Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche: 44.11+  (Read 135318 times)

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Pysche: 44.11+
« Reply #195 on: August 20, 2018, 05:07:47 am »

>'Caught in the rain' is currently the single strongest personality changer, sometimes causing multiple core values to be rewritten.
Do dwarves that love nature still get this?
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 20, 2018, 05:14:07 am »

>'Caught in the rain' is currently the single strongest personality changer, sometimes causing multiple core values to be rewritten.
I think maybe not. It may be coincidence but I haven't noticed any despair over being rained on at all and I'm mostly playing modded dorfs who on average enjoy being outside.

Dragonborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 20, 2018, 08:28:45 am »

In my last couple of forts, most if not all of the starting seven had the "loves outdoors, doesn't mind inclement weather" trait.  I didn't notice any personality changes within a few years, and I was doing above ground forts at the time.  Maybe it only happens to dwarves who hate the outdoors. I guess that makes sense.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 20, 2018, 12:36:15 pm »

I think maybe not. It may be coincidence but I haven't noticed any despair over being rained on at all and I'm mostly playing modded dorfs who on average enjoy being outside.

Yeah I agree. I am seeing miasma as the most common cause of personality changes, probably just due to it's common occurrence. Only once have I seen rained on, even though I do have outdoor meeting area and training. Also injury is another big one.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2018, 02:38:43 am »

Some issues I have with the stress system for residents:
- Residents are subject to the same needs as citizens, but are unable to satisfy the ones that involve work, which means a fair bit of the limited interventions you're actually able to do can't be applied to them. I don't use mercs, but it ought to be even worse with them?
- My Gremlin is going bonkers. She keeps getting mortified reliving being naked (Yes, in order to get clothes she needs to be a citizen so she can make Gremlin sized clothes in a workshop, as nobody else can make that size clothes, and that requires using DT, as vanilla doesn't allow allocating work to sapient "pets"). The weird thing is that recent thought say she felt nothing having various body parts uncovered. I suspect there was a personality change somewhere along the line, but the old memory apparently isn't reevaluated (the thoughts were viewed with a DFHack script, as vanilla doesn't display them).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2018, 03:46:11 am »

Some issues I have with the stress system for residents:
- Residents are subject to the same needs as citizens, but are unable to satisfy the ones that involve work, which means a fair bit of the limited interventions you're actually able to do can't be applied to them. I don't use mercs, but it ought to be even worse with them?
If a merc is bored of military life and dreams of being a lumberjack they need to be banished. You're paying them to fight for you, remember? (Abstracted right now of course). No problem as they don't usually have relatives to take with them.

"Cannot exile. Spouse not present"
Doh, f*ck, bollocks.

Well. No problem once the bugs are fixed anyway...

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2018, 03:19:17 pm »

Yeah I agree. I am seeing miasma as the most common cause of personality changes, probably just due to it's common occurrence. Only once have I seen rained on, even though I do have outdoor meeting area and training. Also injury is another big one.
Funny you should mention, I was just testing both of these in my Jungle Fort, which has a lot of outdoors projects.  I can confirm that a nature-loving personality is highly effective against outdoors stress, including rain.  Dorfs who vomit due to cave adaptation are still cranky though, no matter how much they love trees.  OP has been updated.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2018, 04:41:00 pm »

Thanks for confirming this. I make aboveground forts 90% of the time so that's a relief.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2018, 04:46:49 pm »

Thanks for confirming this. I make aboveground forts 90% of the time so that's a relief.
Mind you, a Dorf's personality is random as random gets, so the odds of having a large number of nature-lovers is quite low.  The few who do enjoy it should probably be assigned as wood cutters & herbalists.  Building above ground still requires a significant amount of Dwarf power; best solution there is probably to limit your building time.  Do it in bursts so that Dwarves have time to de-stress.

a52

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes crows for their intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2018, 06:36:29 pm »

A lot of my dwarves have had personality changes from seeing a certain kobold die (probably because his body is still just sitting outside where everybody can see it), and while a lot of the personality changes make sense (increases in sadism, becoming quick to anger, etc.) but some don't necessarily -- I saw one whose positive outlook was due to repeated horrified memories of death.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, in fact, I almost prefer it this way -- people will have very different responses to the same event. However, we should try to do some research (or just get the info directly from Toady) on what experiences can change what traits and in what directions, if possible.

Can also confirm that getting caught in the rain and drinking water without a well are some of the greatest personality changers in the game, simply because they are so common to every dwarf and happen so often. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, as repeated experiences of something different than what you're used to will change your outlook on life. The issue is when these two behaviors collide, and you get multiple, strange, and powerful personality changes just from drinking stagnant water too many times.

Like other people have reported, little thoughts like these also tend to be the greatest (and most difficult to satisfy) contributors to unhappiness and distraction. In my current fort, an engraver who constantly relives her husband's death is considerably happier than a fisherdwarf who mopes about not having enough to do, getting caught in the rain, being away from family, and being away from friends.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 24, 2018, 06:43:25 pm »

I think getting caught in the rain should almost never have any effect on personality. Having to constantly sleep outside in the rain is a different matter, but being rained on is pretty much a fact of life. Maybe we should be able to make umbrellas or water proofs from waxed pig tail cloth or something?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 24, 2018, 08:50:05 pm »

I think getting caught in the rain should almost never have any effect on personality. Having to constantly sleep outside in the rain is a different matter, but being rained on is pretty much a fact of life. Maybe we should be able to make umbrellas or water proofs from waxed pig tail cloth or something?
100% agree.  You'd think that Dwarves would already be impervious to rain, due to the sheer number of layers they tend to wear (hood, cloak, gloves, dress, dress, boots, dress).

fortunawhisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 24, 2018, 10:25:48 pm »

This doesn't appear to be correct.
- Cooking a favorite booze counts as drinking it

Eating a meal that contains a preferred drink ("minced dwarven ale") will result in a thought related to eating a good meal ("eating a fine dish") and satisfaction of the decent meals need ("unfettered after a good meal"), but no thoughts or need satisfaction related to drinks.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:31:25 pm by fortunawhisk »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2018, 01:15:27 am »

I had some migrants who had a long walk in the rain to get in the fortress.  By the time they got there, half of them had personality changes :-P  I'm RPing it as their long journey changing them, but I have to agree that rain is a bit OP in terms of freaking out dwarfs.  On the other hand, as someone said higher up in the thread, it makes some sense from the perspective of explaining why dwarfs live underground and why they generally don't like nature.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2018, 10:52:50 am »

This doesn't appear to be correct.
- Cooking a favorite booze counts as drinking it

Eating a meal that contains a preferred drink ("minced dwarven ale") will result in a thought related to eating a good meal ("eating a fine dish") and satisfaction of the decent meals need ("unfettered after a good meal"), but no thoughts or need satisfaction related to drinks.
Oh derp.  That's what I meant to say, eating a cooked booze counts towards favorite meals.  Good catch!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36