Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1170936 times)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #930 on: June 09, 2011, 06:01:50 pm »

Will people who are cursed as werebeasts know that they have killed people when they turn back to normal form? Will they be remorseful or get extra depressed if they know that they killed a loved one while a werebeast?
Worldgen figures don't have the capacity to become depressed or remorseful at the moment.

He isn't necessarily talking about worldgen, could apply to fortress mode as well... but I don't think so, Toady hasn't written or said anything about it, although it would be a quite Fun thing to have. But there was no time for a secretitive mood in his devlog :P

Chainlinc3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 09, 2011, 06:08:25 pm »

This is a bit random, but it's been on my mind for a while... And it's probably already been asked.  :\ 

Will we be allowed to embark on a city in fortress mode?  If so, will it be (relatively) functional, or, at the very least, inhabited?

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 09, 2011, 06:39:24 pm »

Will people who are cursed as werebeasts know that they have killed people when they turn back to normal form? Will they be remorseful or get extra depressed if they know that they killed a loved one while a werebeast?
Worldgen figures don't have the capacity to become depressed or remorseful at the moment.

He isn't necessarily talking about worldgen, could apply to fortress mode as well... but I don't think so, Toady hasn't written or said anything about it, although it would be a quite Fun thing to have. But there was no time for a secretitive mood in his devlog :P

Yeah I was talking about fortress mode. I know Toady mentioned how residents will not be hostile to a werebeast person after they transform back to their normal self. I am assuming this is because it does not recognize that those murders were caused by the now normal looking person. This made me wonder if the cursed person also not figure this out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 09, 2011, 07:43:35 pm »

Huh. I wouldn't be surprised if the things they did still registered with them ("Had a good fight recently; mourned the loss of a friend recently") even if that's not quite the same as "knowing" what they did.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 09, 2011, 07:59:26 pm »

Huh. I wouldn't be surprised if the things they did still registered with them ("Had a good fight recently; mourned the loss of a friend recently") even if that's not quite the same as "knowing" what they did.

That might lead to regular Denethor similar suicide scenes in the fortress... "What have I dooooooooone?!" Those would be awesome to have in the fortress!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 09, 2011, 09:11:05 pm »

This is a bit random, but it's been on my mind for a while... And it's probably already been asked.  :\ 

Will we be allowed to embark on a city in fortress mode?  If so, will it be (relatively) functional, or, at the very least, inhabited?
That's not been possible since sprawl went in around .12 and Toady has said it won't be possible for towers either as it's silly. So no, don't expect cities to be valid embark sites in the new version.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 09, 2011, 09:46:39 pm »

Oooh, Kobolds might actually survive worldgen per the latest devlog.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 09, 2011, 11:29:33 pm »

Will rich people have any more furniture, or perhaps higher quality furniture in their houses?

Will there be multi-room or even multi-story houses for single people/families?

Check the dev page first:
Adventurer Role: Thief
    * Valuables and mansions
          o Towns with large entity populations should have sections/quarters with varying residence quality etc.
          o Mansions/villas out of the way as well
          o Many high quality dwarf mode style items in these places

Will vampires have coffins in their house instead of beds?

That's probably already on the list of things that might or might not get included in the release:

Quote from: Fieari
Toady, many of your forumites are repeatedly linking the Wikipedia Vampire Traits list.  Are you actually intending to try to implement all these traits, or is this merely wishful/hopeful thinking on the part of your fans?

I don't think it's feasible to do everything there now.  Just doing some things is okay. 

Will houses have windows? Expanding on that, is there a chance that something like an adventurer openable curtain item might be included, allowing surprise sun attacks on vampires?

Light only shines straight down in DF, and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

Can transformation-curses be performed on a creature that is already transformed? Ie, could a (modded) creature do the were-albatross-becoming-thing, and then turn into something else when it's were-form is hit with it's own were-albatross-blood? (Form 1 -> Form 2 -> Form 3 -> etc) Can these changes be made permanent, so that when form 3 wears off, the creature remains as form 2?

