Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1291761 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #1620 on: August 05, 2013, 01:59:15 pm »

Holy shit blaster bombs. Jesus Christ. I'm very far in, found an alien base, but left it alone so I can go harvest it for souls and lewt whenever I wish, I have power armor for everyone but rookies, and laser rifles for everyone.

My first Chryssalid mission comes. I know this because I jump off the shuttle to see a Snakeman about five feet away. I blow him away, and position my blaster launcher guys off to one side so they can bombard things. My riflemen spread out, advancing into the warehouse right next to me, and to the gas station on the other side. Across the street, I see a snakeman, then two chryssalids come from the shadows, with a zombie. Two blaster bombs not only kill them all, but it also levels half the block. I then proceed to carpet bomb the other side of the street with the rest of my remaining six blaster bombs, all my grenades, and the stun bombs from my small launcher. After the turn ends, I get a win, having only seen about five opponents out of twelve.

Collateral damage? Two dead civilians, plus the zombies the Chryssalids made. An entire city block leveled to rubble, ruins, and wreckage.
And my entire squad is alive, after my first ever chryssalid mission. Dat blaster bomb launcher.

X-com UFO defense
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: August 05, 2013, 03:54:41 pm »

"The crimson imp shouts!"
"The crimson imp shouts, 'Scamper home thou cockered boodle-bothering pigeon egg!' "
"You throw a glowing orcish hand axe."
"The glowing orcish handaxe hits the crimson imp!"
"You kill the crimson imp!"
"Trog accepts your kill."

I just one-shot a monster who's notorious for their regenerative abilities and their annoying persistence to kite melee players and prolong the battle.

I one-shot it with a thrown object.

I one-shot it by chunking an axe at its face. Tomahawks!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 05, 2013, 09:05:39 pm »

Beat the final boss for the first time, in a run from the first to last mission.  Even better though, I made not less than 4 top-10 level times, and got in the top 1% on every level but one.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: August 06, 2013, 12:26:12 am »

Does that mean you're first in the world(yeah I wish) or first on that computer?

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 06, 2013, 07:33:04 am »

First in the world, as far as I can tell.  Definitely not on one computer, because I hadn't played enough on mine to be able to be in many percentiles I get (say, 99.2%), but it may be by day or continent or something.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: August 06, 2013, 07:55:34 am »

Well, the river *did* get a little choked up with corpses...

I used magic in Skyrim to stagger bandits off their too-tall-towers. It was hilarious to hear "YOU'LL BE SO MUCH EASIER TO ROB WHEN YOU'RE DEAD!" as they fell to their deaths.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: August 06, 2013, 09:09:25 am »

I like the two towers with a bridge connecting them near whiterun in skyrim. Just use unrelenting force and watch them fly.

Yeah, i'm level 15, playing a spell sword, and I haven't done the main quest that far yet. :P
Dual casting destruction magic makes them stagger as in FUS RO, which works well enough.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: August 06, 2013, 09:58:54 am »

Playing some randomizer TF2.  I was stuck with a needlegun, razorback, and a bat.  One of the worst loadouts, but I managed to get a killing spree of at least 10 despite that setback. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: August 06, 2013, 01:41:13 pm »

Ok, I've pulled off a lot of wildly improbable victories playing this game, but they have been with either elite troops or cavalry. This one was silly.

Captain Alexander was marching a small company of mostly drooling Thracians and Illyrians up to reinforce the Macedonian seat in Rome when, apparently, scouts betrayed his position and the army of Secundus Afrianus, young noble of the House of Julii, charged down the Roman highway and caught the mercenary company out in the open. Captain Alexander sensibly retreated, figuring he was just at the limit of the Romans' range and he could regroup and seek safety near the full Macedonian armies guarding Rome. That wasn't the case.

Secundus Afrianus, leading a large though motley army of hastati, town guards, velites, a company of archers, and a partial company of equites – there may have been others – numbering a little over 1000, attacks Alexander on a modest-sized hill between Rome and Capua.

Alexander is commanding 2 companies of bastarnae (a unit I've never particularly loved, though Macedon's short on fighters who perform well on walls), 1 company of Thracians, 1 company of Illyrians, 1 company of mercenary peltasts, and 1 company of regular ordinary Macedonian archers. They resign themselves to glorious deaths and prepare to guard the hill as best they can.

Alexander destroys this attack.

