Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Lifevis - A realtime 3D interface for DF - Now with more Speed!  (Read 77397 times)

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf beautification project
« Reply #165 on: November 12, 2008, 01:47:21 pm »

What kind of system specs do you have?

Please paste the text file you can save with Start -> Run -> dxdiag onto pastebin.ca or similar service.

Also, are you seeing anything in the error.txt file?

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2008, 11:37:19 am »

my error.txt file is empty
and here is my Dxdiag:
http://pastebin.ca/1255324
also my Q6600 is overclocked to 3.6GHz and my gfx card is overclocked a tad aswell
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2008, 01:26:35 pm »

Thanks. :)

As for adventure mode ... I had no idea. Apparently it kinda works. :D But at one point it horribly died for me.

Actually I think this might be even more useful for adventure than fortress mode. Exploring in mountaneous terrain is annoying in 2d mode and there is (I guess) less speed issues because it's turn based.

Good job btw, you are a real hero.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2008, 09:40:57 pm »

my error.txt file is empty
and here is my Dxdiag:
http://pastebin.ca/1255324
also my Q6600 is overclocked to 3.6GHz and my gfx card is overclocked a tad aswell
Thanks for the info so far. Sadly pastebin.ca is acting up for me and not loading, but maybe that clears up tomorrow. Aside from that, from what you've told me, i can only guess that your drivers aren't quite up-to-date. Overclocking shouldn't be an issue.

You can also try uploading a copy of your region file at http://drop.io so i can check if anything is wrong with it.

That all aside, please download the latest version. It should run decidedly better.

Actually I think this might be even more useful for adventure than fortress mode. Exploring in mountaneous terrain is annoying in 2d mode and there is (I guess) less speed issues because it's turn based.
I noticed that myself. It seems to be fairly unintensive, compared with the Fortress mode. Also, thanks for the flowers. :)

roblob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2008, 05:31:09 am »

Hi,

I'm also getting the following error when running Lifevis:

Can't load 'D:/downloads/games/dwarf fortress/Lifevis/site/lib/auto/Win32/GuiTest/GuiTest.dll' for module Win32::GuiTest: load_file:This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem at D:/downloads/games/dwarf fortress/Lifevis/site/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 202.
 at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 104
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 104.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 104.
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis\Launcher.pm line 19.

I'm running the latest version of Lifevis and I've updated graphics drivers and directx, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2008, 06:59:09 am »

As i told the other dude with that problem before, please install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2008, 12:41:25 pm »

with that many details on creatures in the next release how about generating the creature Graphics procedural from the raws?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2008, 03:45:39 pm »

with that many details on creatures in the next release how about generating the creature Graphics procedural from the raws?

Might be possible in the next version.  Right now bodies aren't specific enough.

e: oops, you already said "next release"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 04:56:40 pm by Footkerchief »

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2008, 04:53:34 pm »

Hey fuck you guys. :(

My mind is mapping out how to do stuff like that now.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2008, 04:58:32 pm »

That would be just like Slaves to Armok all around. A true torment.
<3

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2008, 05:47:01 pm »

Did I mention that we love your work and you are an awesome dude? :D

Never could get it to work, but oh well, need to get a new computer one of these days anyway, this will be another reason for me to hurry up with the money saving.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

mport2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 14, 2008, 05:51:53 pm »

I must say you are doing a fantastic job with this add-on so far. 
In the vid you mentioned that you didn’t have models for most of the items yet so would you possibly be accepting admissions for possible models if we happened to have the capability of making a few of them?  Also what program do you use when creating the models?

kasker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 14, 2008, 08:00:07 pm »

This is awesome. Models are in .obj so any program should work. I'll be making some models myself in my spare time and post them for anybody to use. Mithaldu is there a recommended triangle count for models? I got only the performance of my own comp to go by.

roblob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2008, 01:38:39 am »

As i told the other dude with that problem before, please install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en

Forgot to mention it, but I did install that from reading the previous posts. No help there.

But it's my work computer that's acting up so I have to wait 'til Monday to try any other fixes. ;D

Anyway, thanks for this brilliant project. Keep up the great work!

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2008, 08:10:05 am »

That would be just like Slaves to Armok all around. A true torment.
Only for the dorfs. You need to keep in mind that writing an interface for an existing game is different than writing the game and the interface at the same time. ;)

Never could get it to work
Next thing i'll do is make this compatible with computers who can't do occlusion queries. :)

would you possibly be accepting admissions for possible models?  Also what program do you use when creating the models?
All that and more is answered in the readme and in the following thread. :) http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25521.msg294382#msg294382
In short: Yes, Wings 3D or whatever you like that can do ".obj". :D

I'll be making some models myself in my spare time and post them for anybody to use.
Awesome! Please do note the thread linked above though. It has a bunch more info. =)
is there a recommended triangle count for models?
My target for now is ~1000 polys.

Forgot to mention it, but I did install that from reading the previous posts. No help there.
Sorry to hear. Maybe this helps: [ http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en ] I think i got the wrong link in the previous post. I really need to add this to a FAQ file.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18