That kind of thing is still up in the air:

Quote from: piecewise
Heres another for you. Will the game have certain curses take precedent over others? Ie, if I get bitten by a vampire and then by a were-moose, will I transform into a blood sucking moose man every full moon? If I raid a tomb is it possible that I'll find an undead necromancer vampire were-axolotl?

It doesn't allow some combinations.  Right now it allows for a vampire werebeast, which is strange, and may or may not be allowed.

Would it be possible to create a were-beast that creates a permanent change to a dwarf (rather then just activating on the a full moon?)

Yes.

Will curses like those for vampires and were-creatures be able to put in subtle 'tells' on the affected creature when it isn't transformed? Such as hairy palms for werewolves, fangs and pasty skin for vampires, etc.

Fangs and hairy palms may be possible, but I doubt there'd be any interface for noticing them:

Quote from: Toady One
I haven't gotten to any of the werewolfy/vampirey curses yet, but there's a significant time/delay issue with doing partial body modification, especially ones that add parts, but smaller modifications aren't a problem.  A complete guess at this point would be that we'll be doing both, in the sense that a vampire-style curse, in addition to all the non-body stuff, could also increase teeth size for any tooth part it finds, while leaving the "race" the same (with possible choices to do a wolf/bat/cloud transform perhaps), whereas a werewolf-style curse might turn you into a werewolf creature which would have its own definition.  That's as likely as anything.  Not to imply that randomly generated vampire/werewolf interactions will stick so closely to the generic image.  But those two kinds of body modifications are likely to be handled (small modification or total overhaul, with partial overhaul being the hard one likely to be left out this time).

Will you also be putting back in non-human settlements and fleshing them out?

Not yet:

Quote from: freeformschooler
will the town revamp starting with the next release finally give us elf/dwarf settlements with actual elves & dwarves?

Doing those prior to the dwarf mode army arc releases is the current plan, so that you have something to attack.  So in between the caravan releases and the army-related army arc releases.  If it comes up, it might happen sooner, if it's forced in some way by the trading, but that might not be how it works out.

This was just answered:

Quote from: Aquillion
With this...  would it be possible to easily add an init option or worldgen parameter to re-enable dwarves embarking on top of other people's sites?  I'm curious whether this would make the game respond 'properly' now if dwarves try to embark on a dark fortress or somesuch, making for something interesting.

Actually, would it be possible to allow the dwarves to embark on 'hostile' sites in general in the main game, as long as there's no friendly population there?  It seems like "deal with the undead, then settle in their tower" could be a fun (and challenging) way to start a fortress.

Adding an init option wouldn't make the game respond any better than it was when it was broken, so I think I'm misunderstanding something.  There's something fundamentally silly about allowing those embarks, but I don't have a problem with the init option in principle.  But it takes time to make sure that everybody is properly hostile in that artificial environment, so I haven't been eager to fix it up.  That said, we've been toying with the idea of allowing some embarks on thoroughly bad places.  We'll see what happens.

Of course, I think with the current value/economy system, there is a high risk of breaking the world by flooding it with pigtail socks and cheap stone crafts :(
So do suspecting that it would be a problem? Perhaps got any short term placeholders to help prevent that? (such as pop-size based limits of exports of certain items)

Flooding the market has come up before:

Quote from: Xgamer4
Just how in-depth will the caravan arc be? For example, if I flood the food market for years straight, will the populations of cities I trade with skyrocket to reflect the increased availability of food? And, if I were to suddenly cut off that access, will there be mass starvation? Also, will this, and, say, poisoning the food exports be viable ways to weaken others before trying to attack, when that comes up?

