Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846685 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4470 on: June 20, 2016, 01:13:23 pm »

Toady means to allow grain/freight elevators and boats and such, all we hear is "crush shit with huge metal walls" it seems.

Isn't that kinda the standard for most new features? How can we use this to crush shit.

I'm looking forward to hearing how much we will really be able to do with it. Kinda hoping there will be some underwater building applications, instead of having to drain the ocean. Even just dropping a "box" of dwarves to the bottom of the ocean without flattening them would be pretty cool.
It's almost like you're trying to put Chief Medical Dwarves out of work ;)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: June 20, 2016, 01:26:02 pm »

I'm looking forward to hearing how much we will really be able to do with it. Kinda hoping there will be some underwater building applications, instead of having to drain the ocean. Even just dropping a "box" of dwarves to the bottom of the ocean without flattening them would be pretty cool.

You mean at long last, we could pull off a Journey to the Center of the Earth without cave-in logic ruining it?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

stinkasectomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: June 20, 2016, 09:52:38 pm »

with the new system of weapon and armour damage, do you intend to implement a way or repairing damage? if repairing is implemented, will it require more resources (some more bronze to repair a damaged bronze item etc). does (should?) the damage apply to artifacts? i like the idea of repairing any of my military's named items, even if they aren't artifacts.

will we see swords breaking into two separate pieces (blade/hilt etc), or gauntlets lose a finger, or chain mail lose some links? lots of fantasy about reforging broken swords, after all. items losing pieces would likely cause item bloat in many cases, and a pretty major rework even if it didnt bloat (so not any time soon i guess).

i would love to see the a quest to reforge the legendary hammer, "roughlung", a cat soap warhammer, broken when it struck the legendary...... well, pretty much anything really

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: June 20, 2016, 10:36:52 pm »

with the new system of weapon and armour damage, do you intend to implement a way or repairing damage? if repairing is implemented, will it require more resources (some more bronze to repair a damaged bronze item etc). does (should?) the damage apply to artifacts? i like the idea of repairing any of my military's named items, even if they aren't artifacts.

will we see swords breaking into two separate pieces (blade/hilt etc), or gauntlets lose a finger, or chain mail lose some links? lots of fantasy about reforging broken swords, after all. items losing pieces would likely cause item bloat in many cases, and a pretty major rework even if it didnt bloat (so not any time soon i guess).

i would love to see the a quest to reforge the legendary hammer, "roughlung", a cat soap warhammer, broken when it struck the legendary...... well, pretty much anything really
Strider dramatically pulls up leggings, "These are the pig-tail socks that were broken in a time before time, and have now been sewn anew."
Awed silence. Muffled laughter from the back of the room...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: June 20, 2016, 10:51:17 pm »

Way ahead of you guys, I already added some repair reactions to Adventurecraft.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: June 21, 2016, 08:30:01 am »

Just curious, are recipes and the cooking overhaul still on the table (so to speak) for the near future?

To be honest, it was my most anticipated feature for the entire tavern arc. It's always been a bit crazy to me that the game simulates 40 different species of grass but only three types of cooked food. :P

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: June 21, 2016, 08:36:57 am »

Are we going to be able to build and manage our own tavern in adv mode anytime soon? To be honest I've been waiting for this for years now and I feel that there is little missing - we can now build in adv mode and claim places for ourselves, but can't designate areas as taverns, brew drinks, prepare meals, serve customers or hire waitresses or entartainers. Please Toady, I've been waiting for years now.
Yes, I'm gay.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: June 21, 2016, 10:45:43 am »

Are we going to be able to build and manage our own tavern in adv mode anytime soon? To be honest I've been waiting for this for years now and I feel that there is little missing - we can now build in adv mode and claim places for ourselves, but can't designate areas as taverns, brew drinks, prepare meals, serve customers or hire waitresses or entartainers. Please Toady, I've been waiting for years now.

Taverns won't really work without economy. Quote from the "development" page:

"Without more economic activity, dealing with fortress mode tavern revenue and the supply of adventure mode taverns isn't the focus at this point."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: June 21, 2016, 10:57:00 am »

any plan to reorganize stragglers job interfaces (like jewlery workshopt) to the new system?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: June 21, 2016, 10:59:36 am »

You can designate tavern zones, and assign companions to them. However, as far as I've seen no one ever visits those places. And I've yet to determine whether an NPC assigned there will serve drinks or not. At a bare minimum, they don't seem to change unit type to tavern keeper, though since I don't think you can recruit tavern keepers, that might be a good thing.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: June 21, 2016, 11:11:42 am »

At a bare minimum, they don't seem to change unit type to tavern keeper, though since I don't think you can recruit tavern keepers, that might be a good thing.
"Ick... what is this?"
"Dwarven wine!"
"No it's not, and I don't see any plump helmets back there."
"What's a plump helmet?  I've been squeezing some dwarves who came to the inn last week."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: June 21, 2016, 12:31:03 pm »

"Ick... what is this?"
"Dwarven wine!"
"No it's not, and I don't see any plump helmets back there."
"What's a plump helmet?  I've been squeezing some dwarves who came to the inn last week."

Technically I meant to avoid any problems that "I'm retroactively unrecruitable" might cause, but that answer works too. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: June 21, 2016, 12:50:06 pm »

any plan to reorganize stragglers job interfaces (like jewlery workshopt) to the new system?

Questions should be limegreen.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: June 21, 2016, 04:20:07 pm »

You can designate tavern zones, and assign companions to them. However, as far as I've seen no one ever visits those places. And I've yet to determine whether an NPC assigned there will serve drinks or not. At a bare minimum, they don't seem to change unit type to tavern keeper, though since I don't think you can recruit tavern keepers, that might be a good thing.
Toady already said this is an unfinished feature that won't do anything right now in last month's future of the fortress reply.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: June 21, 2016, 07:58:33 pm »

Wonder if the manager will get any upgrades for things beyond workshop orders. Like mine x amount of coal or fell x amount of sand pear trees.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 306