Cursing violently and nursing a couple of sword wounds, Secundus Afrianus retreats to Arminium and commands a second army of 800 or so proper soldiers – including principes and more archers and war dogs – to annihilate the band of mercenary Greeks where he himself failed. (This attack also happens before I can do anything.)

Captain Alexander destroys this army as well.

Ridiculous!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:41:19 am by loose nut »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: August 06, 2013, 01:47:15 pm »

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: August 06, 2013, 01:56:27 pm »

Keyboard mishap. :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: August 06, 2013, 02:04:32 pm »

Ah, I see.

Gotta say, Rome has some amazing potential for moments of ownage. I remember when a single unit of mercenary slingers held off an entire siege of Greek warriors almost single-handedly. Twice.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: August 06, 2013, 02:27:00 pm »

Check dem stats.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: August 06, 2013, 04:59:22 pm »

Started as Livonia with the intent of reforming Suomenusko after consolidating my power enough to take on the blob that Holmgardr creates in order to acquire the Novgorodian holy site.(Livonia naturally controls a holy site and can easily get a second one from a 2 province duke, so kicking the crap out of Holmgardr is sufficient)

After starting I noticed that my dude was a humble ambitious priest. Scholar soon followed through an event. Quite appropriate for my goals, but not expecting anything good.

I start off my revoking a few counties of people plotting to kill me. Very carefully though. All the pagans can smell blood from miles away, and will jump on you the second they smell a civil war. I build some stuff in my capital, raid Novgorod and the Lettigallians whenever I get the chance and subjugate the Käkisalmi holy site.

My ruler gets to the ripe age of 47 and becomes posessed. I have 2 sons that will split my (meager) lands apart and Holmgardr was busy, so I decide to conquer Ingria. I overestimate my forces and am attacked by larger Holmgardrian forces at Narva. The fight goes quite evenly though, and we both lose half our armies. Luckily I had amassed some gold and attacked him with mercenaries. The loss of forces meant that 3 others instantly also declare wars(though they were only 2 province dukes). The siege was lengthy because of an alliance with Sweden, but I won eventually.

My ruler then became 51. My sons were both still very much alive. I didn't like the loss of prestige, but I had to break the truce with Holmgardr to reform before my ruler died. Pulled out the mercs again, and began another lengthy siege. I won 2 years later and instantly reformed the faith and changed my succession laws.

The year is 893, 26 years after the beginning of the game. An Estonian duke has reformed the Suomenusko and begun to construct a grand fleet of galleys, in order to raid the Norse. I expect this will be a fun playthrough.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: August 06, 2013, 07:39:18 pm »

Ah, I see.

Gotta say, Rome has some amazing potential for moments of ownage. I remember when a single unit of mercenary slingers held off an entire siege of Greek warriors almost single-handedly. Twice.

Once, playing as the greeks on hard Campaign/ Medium Battle difficulty, the Brutii laid siege to Corinth with three armies. The defensive force for Corinth was attacking Athens and all that was left was a bunch of half-1/3rd strength units of veterans, mostly Hoplites, with a couple Armored Hoplites and a unit of Spartans.

Right as the siege began, I managed to get my real army in range to be counted, and the battle starts. I set up my defenses, then switch to the big army outside the walls. The two generals in that army rush off to the north, and manage to pretty much halt the advance of one entire army of Romans. By the by, the Brutii had three full stack armies, mostly consisting of Early Legionaries, Princeps, Hastati, a few Triarii, a load of velites, and a shitpile of Equites and generals. And two generals stomped one of these armies pretty effectively. But I digress.

The defensive forces were holding, but losing, slowly giving ground. The Spartans were taking a horrific toll on the enemy, but with no missile units of my own, I was losing regardless of the massacre I performed on the melee units. Finally, just as I made the decision to fall back to the square out of the streets, the reinforcing hoplites arrived. Full units of armored Hoplites with silver experience filled in behind the weakened units, and the weak units fell back just as the next wave came.

After that, the rest of the battle was a curbstomp. My generals reaped a toll of souls as the enemy fled or was flanked and broken. It was a good day to be Greek.

(Play RTW long enough and you will have a hundred stories like that. I have one where I had a full army of Equites and Roman Cavalry and Generals versus three Egyptian Armies on an open plain. It was a battle of misdirection, flank attacks, and GLORIOUS CHARGES.)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 709