Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 297257 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1965 on: September 12, 2018, 07:10:54 am »

It is the slowing frame rate that is my biggest demotivator for not playing DF. I would like to build sprawling cities, even with reasonably low population, but the number of building blocks needed will kill the frame rate sooner than later. :(
The game is not really built for making sprawling cities. You can't (and will never be able to) do everything in this game. It'll be more enjoyable if you keep that in mind.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: September 15, 2018, 01:08:42 pm »

The lack of spacial realism, as in rooms needing Y-height and creatures taking more than one tile. I know, I know, the last at least will come eventually, but still.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: September 15, 2018, 11:00:18 pm »

The lack of spacial realism, as in rooms needing Y-height and creatures taking more than one tile. I know, I know, the last at least will come eventually, but still.
It's Z-height, not Y-height. Looks like you're a seasoned Minecraft player!

You would need Z-height in your rooms if you're playing a race of 10-meter-tall giants.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: September 16, 2018, 08:59:18 am »

Wagons and trees already have multiple tiles, and wagons count as actual creatures.

Multi-tile dragons, serpents and tentacles could be rather trivial to add to the game. Anything else, months of work and hundreds of bugs. Also something like a swarm could be easily represented (eg composed of hundreds of actual bugs).
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: September 16, 2018, 09:05:15 am »

Used to be, with giant mosquitos.

I accidentially reexperienced with proper mosquitos by adding the vermin to animal pops. Being so small, they're harder to kill than expected too.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1970 on: September 16, 2018, 09:21:56 am »

What did you expect? Have you ever tried hitting a mosquito with a sword?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: September 16, 2018, 09:39:18 am »

Wagons and trees already have multiple tiles, and wagons count as actual creatures.

Multi-tile dragons, serpents and tentacles could be rather trivial to add to the game. Anything else, months of work and hundreds of bugs. Also something like a swarm could be easily represented (eg composed of hundreds of actual bugs).
Toady wants individual tiles of multi-tile creatures to be damageable (and for non-square multi-tile creatures to be added), wagons are boring squares that can't be damaged normally.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1972 on: September 16, 2018, 10:49:06 am »

Wagons aren't even true multi-tile creatures. They're single-tile creatures that 1. cause tiles around themselves to be displayed as wagon tiles and 2. avoid standing next to walls. When wagons travel up ramps, their front pseudotiles exist inside the wall they're rolling up, and their back pseudotiles hang in midair.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: September 16, 2018, 11:22:26 am »

Mostly, yes. Unless there's magma on the other side of the wall the ramp leans on. Then it is a ‼wagon‼

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1974 on: September 16, 2018, 11:40:53 am »

Really? Being adjacent to magma lights you on fire? I would not have expected that.
Sigtext!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: September 16, 2018, 12:34:08 pm »

Not exactly, unless you're a wagon. The pack animals are actually physically inside the magma when moving like that.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: September 16, 2018, 05:30:04 pm »

Without a doubt the completely inconsistent jobs and stockpiles system.

Trying to get Large sized armor into a different stockpile as medium.
Trying to go through DFHACK to get *just* the right set of rules to stop a particular red line coming up in the log.

It's annoying as hell.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1977 on: September 17, 2018, 07:31:14 am »

Thefinn, have you tried using two workshops each linked to a different stockpile? Use one for only medium armor and the other for only large armor.

It's a bit opaque and obscure at times, but the job/stockpile system still has much power. And it grows by the version - workflow was practically added to the game! I use the manager  to automate drink production, barrel production, clothing production, and produce orders larger than ten. If you've never used the manager for standing/conditional orders, I recommend it.

On magma wagons: pack animals can't be on a higher level than the wagons themselves? Why don't the pack animals halt and suffocate when they go up normal ramps? Come to think of it, how can they even move through the wall??
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:33:47 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: September 17, 2018, 09:06:57 am »

Thefinn, have you tried using two workshops each linked to a different stockpile? Use one for only medium armor and the other for only large armor.

It's a bit opaque and obscure at times, but the job/stockpile system still has much power. And it grows by the version - workflow was practically added to the game! I use the manager  to automate drink production, barrel production, clothing production, and produce orders larger than ten. If you've never used the manager for standing/conditional orders, I recommend it.

On magma wagons: pack animals can't be on a higher level than the wagons themselves? Why don't the pack animals halt and suffocate when they go up normal ramps? Come to think of it, how can they even move through the wall??
linking workshops to stockpiles doesn't solve the problem with large equipment in a dwarven fort not being able to sort it to a different stockpile.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: September 17, 2018, 03:47:24 pm »

Trying to get Large sized armor into a different stockpile as medium.
Armor and Finished Good stockpiles have a 'u' "Usable/Unusable" setting that can be used to separate medium and large, armor or clothing. Toggle that.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 136