Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DMing Pitfalls  (Read 2501 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: DMing Pitfalls
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 10:12:25 pm »

Start with one unique idea. Too many oddities in the premise and the whole roleplay is spoiled. I had the idea of starting a Monsterhearts game. Then I thought of making it about a rock band. Then I thought about presenting it as a concept album. This alienated players and the combined gimmicks got old fast.

If you are running a roleplay or RtD, choose your players carefully. I usually choose anyone with a half-decent character sheet, but for a recent roleplay I examined their prior roleplaying posts. This may sound stalkerish, but I consider it more like getting references from previous employers. It takes a little extra work but the results of several well-picked players are truly joyous.

I Had a Progression set up in my most recent game... But then my Players got "a Little Bit" too Creative in character Creation and I am having problems figuring out what to do With an Earth Elemental in an ISG where the players 'WERE' going to control a Zombie Warrior from a Fantasy Setting...
A conundrum indeed! One answer is to sneakily refurbish your zombie warrior plans with earth elemental themes. Your zombie warrior was empowered by eating brains? Well, then your earth elemental is empowered by eating stones and metals - the purer the tastier!

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 08:23:26 am »

Start with one unique idea. Too many oddities in the premise and the whole roleplay is spoiled. I had the idea of starting a Monsterhearts game. Then I thought of making it about a rock band. Then I thought about presenting it as a concept album. This alienated players and the combined gimmicks got old fast.

If you are running a roleplay or RtD, choose your players carefully. I usually choose anyone with a half-decent character sheet, but for a recent roleplay I examined their prior roleplaying posts. This may sound stalkerish, but I consider it more like getting references from previous employers. It takes a little extra work but the results of several well-picked players are truly joyous.

I Had a Progression set up in my most recent game... But then my Players got "a Little Bit" too Creative in character Creation and I am having problems figuring out what to do With an Earth Elemental in an ISG where the players 'WERE' going to control a Zombie Warrior from a Fantasy Setting...
A conundrum indeed! One answer is to sneakily refurbish your zombie warrior plans with earth elemental themes. Your zombie warrior was empowered by eating brains? Well, then your earth elemental is empowered by eating stones and metals - the purer the tastier!

The idea WAS interesting, and if you just left out the concept album ideas and just made it like a rock mockumentary, I'm sure it would've done well. I just wasn't sure how to progress, and kept silent until some clue popped up

Be sure to keep an eye out for these kinds of RPers, I'm one of them. Give these guys a little hint of what to do, and you should do fine.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 08:29:47 am »

I'll have to remember that if I repeat the concept.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 09:58:04 am »

Never have the storyline over-streamed. Yah, eventually your going to fight the evil Alien/Dragon/Fortress, but the events leading up to it should be based on te characters. Also, dont have the characters do something stupid unless thats what the players want them to do. I hate when my guys a high-level Jewelry Inspector and then gets sold some crappy cursed Amulet of Plot Significance
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 10:09:00 am »

One I've made repeatedly - and one all writers, not just DMs, should be aware of - is spending your idle time dreaming up ever more complicated yet largely irrelevant plot and backstory for your game/story. Beware of this! See also Homestuck.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 11:04:37 am »

I'd advise against this, actually. Now that I've tried first-come-first-serve applications, I must say they're really quite good. Especially given how 'choosing players carefully' translates very often to 'let's give the game some 3-7 days, you know, just so the players can put up the best sheets they can', which is overall a pretty terrible way to start up a game (waiting is game-death, don't you know, and time is of the essence). Remember that, when it comes down to it, the character everyone plays is ultimately themselves to a great extent.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 11:16:46 am »

Seconded. Waiting too long can kill a game out of dissipated hype. Also, depending on the type of game, you're going to get different types of RPers anyway, as not all RPers are interested in all games.

By advertising your game as a certain genre, you're more likely to get the people who enjoy playing that one and thus the ones who play well.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 12:33:33 pm »

Don't start too many games. Find out your limits, how many games you can run reliably simultanously. And DON'T go over that limit. I, for example, found early on that my limit is two games. Then I went full retard and spawned three more and tried to juggle that mess for a while. Suddenly I found that I don't have any time left anymore, my games started to suffer and eventually I had to cull the herd.

If you absolutely want to start another game and you are already on your limits, do yourself and your players a favour and officially kill one of the earlier ones.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 05:47:55 pm »

As a guy who has successfully failed to GM two forum games, I have a lot of advice to give you.

And here they are in no particular order

1. Don't let early success blind you to your original scope. Although this rule has several exceptions (Perpleixcon, Warrens, probably some other ones), suddenly deciding to put more effort than you originally planned to in your game is a good way to stretch it out to the point where it jumps the shark. I once decided to run a magic arena just to test a magic system I had for an RtD, and I managed to get several waitlisters. Overjoyed at my sudden success, I then decided to make the victory condition a bit too high, and so eventually as the game went on, I began to realize the flaws it had.

Mini-list:
         1. Enviromental kills are a good way to kill a player without giving other players the satisfaction of killing someone.
         2. They also aren't fun to die to since they tend to be just dice rolls in the grand scheme of things
         3. My magic system was too shallow for the game I tried to run (fine enough for my own purposes, but not deep enough for an entire forum game)
         4. I was too hesitant to kill my players (due to most prevented deaths being environmental ones)
         5. I sucked at interpreting dice rolls

2.Try to make sure that you actually have a good ruleset. You know, fair, balanced, fun.

3. Design the game to your own strengths as a GM. If you suck at writing, avoid doing something narrative based and write updates simple and to the point. Players would appreciate frequent simple updates, over scarce, poorly written walls of text.

EDIT:

Here is a list of mistakes I've seen other DMs do.

1. Don't be afraid to fast-forward through some tedious and unexciting moments. A text book example would be walking down hallway after hallway of barely to completely featureless hallways. This is filller, it isn't fun! Unless these moments are short enough and you update frequently enough that it only takes a day to get past them, you should probably skip them entirely. But what if I need my characters to walk down this hallway? Then AUTO IT! Sure, you might piss off a few players who may have wanted to thoroughly search the room before leaving (or something else), but you are the DM, you know that room is empty! Also, your players would enjoy actions that had more impact.

And now for a less DnD example. Fighting a bullet sponge, If the players action over several turns boils down to "keep hitting it", then you've made a mistake. I will not propose a solution since I don't want to talk about matters I know little about.

2. Not enough guidance. Have you ever had those moments when a game slowed to a crawl? This may be why. Sometimes, players are overwhelmed by a new situation filled with way-too-many choices to make and so they make a bunch of meaningless ones that don't go anywhere. May sometime overlap with number 2.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:08:52 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 [2]