Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439013 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1770 on: August 28, 2016, 12:24:14 pm »

Does the main quèst ever get interesting? Hunting around and scanning stuff is totally old by the third one. The platformer fights are ok. I looked in the wiki and it looks the main quests are all the same thing. Go scan stuff fir archeology.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: August 28, 2016, 12:35:30 pm »

Does the main quèst ever get interesting? Hunting around and scanning stuff is totally old by the third one. The platformer fights are ok. I looked in the wiki and it looks the main quests are all the same thing. Go scan stuff fir archeology.

Yeah, that's all there is. Scan crap, fight boss, scan crap, fight boss, repeat until final boss dead. It's one of the most disappointing aspects of Starbound, IMO.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: August 28, 2016, 12:45:53 pm »

as long as you bookmark (with flags) large settlements when you find them, it isnt so bad.  You can knock out the scan quests pretty quickly, as I have found locations for each race around gentle and temperate stars.

It is designed to take you to progressively more dangerous places, forcing you to upgrade your environmental protection pack and hence advance through the crafting trees.  In practice, that isnt really the case.  You can find all the places on normal worlds.

there is some interesting lore in the codices you find.  other than that, it is all scan -> boss fight -> repeat -> final boss fight, as Sordid says.

the whole ancient creator vs destroyer mythos is explicitly laid out from the beginning, so there are no real surprises.  you do exactly what the lady says:  get the keys, unlock the ark, fight the big bad.

There is supposed to be some additional novakid lore in the pipeline, so maybe additional quest lines are coming.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: August 28, 2016, 12:56:09 pm »

If I had to point out the worst aspect of 1.0 Starbound, it'd definitely be the story.
Extremely straightforward and predictable. Not satisfying or involved enough or varied enough. (I know this is a Sandbox game, but there has to be something more than SCAN -> QUICK MISSION -> REPEAT.) The missions were kind of cool but all of them were easy, barring the Lunar outpost one.
And the actual story was just lame by itself.

It's not really a major flaw, though. Starbound is far and wide a sandbox game and story isn't the priority here.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: August 28, 2016, 01:06:41 pm »

It kinda runs headfirst into the same problem No Man's Sky ran into, with the sandbox. Its procedural generation is formulaic to ridiculous degrees, and with habitable planets with life and settlements being basically everywhere, instead of 0-2 per system, the player is going to run into repetitive patterns on his third or fourth star. Same kinds of monsters (with slightly different looks), same variety of minerals (modified by tier), same settlements and underground dungeons as in all other places with the same biomes. The progression system, such as it is, doesn't help matters one bit. The old-as-heck game Noctis, for all of its lack of combat, mining, NPCs, or anything at all besides flying about in a procedural galaxy, finding planets to land on and minding your fuel gauge, is actually far superior to both Starbound and No Man's Sky in the "sandbox exploration" department.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: August 28, 2016, 01:14:06 pm »

The difference between Starbound and NMS is that Starbound has actual gameplay.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 28, 2016, 01:18:35 pm »

excess of salt detected
Black lives matter.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: August 28, 2016, 01:22:53 pm »

Not ...really?
Unless you're referring to someone else?

Starbound has the ship, actual crafting, actual progression, and the like. It's definitely fine to not like Starbound, or to prefer NMS over Starbound, but really the only linking aspect of NMS and Starbound is "Procedural Generation". A pretty important part of ProcGen is how you use it.
Starbound, even though it's exploration based, uses it as more of a backdrop, though it is prominent. In NMS, it's the entire point of the game.

I'm not angry about any aspect of this. I just gave my opinion on the difference between two games.

Unless that post was meant for someone else. In which case, disregard everything I just said.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 28, 2016, 01:51:02 pm »

Not ...really?
Unless you're referring to someone else?

Starbound has the ship, actual crafting, actual progression, and the like. It's definitely fine to not like Starbound, or to prefer NMS over Starbound, but really the only linking aspect of NMS and Starbound is "Procedural Generation". A pretty important part of ProcGen is how you use it.
Starbound, even though it's exploration based, uses it as more of a backdrop, though it is prominent. In NMS, it's the entire point of the game.

I'm not angry about any aspect of this. I just gave my opinion on the difference between two games.

Unless that post was meant for someone else. In which case, disregard everything I just said.
I agree on the difference, I'm just pointing out how it has the same problems with the "sandbox", or at least the exploration part of it. You can do more in Starbound than in NMS in any given section of the sandbox, but it has the same problem where every section of the sandbox ends up being the same thing. The story is not helping, and you may as well be playing a game that does the building and combat parts better, just imagining yourself being part of a larger universe (there's counterparts like that for both NMS and Starbound).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 28, 2016, 02:24:21 pm »

We already have two let's-hate-NMS threads here. Can we please quit bringing it into threads for other games?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: August 28, 2016, 03:15:48 pm »

Starbound is the better game by a slim margin. Moving on.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: August 28, 2016, 03:28:29 pm »

Starbound is the better game by a slim margin. Moving on.
Nice "last word" attempt there.
But yeah. Let's keep Starbound to this thread and NMS to the other.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: August 28, 2016, 03:46:55 pm »

Hmm. I hadn't been paying much attention to No Man's Sky, so eh. Meanwhile, I've kinda burnt myself out on Starbound for the time being. Most of it was due to playing it rather heavily with a friend prior to the big update, and thus having to do things over again.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: September 06, 2016, 06:55:35 am »

ive got more playability out of starbound and elite dangerous than i have no mans sky or starmade .... so far

space engineers is buggy and laggy, starboudn at least is playable, has a plot and with some post 1.0 work and mods is pretty good

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: September 07, 2016, 05:50:32 pm »

novakids can now be put into youre colonies
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 130