Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3744316 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4950 on: January 09, 2013, 10:36:12 am »

Will we ever get half elves?

Tinker with the raws and they're all yours.

Happens regularly during standard unmodded play already.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

superbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: January 09, 2013, 12:42:19 pm »

(when) will we ever get some (pseudo-)chemical interactions going on? Like in the simplest sense, things decaying/fusing into different things under certain conditions? For example a lot of things would release toxic fumes when heated or burned, requiring ventilation systems (for carbon monoxide, among other things), some other things might react violently to water (like calcium oxide) or acid (once we get more than one kind). Some might react violently to heat or shock, producing blastwaves(releasing lots of compressed gas and heat in a very short time) of various strength. I'm thinking both of constructive (masonry, hygiene) and destructive (exploding minecarts, yay!) applications for this.

Another thing - how about allowing the player to call for austerity measures in fortress mode, or even martial law, where food and booze would be rationed to sustain the fortress for a longer time, during a long siege for example. I know this can be done manually by walling off parts of the food stockpile, but it would be easier just to tell the dwarves not to eat and drink until they're really hungry and unhappy. Also, this might have positive settings, for when the fortress is doing really well, making dwarves eat better and more often, making them happier.

edit:
Sent it to Toady the proper way. Leaving it here in case someone has an opinion on this.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:04:34 pm by superbob »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: January 09, 2013, 12:44:03 pm »

You know, there /is/ a DFtalk thread specifically made for the Dftalk questions.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=44597.0
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:54:54 pm by Japa »

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: January 09, 2013, 08:06:03 pm »

Do you plan on making the game more moddable in the near future?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: January 09, 2013, 08:42:28 pm »

Quote from: Putnam
Speaking of interactions, as a modder, are there going to be any expansions of old modding with this release? More tokens for CE_ADD_TAG, more syndrome types, more usage hints, more counter triggers, anything like that? Or is it just a straight shot to expansion and activation of the world?

I think it has been a reasonably straight shot, but there has been a lot added to the raws of course.  For new interaction stuff, there's the vampire senses, and maybe various other things.  In general between expanding the skeleton of the game and bug-fixing, there's the idea of fleshing things out, which for us usually means lots of feature expansion and interconnections of old features of the sort you are talking about, and I don't think we've done much of that over the last many months.  And there probably won't be a lot of it up through this release since we've already bitten off a large chunk.  I'm not sure when I'll get around to more of that.  We'll be at an interesting spot after this release, with any number of directions to go, and we still need to decide which one or ones we'll choose.

Sotsepmet Koicei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: January 09, 2013, 09:09:27 pm »

Question: Some time ago, you mentioned planar travel. Hows is that looking? Extraplanar adventures sound ridiculously amazing, and multi-planar fortresses is just... wow. Fighting off threats on multiple levels of existence would be so Fun.

How will adventurers and forts reach into the next plane? Will there be new noble titles for each plane and requirements for each noble? Will they be available from the get-go (via a workshop-like-building?) and simply contain too much danger for the unprepared fortress to breach? Will adventurers need to find special portals, magic places, train a planar skill?

Question: Magic. I'm sorry if this is a dead horse, but since I haven't heard much about it and your questions are drying up, why not? How much magic will be available to dwarves and what form would you like to see it represented in? Will it be limited to alchemy, or hedgewizards, or will schools of magic be available as different classes of soldiers are today? (We have swordsmen, axemen, macemen, why not pyromagi, geomagi, aquamagi?)

Question: Will walls and floors remain indestructible at an ideal 'end' of development?

Question: Will there ever be a way to specify what the subject of a statue/engraving ought to be?

Question: How do you stay so brilliant, charming -and- handsome? Is there some sort of cream or shampoo?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:25:42 am by Sotsepmet Koicei »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: January 09, 2013, 09:30:55 pm »

Green your questions.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: January 09, 2013, 10:12:53 pm »

Or, for DF Talk questions, follow the instructions in this thread by sending your questions via email to toadyone@bay12games.com with the subject line "Question for DF Talk"

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4958 on: January 10, 2013, 04:03:29 am »

Quote from: Putnam
Speaking of interactions, as a modder, are there going to be any expansions of old modding with this release? More tokens for CE_ADD_TAG, more syndrome types, more usage hints, more counter triggers, anything like that? Or is it just a straight shot to expansion and activation of the world?

