Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 246245 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Only a simple mind can be certain.

demonman24

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2012, 05:57:13 pm »

There should be a part of the tech tree that involves using urchins for metalworking, cloth-making, sewing, electronic components, and blowing glass for vacuum tubes, because they have small, nimble fingers that will make better stitching, smaller rivets and gears, tighter weaves,  and tiny vacuum tubes and electronics, to allow for more miniaturized computers.

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2012, 04:04:27 pm »

We're playing with a lot of things as far as the more sophisticated systems go. 

Our current system operates very much like a flow chart, with various resources and energy sources being combined with buildings that convert them into other things, and it turns out that even this simple system can create a lot of really weird, really cool stuff.

Vacuum tubes are great logic gate material, and we *are* thinking about that right now.  Hm...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2012, 04:09:12 pm »

Oh dear, logic gates. That could get confusing (and large, but rather interesting) quickly.
Also hello again, Daniel! :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2012, 04:11:51 pm »

PTW, because this looks bloody awesome.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2012, 04:14:43 pm »

Have I mentioned that I love you guys?

Like, sexually?

Planetary Annihilation, the Homestuck Adventure game, Castle Story, and now this game?

Someone just needs to make another Alpha Centauri-style game and an updated SimEarth and I will be set for like... life.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2012, 04:15:54 pm »

Lovecraftian logic gates...that sounds awesome. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2012, 04:17:43 pm »

Have I mentioned that I love you guys?
Yes, if you mean bay12. if you're talking about gaslamp you may or maynot have before. Or your avatar is being confused with someone else's, sorry ;)
Like, sexually?
Nope.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2012, 04:18:51 pm »

We're playing with a lot of things as far as the more sophisticated systems go. 

Our current system operates very much like a flow chart, with various resources and energy sources being combined with buildings that convert them into other things, and it turns out that even this simple system can create a lot of really weird, really cool stuff.

Vacuum tubes are great logic gate material, and we *are* thinking about that right now.  Hm...

Being able to build (large) (semi-)automatic contraptions that actually fulfill some purpose would be pretty cool and really fitting for a steampunk game named Clockwork Empires. Like in Dwarf Fortess you can build more or less automated obsidian farms, magma/water/freezing traps or even giant dwarf statues that fart fire on command. These projects are a bit too complicated in DF for my taste but that's mainly because setting up logic gates and timing the triggers is so much work.

Tesla's Deathray comes to mind...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:22:51 pm by Blah »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2012, 04:19:01 pm »

I meant Gaslamp.

Bay12 can suck it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gaslamp-Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »

It could get really confusing, which is why our current system doesn't involve them.  Still, like DF's levers, you can do such awesome things with a simple diode that it's worth considering.

Also, hi again! =D

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2012, 04:22:31 pm »

Theres also the potential for problems Fun if you leave multiple unlabelled levers around in df too.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2012, 04:23:25 pm »

Oh, wow. I do believe that I really like your team, just by that interview.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2012, 05:24:18 pm »

I don't think most of us here would mind a bit of added complexity if things like logic gates and diodes and vaccume tubes become the standard for here-onto automated factories and the like in Clockwork Empires.  But remember, there should always be a downside to everything!

If we set up an mostly automated factory, and then something goes wrong; no one is going to know hiow to fix it cause no one working at the factory has the nessissary skills to do so.   So maintaince =\= automation + production levels.

You could even add in a system that measures the automations complexity, saying that if its too complex, people will start to fear it, thus causing madness, but from the other end of the scale.  Mwhahaha.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2012, 05:27:26 pm »

Or if its too complex, you start getting mechanics that can't fix anything simpler because of the madness warping their sense of scale.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 105