Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 651706 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, here's a question for Pokémon Go players...

I'm currently level 13, and nowhere near the level I'd need to be to be competitive in the local gyms (They're mostly full of 1500+ mons, my strongest is 460).

Now, I have a ton of Pidgeys and Rattatas etc. saved up, along with a couple lucky eggs. Everything I need to do a big exp rush. However. I've heard some horror stories about the higher levels, how it gets much harder to catch anything and you burn through Pokéballs much quicker (a concern since there's only 2-3 stops in easy walking distance for me).

Given that I'm much more interested in the collecting aspect than the competitive angle, should I be concerned about that trade-off? I'm not convinced I want to rush ahead to try to get higher-level mons and then find I've made the part of the game I actually enjoy... harder to enjoy. I might just be being silly though.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile

Come on the new mon is not that bad
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

At least it isn't trubbish.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Speaking of new, new announcements.  Sandcastle pokemon gets +2 defense when hit by a water attack.  Another Donald Trump pokemon.  There are a lot of cheap pun names in pokemon but Crabrawler sounds like they cornered a guy on the street and said "quick, name a pokemon as fast as you can!"
Shoes...

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At least it isn't trubbish.
Hmm, yes. I guess if every Pokémon was as lovely and charming as Trubbish it could eventually become overwhelming. :-\

Speaking of new, new announcements.  Sandcastle pokemon gets +2 defense when hit by a water attack.  Another Donald Trump pokemon.  There are a lot of cheap pun names in pokemon but Crabrawler sounds like they cornered a guy on the street and said "quick, name a pokemon as fast as you can!"
Those sandcastles are everything I hoped and dreamed they would be.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Well, those are certainly- Wait.

Does Stufle really have a tag? Or is that just a white block extruding from its asshole? Because I thought that it was a kind of wild bear or something. Not a stuffed animal that knows kung-fu.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I am glad all the announced pokemon SO FAR seem to all have a purpose with very few of them falling into the "useless pile of garbage why did you even bother?" category.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

Well, those are certainly- Wait.

Does Stufle really have a tag? Or is that just a white block extruding from its asshole? Because I thought that it was a kind of wild bear or something. Not a stuffed animal that knows kung-fu.

Kung-Fu Ruxpin is the best idea I've heard in a long time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, here's a question for Pokémon Go players...

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
You do burn through Pokeballs faster at higher levels, if only because you run into high-level 'mons more often. And I don't think encounter diversity is connected to level, although now that I think about it I might have started seeing more evolved forms the higher level I got.

Just anecdata, though. And a little out of date, since I got bored with it and stopped playing about 2 weeks ago.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

If you want rarer pokemon sooner, the key seems to be hatching eggs. I've gotten plenty of things that I've never seen before just by hatching eggs, cool stuff like Ponyta and Squirtle.

I'm only level 10 and still nowhere close to competing in gyms. I hear that level 20 is when you start seeing level 1000+ mons in the wild, and I only level up once every couple of days now. All the gyms are held by 1000-1500 mons from level 20 trainers, so I have nothing to do except catch Eevees and make the rounds of all the pokestops. It's getting pretty tedious, I feel like I should be able to do something more by now.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

I hate to say it, but powering up pokemon before level 15 or so is probably inefficient.  Certainly not the end of the world though, and it did let me take on some weaker gyms solo at level 13.  Burned through a lot of potions and revives, but I was throwing potions away for space.  Wasn't really "worth it", XP-wise, and I only got a handful of dimes worth of credit...  But it was fun though.

With careful dodging and spending items I was taking on 1000-12000 mons with 500-600 mons.  Keeping in mind that you get 6, and many gyms will just have 1-3, and you only need to defeat 1 to de-level the gym a little.  And you can get a dime by taking a gym then immediately cashing in for the day, if you (like me) aren't likely to hold several at once.

Also, and coming from Ingress I found this amazing, *you can team up against a gym*.  Your friend even shows up on the battlescape!  The defender doesn't have to split its attacks (each attack targets all attacking pokemon), so it's actually not as advantageous as it sounds, but it goes a *lot* faster which is helpful.

So I don't regret powering up my favorite pokemon really, it was worth it just to experience gyms.  But the more effective thing is to power level yourself.  That means capturing lots of pokemon and hatching eggs.  Then when you can't hold back, pop a lucky egg for 30 minutes of double XP, then do as many evolutions as you can.  (I did so while walking with incense, with three eggs about to hatch, just to make best use of my precious lucky egg.  I haven't seen one drop from a stop, just leveling and the store).

Sad note:  You don't get any bonus experience for unlocking a new pokedex entry via evolution.  Apparently you have to find a wild one to get the bonus :/  It's just the same 500XP as evolving a pidgey, though, so meh.  The crappy thing about that is there's not much reason to do the expensive tier 3 evolutions, though.  It makes more sense to make a bunch of metapods than to hold out for a butterfree.

Butterfree and beedrill aren't even especially good, that I can tell.  Whereas vaporeons are deadly as heck for being so easy to acquire.  The gyms up here are fricken full of vaporeon, gyrados, sometimes flareons.  Only slightly exaggerating.  And oddly I have better luck taking on the vaporeons with my own, than I do with my jolteon...

Level is kinda everything.  It determines how much you can power up a pokemon, but also makes powering-up obsolete by letting you find better ones for free, and unlocks the good potions and balls (which drop from pokestops quite commonly).

I'm not worried about the pokemon getting harder to capture, though.  Farming strong balls and berries in Go is SO EASY compared to Ingress.  In Ingress, harvesting a location 5 times would make it "burn out" for several hours.  Rare items would increase this limit.  Yes, we spent rare items in order to keep farming a high-level portal for over half an hour, because 3 (ideally 8) max-level people had to capture and hold it for it to be worth farming.  Whereas in Go you can literally park next to three portals all day long.  Not that it'll take all day, at ~18 items every 5 minutes.  (I prefer to walk along a circuit though.  More efficient, incubates eggs, more fun)
tldr: back in my day we had to farm uphill both ways

Also I'm only (just recently) level 17 so meh, but my dad's 19 and it isn't that much tougher to capture on his phone (he was driving).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Well, if you want top-tier, IVs are a thing. Not all pokemon are created equal, and there's a spreadsheet for IV calculations floating around somewhere on r/thesilphroad

But IVs will only give you so much, but if you're hardcore about getting the absolute best, starting pokemon level doesn't matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Yeah the IVs are neat but it only looks like a ~10% difference at the max, generally much less?
Move sets seem more important, but I think those are completely random on evolution (whereas you can evolve based on IV).

Also farming is hard if you don't live in a city.  It's kinda ridiculous how hard it is to play in a rural area, I hope they address that.  Eggs help but... still.  Pokemon, or unusual ones, should actually be more common in rural areas if you ask me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

What really matters is CP potential. Most of the pokemon I'm catching seem to have a maximum CP of 600-700, even after evolving. It's pretty lame considering you're spending thousands of stardust to get the last drop of power in.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Don't spend your stardust if that's all you can get out of it.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 463