Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1168627 times)

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #960 on: June 11, 2011, 03:36:04 pm »

Snip
Will houses have windows? Expanding on that, is there a chance that something like an adventurer openable curtain item might be included, allowing surprise sun attacks on vampires?

Light only shines straight down in DF, and that's not likely to change anytime soon.
-snip
I was thinking something along the lines of a cheap light workaround. The properties of windows might be altered in such a way that it checks for light around each side and projects it 'x tiles in that direction' or something to that effect. I realize it was a bit of a longshot and bordering on a suggestion, but it feels like we're getting close to the expansion or even fix for some of the light-related issues. Toady could ignore it at this minute, but he's kind of jumping around and getting larger swaths of fixes of varying degrees in and at this moment light is a logical next step with light-related syndromes and night creatures.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 11, 2011, 04:10:52 pm »

Sometimes creatures will get knocked unconscious by blows to the head, independent of pain effects. This sometimes happens when it only bruises the muscle, other times it fails to happen when the skull is shattered. Can you tell us a bit about what factors determine this?

Sometimes this happens if a bone is chipped as well.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 11, 2011, 04:38:09 pm »

*chop*

As usual, there's no specific timeline for features that aren't explicitly listed on the release schedule.

this is obviously true, but doesnt answer my questions, since both a combat rewrite(release 7) as well as a personality rewrite(release 8) are on the release schedule. its just about how much toady foresees the extend of those. (im asking because actually the things i talked about shouldnt be incorporated considering whats written there alone while in the meantime the actual release grows far beyond whats written in the release schedule)

i could generalize my questions to:
toady, do you think the next releases will also 'bloat'/include many unforeseen(but juicy!) extras or will you try to stick closer to the slim announcements on the schedule?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 11, 2011, 06:22:30 pm »

Sometimes creatures will get knocked unconscious by blows to the head, independent of pain effects. This sometimes happens when it only bruises the muscle, other times it fails to happen when the skull is shattered. Can you tell us a bit about what factors determine this?

Sometimes this happens if a bone is chipped as well.
I think that's due to pain. You can tell depending on whether it says "gives in to pain" or "has been knocked unconscious".
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 11, 2011, 06:25:40 pm »

Snip
Will houses have windows? Expanding on that, is there a chance that something like an adventurer openable curtain item might be included, allowing surprise sun attacks on vampires?

Light only shines straight down in DF, and that's not likely to change anytime soon.
-snip
I was thinking something along the lines of a cheap light workaround. The properties of windows might be altered in such a way that it checks for light around each side and projects it 'x tiles in that direction' or something to that effect. I realize it was a bit of a longshot and bordering on a suggestion, but it feels like we're getting close to the expansion or even fix for some of the light-related issues. Toady could ignore it at this minute, but he's kind of jumping around and getting larger swaths of fixes of varying degrees in and at this moment light is a logical next step with light-related syndromes and night creatures.

By this logic, though, a window allows light in horizontally while empty space doesn't. Seems like a bizarre solution with counterintuitive properties.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 11, 2011, 06:45:27 pm »

I'd guess the "knocked unconcious" means that the brain was shaken too badly. I'm no medic or anything like that, but a skull that gets shattered would probably take a lot of force from the blow (by absorbing lots of energy to use for breaking up the bone's structure, before the relatively heavy head can be accelerated). That would mean there is less energy to accelerate the head and the brain isn't shaked as badly.
This is only a relatively wild guess, I'm neither a doc nor do I know about the way the code works, but it'd be pretty damn awesome if Toady's code respected even somewhat counterintuitive physical mechanisms like this one.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 11, 2011, 06:52:56 pm »

Can (modded) creatures have a material weakness to the material from another creature? Like a vampire that is weak to werewolf teeth/claws a la Van Helsing. Will natural attacks using parts made from that material get the bonus against that kind of creature? That is, will bite attacks from a creature with silver teeth get bonuses against silver weak were-creatures?

Are material weaknesses respected in worldgen?

