, rather poorly. Or both.

Or maybe, Terraria 2 is taking ground, and they're gearing up for a release for that.

Or maybe the nightly releases, started on sunday, kinda make this whole internet wankery, wholly assine and exercise in futility, trying to make judgement from places of absolute ignorance.
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 565