Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 943917 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8010 on: July 22, 2014, 06:39:30 am »

I can't see anything controversial in Tiy's post.

They screwed up the horsetits thing so now people seem to be reading malice in things that probably don't contain malice.

Who said anything about malice?

Tiy said something dumb and people are going: "Really Tiy... Really now? what we got could be considered the full version if not for you constantly injecting more content in the full release?"

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: July 22, 2014, 07:18:56 am »

Malice was the wrong word, yeah. But people seem to be reading it overly cynically IMO, as if Tiy was implying extra features are a bonus privilege. I diddn't pick that up from the post at all.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: July 22, 2014, 07:51:29 am »

As Starbound stands, our sharing of our future plans aside, it could leave early access and be an entirely reasonable stand alone game. The huge number of hours people have poured into it is a testament to that, given that the games purpose is to provide entertainment.

...an entirely reasonable stand alone game...

monsters and NPC's are immune to any kind of trap you can make except the always-on gun turrets. Wiring can a) open doors and b) close doors.

Without mods, that's it.
2 years of development

...I feel 1.0 is an arbitrary release number...

Seriously?
._.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: July 22, 2014, 07:57:13 am »

Just checked out some feedback from the nightly builds, in the current nightly 100% of carried ores and ingots drop as well as 40% pixels when you die, while your ores may be recoverable if you are not too far from spawn and if you don't take to long to reach them pixels are still permanently lost.

I may just have to delete this game from my library if changes like this are the direction they want to take.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: July 22, 2014, 08:12:34 am »

I think they just havn't hit their strive yet NullForceOmega.

They know death has to have some penalty and that even now, once you get ores going, death stops having any sort of meaning (early game a pixil penalty basically means an extra hour of grinding maybe more)

The problem is that the game doesn't really give you many alternatives that don't amount to "spend extra hours playing the game". Losing all your ores and ingots after death would be mild if the game had good ore abundance in the first few layers, but as the game goes on you NEED to basically go to hell in order to get those rare ores.

So right now they are seeing what death penalty is appropriate.

My personal opinion is that they should instead first see if they can make exploring less of a one way ticket... Since this death penalty basically makes you play it safe... in a game that already takes WAY TOO LONG!

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: July 22, 2014, 08:17:32 am »

His comments are only within the context of the game itself, you have to ignore development time, planned features etc.

Think what would happen if this game were to suddenly appear on steam, and nobody had ever heard of it beforehand (no controversy, no planned features etc). It would probably be regarded as a fairly decent, if flawed game. It would certainly be better than a bunch of other $15 games.

I would have certainly got my $15 out of it at least.

It also doesn't seem to me he has any illusions that the game is 1.0. For example:

We’ve chosen to keep upping the ante for 1.0, but that absolutely doesn’t mean that what’s available and playable right now is any less a game

Seems to differentiate between the 1.0 version and the "right now" version.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: July 22, 2014, 08:20:31 am »

Make one mistake and people will haunt you forever.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: July 22, 2014, 08:24:28 am »

Make one mistake and people will haunt you forever.
Especially if it's about a super hyped game which hasn't hit 1.0 after 2 years of development.

Compare that to Terraria's half-year to get 1.0 which, amidst other things, had a clear sense of progression. Which Starbound lacks. Seriously, space axes and space swords?
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: July 22, 2014, 08:25:10 am »

Think what would happen if this game were to suddenly appear on steam, and nobody had ever heard of it beforehand (no controversy, no planned features etc). It would probably be regarded as a fairly decent, if flawed game. It would certainly be better than a bunch of other $15 games.

Dear goodness I hope not.

Since as it is, it is just grinding, grinding, and more grinding... with very little glue holding the game together. It is just one big lump of a boring experience...

it would be called "Terraria in space, except not as good".

The 15 dollar games "not as good" as it would have to be GARBAGE! since I've seen a bunch of better 5 dollar games better than Starbound's current status.

Except let me guess "But I have 200 hours in Starbound and only 20 in Cavestory. That means Starbound is better".
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:27:06 am by Neonivek »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: July 22, 2014, 08:52:13 am »

Ok am i a dieing breed because for me 1.0 mean feature AND content-complete-ready-to-be-shipped? You cant mess with 1.0... they already messed up the beta-alpha naming convention ( by they i mean most of indie company not just chucklefish).
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:08 am »

I just hope that this game comes to fruition in the way that was promised, however they plan to get it there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:16 am »

Ok am i a dieing breed because for me 1.0 mean feature AND content-complete-ready-to-be-shipped? You cant mess with 1.0... they already messed up the beta-alpha naming convention ( by they i mean most of indie company not just chucklefish).

No I am with you. Version 1.0 should be the version that you would sell on CD... not "well its playable!"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: July 22, 2014, 09:02:57 am »

No I am with you. Version 1.0 should be the version that you would sell on CD... not "well its playable!"

I feel 1.0 is an arbitrary release number

UGH. I mean really. 1.0 IS what you print on a CD/DVD and stick in a box on a shelf. WTF are they thinking?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: July 22, 2014, 09:12:17 am »

I feel 1.0 is an arbitrary release number

UGH. I mean really. 1.0 IS what you print on a CD/DVD and stick in a box on a shelf. WTF are they thinking?
Terraria v1.2 would disagree with you. And the following updates, even moreso. Game development does not end with 1.0. 1.0 is just what you release as a working game, in which case it's a "1.0" by virtue of being the first proper release. As a version number, it matters only to games that follow the standard game design conventions - which means that you don't get to even try the game prior to 1.0, unless you're a tester. For early access games, indie games, any games in constant development, there is no "stick it on a shelf", no "going gold". Nowadays you'll only see this sort of thing from the big development studios. If even then.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: July 22, 2014, 09:14:29 am »

I don't think we can equate 1.0 to anything other than a finished release, indie or not >.>
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 565