I can imagine necromancers grafting silver weapons to their constructs to deal with were-critters getting up in their business.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:54:53 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 11, 2011, 06:58:02 pm »

Snip

-snip

By this logic, though, a window allows light in horizontally while empty space doesn't. Seems like a bizarre solution with counterintuitive properties.

Like I said, a rough workaround, but this is a game that is in constant refinement. Toady's goals appear to be finding a balance between making sense, filling necessary solutions, and opening up as many options as possible. This would also increase the use of windows in fortress mode and open up a lot of options. Not ideal but still a positive that (depending highly on how it's coded) is far from out of reach. Toady could also make it even more complicated and better, but that takes more work, or completely leave it out. I don't remember seeing much in the devlog though, so I believe it's open field for a question.

Examples of broken lighting (I haven't tested it lately, but haven't seen much talk about it either) : Building a stone floor doesn't block lighting underneath it regardless of how thorough it is, but bridges (and walkways, perhaps) do for some reason. Light doesn't travel horizontally under any circumstances (as mentioned) The use of underground and light are treated separately. If you floor over a previously exposed are it counts as underground but still lighted (makes sense with glass blocks, obviously) so you can grow both indoor and outdoor plants, which seems wrong, but may not be depending on how you view the biology of underground plants (is it about stable temperature? lighting? air circulation? spore dissemination? etc. etc.)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 11, 2011, 10:51:08 pm »

Dwarf fortress: Histories of monsters and furries  :D

Hehe cant say i am disappointed by the influx of new Animals, Animalpeople and there Giant companions. Well i hope the second one get some development on the cultural side at some point but heck yes kiwis and red pandas and ... *goes nuts*. It would also be interresting to have kiwis as fruits.

New tags are also very nice, i wonder what could these animals could do. Squids are actually pretty straight forward with ink but they could use something that lets them change color to fit the surroundings respecktive to communicate emotions.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 11, 2011, 11:26:05 pm »

Nice to see the animals going in. While I do reckon Toady ought to take the time to do animals right, these don't really need any new stuff in particular.

Dwarf fortress: Histories of monsters and furries  :D
Please don't try to push your fetish onto DF. Animal men are vile beasts, subhuman and abominable. You can't yiff them.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:12:34 am by Cruxador »

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 11, 2011, 11:40:14 pm »

Great glaciers.

I don't know why Toady put this stupid animal sponsorship thing up and actually spent so much damn time programming fucking capybaras, bees and badgers into the game.

I would have paid money to see him finish the cities and NOT put anymore silly animals in the game. Animals can be made by modders, or anybody that can double click on the raw files that have animals in them, for that matter. If you want some stupid animal in your game, mod them in there.

I guess Toady is going to spend the next year or so adding in some exotic real-life animals rather then finishing the basics of the game due to this animal sponsorship drive.

Which is just... well, ts just awesome guys, good idea.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 11, 2011, 11:50:18 pm »

Nice to see the animals going in. While I do reckon Toady ought to take the time to do animals right, these don't really need anything in particular.

Well while i can relate to that i am not going to make a comment on the your second statement (but this and the following) for the sake of  sanity and my inner peace. Please grow up a bit. And that was my last thing on this.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:53:14 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 12, 2011, 12:08:45 am »

I would have paid money to see him finish the cities and NOT put anymore silly animals in the game. Animals can be made by modders, or anybody that can double click on the raw files that have animals in them, for that matter. If you want some stupid animal in your game, mod them in there.
You misunderstand. The animals he's putting in, they are also adding in tags for modding and game mechanics that didn't exist before so that these animals can be represented better. Honey was not an industry until bees were added in thanks to this drive. Etc.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 12, 2011, 12:14:06 am »

You misunderstand. The animals he's putting in, they are also adding in tags for modding and game mechanics that didn't exist before so that these animals can be represented better. Honey was not an industry until bees were added in thanks to this drive. Etc.
Bees were the number one request. The ones we are on now are further down the line and may not get any tags at all.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 12, 2011, 12:19:21 am »

nah, he said he's gonna try to make new tags for pretty much all of them.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 298