I think it has been a reasonably straight shot, but there has been a lot added to the raws of course.  For new interaction stuff, there's the vampire senses, and maybe various other things.  In general between expanding the skeleton of the game and bug-fixing, there's the idea of fleshing things out, which for us usually means lots of feature expansion and interconnections of old features of the sort you are talking about, and I don't think we've done much of that over the last many months.  And there probably won't be a lot of it up through this release since we've already bitten off a large chunk.  I'm not sure when I'll get around to more of that.  We'll be at an interesting spot after this release, with any number of directions to go, and we still need to decide which one or ones we'll choose.

To be fair, i would rather prefer if existing stuff was converted to raws.

For example, Barrels vs Pots - Them both being hardcoded even if they are essentially identical caused many bugs and weirdness because some things slipped.

Furniture.

Also, many things are out of reach for total conversion mods (skill/labor lists).

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: January 10, 2013, 07:11:48 am »

Have fun writing those claim functions, Toady. We'll have !!FUN!! seeing hat they do, no doubt.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:37 am »

Quote from: zwei
To be fair, i would rather prefer if existing stuff was converted to raws.

For example, Barrels vs Pots - Them both being hardcoded even if they are essentially identical caused many bugs and weirdness because some things slipped.

Furniture.

Also, many things are out of reach for total conversion mods (skill/labor lists).

There's only so much time to convert this stuff to raws, and usually it tends to be hardcoded because, as I understand, Toady keeps it for testing purposes until he feels the feature is stable enough to give us the freedom to fiddle with it however we please. This is the case with necromancer and vampiric reactions, which are pretty recent, and there might be a lot of features that display this same behavior.

Fortunately, he'll give us a lot of things to play with in the next release, both in the notepad and in the in-game sense.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Liamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: January 10, 2013, 08:09:15 am »

Question:

Will we be one day able to assign unskilled Dwarves as Jurneymen to our legendary miners and blcksmiths, so that they perform mundane tasks for their teachers, like material hauling, and learn their trade without wasting so much resources, or digging half the map out? It could be handled similary to 'Conduct a meeting task', except the master does his normal duties while the jurneyman follows him and learns by watching until he's good/old enough to do it himself.

Ideally, children would also be able to become journeymen (Just like in real world), and be more productive. (We, humans, tended to have as many kids as we could to put them to (cheap) work as soon as they can walk.)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: January 10, 2013, 10:00:44 am »

Question:

Will we be one day able to assign unskilled Dwarves as Jurneymen to our legendary miners and blcksmiths, so that they perform mundane tasks for their teachers, like material hauling, and learn their trade without wasting so much resources, or digging half the map out? It could be handled similary to 'Conduct a meeting task', except the master does his normal duties while the jurneyman follows him and learns by watching until he's good/old enough to do it himself.

Ideally, children would also be able to become journeymen (Just like in real world), and be more productive. (We, humans, tended to have as many kids as we could to put them to (cheap) work as soon as they can walk.)

Apprentices have been talked about, and its on the DF Eternal Suggestion Voting Thread. ToadyOne answer is probably going to be, "Sounds good. No time line."

This thread, is really meant for things that ToadyOne is actively working on. Or things that might be related to what hes currently working on. Almost anytime he answers a questions about a something that could be done in the future. Its answered with "Sounds good. No time line." DFTalk is generally where he expands on things outside of what hes currently working on.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Liamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: January 11, 2013, 06:27:12 am »

This thread, is really meant for things that ToadyOne is actively working on. Or things that might be related to what hes currently working on. Almost anytime he answers a questions about a something that could be done in the future. Its answered with "Sounds good. No time line." DFTalk is generally where he expands on things outside of what hes currently working on.

Ok, sorry :s

Questio:

With all the inheritence stuff done now, will the players be able to directly affect the political world by doing quests for historical figures that want to inherit their titles a little sooner, throught means of assasination and/or intrigue? Also, will an adventurer be able to become a king, or obtain any of the positions, and actually influence the world that way?

For example, would it be possible for the player to become a king as an adventurer, start a war with a civilisation, retire, make a fort to build an army to aid it's civilisation in said war, AND have the adventurer Monarch migrate to your fort?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: January 11, 2013, 09:32:39 am »

No harm, no foul man. If you want to ask questions, which is a good thing, might as well aim your questions that'll get more substantive response.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 748