Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 10 Turns II: Six Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion  (Read 3833 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
10 Turns II: Six Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion
« on: April 08, 2024, 06:24:13 pm »

You, heroes each and every one, have gathered in the Sacred Capital of Avalon, the greatest, most wondrous metropolis of the medieval age, with a single mission: to fortify the city by any means necessary! Prophecy holds that ten months from now, the Fiendlord, who has already conquered much of the land, will invade Avalon. If not stopped, he will slay the inhabitants, snuff out the Heart of Light, and rule the globe forevermore! Only your preparations, supplemented by Avalon's modest army, can stop him!

It is now March. Being possessed of a one-track mind, you may only perform one action per month. What do you do?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 11:48:30 am by Elephant Parade »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Turns II: Ten Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 07:08:34 pm »

Research magical means of beating back the Fiendlord.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 08:10:11 pm »

Train my psionic powers to get even stronger
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 09:03:38 pm »

Research the Fiendlord themself, their history and especially any emotional motivations they may have, any sign they have ever respected or valued or wanted anything outside of the obvious conquest.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 09:31:56 pm »

Quest for allies!  Hunt for the legendary swordsman of Kerr, to stand by our side in the fatal battle.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024, 12:34:36 am »

Build a laser cannon, using mirrors to direct the BOUNDLESS POWER OF THE SUN to melt the tar holding the enemy's ship together!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 05:40:20 pm »

- March -
Ten Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion

Research magical means of beating back the Fiendlord.
(2) Avalon's libraries are vast and Bridges' goal is not very specific! He makes little progress. A librarian takes pity on him and offers to introduce him to a sage specializing in whatever he's interested in.

Train my psionic powers to get even stronger
(4) On the 31st of March, every day of which he spent in fasting and meditation, Black conquers his own psyche and enters the Fifth Noosphere! Few techniques are beyond him now.

Research the Fiendlord themself, their history and especially any emotional motivations they may have, any sign they have ever respected or valued or wanted anything outside of the obvious conquest.
(4) Forty years ago, on the opposite end of the continent, the Fiendlord was born. The first child of the king, he would have inherited the throne had he not been born under a cursed star; instead, he was exiled at ten. At twenty, he returned with a legion of fiends and took it by force. He hasn't lost a battle since that day.

Quest for allies!  Hunt for the legendary swordsman of Kerr, to stand by our side in the fatal battle.
(5) Deep in the desert wastes, Devastator finds him living in seclusion: the Nameless Blade of Kerr! "The final notch on my blade shall be the Fiendlord himself," he declares, setting off for Avalon at once.

Build a laser cannon, using mirrors to direct the BOUNDLESS POWER OF THE SUN to melt the tar holding the enemy's ship together!
(1) Egan's experimental laser cannon ends up melting a section of the city wall, followed by itself. Oops! The Avalonian Council subsequently outlaws lasers.

Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Defenses (click to show/hide)

Intel: The Fiendlord is served by the Six Great Fiends: the Eternal Skull, Ceph; the Last Titan, Typhon; the Deathbringer, Orcus; the Dark Angel, Lucifer; the Master of Arms and Armies, Marilith; and a sixth who has never been seen. Each Great Fiend is served in turn by six Major Fiends, and each Major Fiend six Minor Fiends. The remainder of the Fiendlord's army is made up of undead, beasts, and slaves.

It is now April. Nine months remain. What do you do?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Turns II: Nine Months Until the Fiendlord's Invasion
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024, 05:57:35 pm »

Romance and redeem Lucifer (I can fix him!)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 06:00:56 pm »

I create a psionic amplifier of nearly unfathomable power that can still be conveniently concealed on my person.  Also, if I have time, I train a few psionic assassins to augment our defenses. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2024, 06:15:55 pm »

Having gotten confused on the way and traveled to a very different Avalon initially, I now return with a platoon of small, intelligent and fluffy four-eared space raptors wielding rapid-fire railguns in tow.
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2024, 07:21:51 pm »

Travel to and infiltrate the Fiendlord's army, seeking a leadership position.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 05:28:52 am by ZBridges »

Megam0nkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 09:21:15 pm »

Begin the ritual chanting to bring back the accursed armies of the Dead! for the side of good of course, totally wont conquer the heroes afterwards.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 10:29:43 pm by Megam0nkey »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 10:37:48 pm »

Start training up some more soldiers.  A mere thousand shouldn't be asked to defend the whole of this great city alone!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2024, 11:39:38 pm »

(4) Forty years ago, on the opposite end of the continent, the Fiendlord was born. The first child of the king, he would have inherited the throne had he not been born under a cursed star; instead, he was exiled at ten. At twenty, he returned with a legion of fiends and took it by force. He hasn't lost a battle since that day.

How fruitful.

Research further into his life, looking for love interests, friends, notable companions, allies, pets, does this person have a known human side?  Has anyone ever, that is known, offered them any kindness, anything but a bum deal?  If so, who, how, and how did the Fiendlord react?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2024, 12:51:59 am »

Start digging a moat around the outside of the city walls.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: [1] 2 3