Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: After the age of heroes...  (Read 42679 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: After the age of heroes...
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2012, 12:16:28 am »

I actually had a world where it entered a 17th age of myth. 

I figure this is probably to do with enough heroes rising up and slaying some random beasties to make it an age of legends, then being overtaken by enough heroes either dying or being converted into werecritters to swing the balance back the other way. 

Werecritters really wreck the balance in this because they are simply so active and so capable of reproducing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2012, 12:50:00 am »

in these newest versions, i hit golden age at ~200 years, and stay there.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Isa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2012, 03:27:15 am »

In legends, it's weird that the second golden age suddenly took a dip and became the age of death.

What is the age of death? Does it mean that all civilizations are extinct or that there are few humanoids left in the world?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2012, 04:17:45 am »

In legends, it's weird that the second golden age suddenly took a dip and became the age of death.

What is the age of death? Does it mean that all civilizations are extinct or that there are few humanoids left in the world?
according to wiki -

"The Age of Death is a time when there are no civilizations left alive. It is respected in Dwarf Mode, so no invaders, merchants, immigrants. "

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2012, 04:40:30 am »

Thanks for the sig.
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2012, 05:52:01 am »

Did I just waste my time writing explanation for all ages in last page?  :(

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 08:42:16 am »

Did I just waste my time writing explanation for all ages in last page?  :(

Given I did the same thing year or so ago?

Yessir :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2012, 09:03:52 am »

I actually had a world where it entered a 17th age of myth. 

I figure this is probably to do with enough heroes rising up and slaying some random beasties to make it an age of legends, then being overtaken by enough heroes either dying or being converted into werecritters to swing the balance back the other way. 

Werecritters really wreck the balance in this because they are simply so active and so capable of reproducing.

Hehe, that's pretty funny.

I don't mind hitting additional ages of myth, although the end and beginning triggers should be offset.  Eg. ends when 80% are alive, begins when it's 90%.  Would keep it from fluctuating over the border a lot.

in these newest versions, i hit golden age at ~200 years, and stay there.

I had one world last night hit the Golden Age around...year 70?  Worldgen ended at 102 or so.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2012, 09:39:00 am »

Well, the problem with werecritters isn't that it fluctuates the ages (in fact, where the ages go tends to give a fairly good indication of how the world is going - a rush straight ot the golden age means that all the civs got pretty lucky, and are expanding, but that such a thing means you'll probably get a lot of trade routes, which will lag your worldgen) but that werecritters are a major source of bloat in worldgen.

One werecritter goes on a rampage and infects a victim into being another werecritter.
Two werecritters go on a rampage and infect two more victims into being more werecritters.
Four werecritters go on a rampage and infect four more...

Each werecritter can go on a rampage two or three times a year.  Each rampage involves individual rolls for the werewolf attacking people and creatures - almost all of which involve citizens running away, and maybe, at most, a chicken getting eaten. 

Werecritter attacks can add several million events to worldgen.  I had a single town get attacked 10,000 times in a 350-year worldgen, after not being attacked at all for the first 80 years, and with an escalating number of werehedgehog rampages (apparently, they were Sonic fans...) reaching over 100 rampages per year for the past dozen or so years.  (And the population of the town was still in the thousands, and the livestock still existed, so these were pretty darn ineffectual rampages.)

It's a problem Toady needs to address.  Turning off werebeasts results in much faster worldgen.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2012, 10:17:46 am »

There's also the Age of Twilight when there's hardly any named creatures left alive in the entire world. Age of (race) triggers when it's pretty much only that race left.

Age of fairytales is when humans own about 90% of the world and there are still some creatures around that their scouts havent discoverd or so.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:15 am »

Age of fairy tales is human version of "Age of [race]".

Age of civilization is something I've never personally seen myself  :P

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2012, 01:26:02 pm »

Well, the problem with werecritters isn't that it fluctuates the ages (in fact, where the ages go tends to give a fairly good indication of how the world is going - a rush straight ot the golden age means that all the civs got pretty lucky, and are expanding, but that such a thing means you'll probably get a lot of trade routes, which will lag your worldgen) but that werecritters are a major source of bloat in worldgen.

One werecritter goes on a rampage and infects a victim into being another werecritter.
Two werecritters go on a rampage and infect two more victims into being more werecritters.
Four werecritters go on a rampage and infect four more...

Each werecritter can go on a rampage two or three times a year.  Each rampage involves individual rolls for the werewolf attacking people and creatures - almost all of which involve citizens running away, and maybe, at most, a chicken getting eaten. 

Werecritter attacks can add several million events to worldgen.  I had a single town get attacked 10,000 times in a 350-year worldgen, after not being attacked at all for the first 80 years, and with an escalating number of werehedgehog rampages (apparently, they were Sonic fans...) reaching over 100 rampages per year for the past dozen or so years.  (And the population of the town was still in the thousands, and the livestock still existed, so these were pretty darn ineffectual rampages.)

It's a problem Toady needs to address.  Turning off werebeasts results in much faster worldgen.

thing is, my worlgens also take a long time, but i have yet to gen a werebeast heavy world.  i have not encountered ANY lairs, nor received any quests to kill werebeasts.  i do, on the other hand, have several hundred vampires....  all with killcounts in the thousands.

this is doing a basic worldgen, small world, 550 year history, most sites and civs available.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2012, 09:25:57 pm »

Age of fairy tales is human version of "Age of [race]".

Age of civilization is something I've never personally seen myself  :P

Fairy Tales is when there are almost no civilization creatures besides humans left, and all the mythological creatures are nearly dead.  (Since I think whatever-man creatures count, it'll probably be a cold day in Hell before you see one of those without modding the raws.)

Age of [race] is fairly common in pocket or smaller worlds, when they're in a small enough zone for one race to completely wipe out an entire other race in a single war, and claim total dominance in a fairly short period of time.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2012, 07:00:41 am »

After reading the itallic texts and regenning few worlds with my old mod, I believe that Twilight, Fairy Tales and Civilization ages are progressives like Myth/Legends/Heroes.

And the order would be: Age of Twilight (?% of 'magical' critters left) -> Age of Fairy Tales (90% of sentients are 'mundane', for example, humans (which means 10% of magic critters left)) -> Age of Civilization (no critters with 'magical' tag at all).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:07:50 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2012, 07:02:36 am »

After reading the itallic texts and regenning few worlds with my old mod, I believe that Twilight, Fairy Tales and Civilization ages are progressives like Myth/Legends/Heroes.

And the order would be: Age of Twilight (?% of 'magical' critters left) -> Age of Fairy Tales (90% of sentients are 'mundane', for example, humans) -> Age of Civilization (no critters with 'magical' tag at all).

Actually, Twilight age seems to appear when all civilization are weak from wars/megabeast rampages and are weakening instead of becoming stronger. Thats what the description says too.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8