I'm not sure if you're going to be able to have much of an effect on the food market, since that isn't going to be your specialty as a dwarf fortress vs. the thousands living in human villages.  Steel weapons, on the other hand, could cause trouble eventually.  We'll be tracking every item to some extent -- depending on the amount traded out, it might have to abstract down to type and material, but we'll try to keep as much as we can.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 10, 2011, 02:38:34 am »

@Devlog: hurrah! Increased survivability was one of the things I was really hoping for: it gets annoying that most mountainhalls starve to death in the first twenty years of the world. . .
It might be a good idea to tone down worldgen attacks and wars in the early years, untill civs have had a chance to develop a bit. It's looks like most fortresses get a sieged almost immediately now, being pillaged or deprived of farmers in the process. 
I also hope that mountainhalls will become visible on the map again. New Dark Towers also seem to not appear. the prerequisites seem inconsistent, human hamlets are always visible, but dwarves never, goblins sometimes, kobolds never (but that is good).
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 10, 2011, 04:15:51 am »

Nope. All old settlements was taken out, but only human hamlets re-build. I figure the reason he didn't leave non-human settlements in was that they were too connected in the code that needed to be rewritten, so it was easier to just throw out the whole thing rather than keep parts of it. Non-human settlements also isn't planned to be revisited until the army arc gets going, unfortunately.
Love, scriver~

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 10, 2011, 05:48:54 am »

I also hope that mountainhalls will become visible on the map again. New Dark Towers also seem to not appear. the prerequisites seem inconsistent, human hamlets are always visible, but dwarves never, goblins sometimes, kobolds never (but that is good).
The mountain halls, dark towers, and forest retreats that appear on the map (and mountain halls can certainly appear there) are the major settlements, equivalent to the human towns. Those that don't appear are the minor settlements, equivalent to the hamlets. Presumably Toady needs to choose new symbols for the minor settlements, which he might base on whatever structures end up being found there. The main reason that mountain halls rarely are seen seems to be the starvation problem Toady has tackled here.

Speaking of sites and site structures - Conquered sites used to keep their old civ's structures, around which the structures of the new civ would be build if they were different. Once the dwarf/goblin/elf sites are more fleshed out in the army arc, do you foresee that this will be the case again?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 10, 2011, 09:52:24 am »

In relation to what Knight Otu said is it planned to have the world map symbols be selectable so that graphic packs can represent them with a proper sprite?

Livonya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 10, 2011, 01:41:49 pm »

I have taken a long break from Dwarf Fortress (over 2 years) and it has been quite a long time since I posted in the forums, though I do follow what is going on with Dwarf Fortress on a regular basis.

I recently fired up a few new fortresses to get back in the groove of things and learn how all the new features work... first time playing the DF2010 version(s).  So much has changed.  Quite cool.

At some point I have to try Adventure mode... it almost sounds like their is a game there now.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how exciting all the changes look and I can't wait for the new version.

Keep at it. 

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 10, 2011, 04:42:40 pm »

I have taken a long break from Dwarf Fortress (over 2 years) and it has been quite a long time since I posted in the forums, though I do follow what is going on with Dwarf Fortress on a regular basis.

I recently fired up a few new fortresses to get back in the groove of things and learn how all the new features work... first time playing the DF2010 version(s).  So much has changed.  Quite cool.

At some point I have to try Adventure mode... it almost sounds like their is a game there now.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how exciting all the changes look and I can't wait for the new version.

Keep at it.
If you're going to do Adventure, I recommend waiting for the new version, since then you'll have proper cities with proper markets to explore, and tombs to raid. The current game mostly is just going to where bandits or trolls or megabeasts live, and killing them. Markets will add a bit of commerce to that, and tombs at least have traps and curses to contend with. And there's all the other new night creatures, which add substantial variety to things.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 10, 2011, 05:13:19 pm »

In relation to what Knight Otu said is it planned to have the world map symbols be selectable so that graphic packs can represent them with a proper sprite?

...or maybe a complete decoupling of the text user interface from the graphics tiles? Even though I think that can be complex (and boring) to do.

Anyway this is my first post on bay12forums. Toady, you're doing a very good job, Dwarf Fortress is great!
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 298