Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Mood chefs should make artifact meals.  (Read 3027 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Mood chefs should make artifact meals.
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:50:04 pm »

Because I can't be the only one craving some Diorite and Steel Bar roast.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood chefs should make artifact meals.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:01:01 pm »

No, and because I can't just say no: artifacts are forever.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:03:50 pm »

Just imagine the chef's face when someone eats his masterpiece.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:39:33 am »

Imagine it if no one does.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:51:47 am »

Artifacts can't be damaged, only destroyed.  Artifact clothing never wears out, and burning artifacts burn forever.  So unless the artifact meal is small enough to be eaten in one bite, it should be impossible for a dwarf to ever finish eating it.  This may result in a series of dwarves who starved while trying to eat the artifact meal, but at least the chef will never suffer the loss of his artifact.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:42:19 am »

Permanent recipes are in the works. Perhaps instead of an artifact roast he creates the artifact recipe for the roast. Possibly creating the roast with the recipe. When you cook this roast it will have a booster on it's quality and instantly gives the dwarf a happy thought. Recipes will have to be within reason of course, so Platinum pies shouldn't be possible, but Plump Helmet pies should be possible. I find this much more appealing then seeing a sad dwarf staring at the biscuits studded with spikes and engravings of dead dwarves until he starves.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:11:59 am »

Permanent recipes are in the works. Perhaps instead of an artifact roast he creates the artifact recipe for the roast. Possibly creating the roast with the recipe. When you cook this roast it will have a booster on it's quality and instantly gives the dwarf a happy thought. Recipes will have to be within reason of course, so Platinum pies shouldn't be possible, but Plump Helmet pies should be possible. I find this much more appealing then seeing a sad dwarf staring at the biscuits studded with spikes and engravings of dead dwarves until he starves.

Suddenly, I start thinking of Atelier Rorona's "Pie Alchemy" section, where, after Rorona learns how to bake normal pies using alchemy, she starts trying to make special "alchemy-only" pies, including "Pie-Meteor", which combines a pie with a meteor alchemical weapon (makes pies start raining from the sky like meteors... for no effect but stickiness), "Dunkelpiet", a pie made of the very rare medicinal flower Dunkelheit, which has no effect because it was baked into a pie instead of prepared, a "Pielixir" with the ultimate medicine elixir baked into a pie (heals for a lot, but it tastes like medicine), the "Ruby Pie", made with a philosopher's stone baked into a flakey crust (inedible, no effect), and the "Living Pie", which screams in pain for being baked, and then attacks its baker for trying to eat it before running away... (utterly useless).

Generally speaking, you only make them for the special ending you get if you can synthesize extremely high quality versions of all of them, and for the fact that the cutscenes you get for making them are pretty hilarious (like Rorona being attacked by a pie, "AAAAA! IT GOT IN MY CLOTHES! IT'S HOT!" "It's saying 'hahaha, suffer the revenge of all the pies you have eaten'" "STOP TRANSLATING AND HELP ME!").

I kind of want to see someone make a piemeteor in DF, though.  I can almost imagine someone finding a way to weaponize artifact pie recepies through adding syndrome-laden pie crusts so that when they fall from the sky into magma pits, they release clouds of poison gas at invaders.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 03:44:39 pm »

Generally speaking, you only make them for the special ending you get if you can synthesize extremely high quality versions of all of them, and for the fact that the cutscenes you get for making them are pretty hilarious (like Rorona being attacked by a pie, "AAAAA! IT GOT IN MY CLOTHES! IT'S HOT!" "It's saying 'hahaha, suffer the revenge of all the pies you have eaten'" "STOP TRANSLATING AND HELP ME!").

I kind of want to see someone make a piemeteor in DF, though.  I can almost imagine someone finding a way to weaponize artifact pie recepies through adding syndrome-laden pie crusts so that when they fall from the sky into magma pits, they release clouds of poison gas at invaders.

Y'know, I was going to say that this idea was ridiculous because someone would just eat it and it'd be a total waste of an artifact.  But you've convinced me that they could be weaponized, so it really is something worthy of Dwarf Fortress...

"Release the pies!"
*pulls lever*
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 12:27:41 am »

Artifact recipes would be awesome, though I think odd things like Platinum Pie would appropriate for Dwarf Fortress. An strange mood can produce objects that you can't make normally anyway, like beds made of lead, or swords made of gold. Should be rare, and might not taste very good, but in real life some generally inedible materials are used in gourmet cooking, like gold flakes (At least I think gold is indigestible)
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 10:22:14 am »

Gold is indigestible, but perfectly harmless to the human body, and yes, there are some things like wine that has gold flakes in it to make it sparkle and be more decadent.  Near Wall Street, they even have a few restraunts that offer things like gold-wrapped ice cream desserts, just in case you didn't think they were absurd wastrels enough. 

Gold just passes through your system, though.  Some of the salts of platinum are hazardous to human health. A lead pie or a pitchblende recepie would be outright fatal.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 10:38:17 am »

The question is

Should Artifact recipes be wonderful staples of the diet?
Or should Artifact recipes by complicated recipes that are nearly impossible to replicate?

Or should both be possible?

Should Artifact recipes involve combining things normally inedible that are only capable of being combined into food with the recipe?

Can Artifact recipes be cooked without original copy of the recipe? Can they be made from memory?

These are the questions folks.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 02:47:07 pm »

The question is

Should Artifact recipes be wonderful staples of the diet?
Or should Artifact recipes by complicated recipes that are nearly impossible to replicate?

Or should both be possible?

Should Artifact recipes involve combining things normally inedible that are only capable of being combined into food with the recipe?

Can Artifact recipes be cooked without original copy of the recipe? Can they be made from memory?

These are the questions folks.

Seeing most dwarves are  probably illiterate i'd bet the legendary pie could only be made by the cook who invented it... and after he suffers some kind of accident... well the recipie is gone for good.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 07:01:20 pm »

Nonsense, the recepie is engraved in a statue or engraving or something so as to ensure its preservation.  A statue of the cook beating an elf with his artifact pie.  The elf looks hungry.  The cook is laughing.

Adventurers could be sent on missions to recover the lost legendary cat brain cheese pie of Urist McMoodCook of BuriedTowers, and make rubbings of the engraving to carry it back to the Mountainhome. 

Artifact meals should probably be something that is difficult and lengthy enough to prepare that you would be unlikely to make them for everybody, unless the special property of the artifact meal is that it's easy to prepare or something, so that it's a super-high-quality meal that your entire fortress could enjoy.

Artifact meals should probably have at most one inedible component to create it, and many recepies should have purely normally edible components.  Microcline Pie should be a rare delicacy.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 07:07:12 pm »

Nonsense, the recepie is engraved in a statue or engraving or something so as to ensure its preservation.  A statue of the cook beating an elf with his artifact pie.  The elf looks hungry.  The cook is laughing.

Adventurers could be sent on missions to recover the lost legendary cat brain cheese pie of Urist McMoodCook of BuriedTowers, and make rubbings of the engraving to carry it back to the Mountainhome. 

Artifact meals should probably be something that is difficult and lengthy enough to prepare that you would be unlikely to make them for everybody, unless the special property of the artifact meal is that it's easy to prepare or something, so that it's a super-high-quality meal that your entire fortress could enjoy.

Artifact meals should probably have at most one inedible component to create it, and many recepies should have purely normally edible components.  Microcline Pie should be a rare delicacy.

THAT IS INGENIOUS

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 07:00:21 pm »

A statue of the cook beating an elf with his artifact pie.  The elf looks hungry.  The cook is laughing.
Sig'd.